GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"how do you put new content into a small window thing?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/09/04 at 12:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well basically, i would like to open a new page inside the hompage, so that veiwers wouldn't have to load a whole new page.

here is an example of what i would like - [URL]http://www.knoxskorner.com[/URL]

if you can see the navigation and everything except the main content stays when you open a new page.

how would i do that? I'm pretty sure it's to do with PHP but besides that i haven't a clue.

thanks for any help bessant.
Sat 18/09/04 at 12:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well basically, i would like to open a new page inside the hompage, so that veiwers wouldn't have to load a whole new page.

here is an example of what i would like - [URL]http://www.knoxskorner.com[/URL]

if you can see the navigation and everything except the main content stays when you open a new page.

how would i do that? I'm pretty sure it's to do with PHP but besides that i haven't a clue.

thanks for any help bessant.
Sat 18/09/04 at 12:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
PHP includes.

Make a load of .txt files, or .data if you learn to do it on the fly, then link to the required file in the page using (for example):

http://www.mysitename.com/index.php?id=filename

'index.php' is the page you want to load the file in
'?id' assigns the value 'filename' to the variable 'id'

Then in your HTML coding you have this:

$format = ".txt";
$file = "$id$format";

if(file_exists("$file") == TRUE)
{ include("$file"); }
else
{ print("Sorry, that file does not exist."); }

?>

And don't forget to rename index.html to index.php, or it won't work. And check that your host actually supports PHP, or it definitely won't work.
Sat 18/09/04 at 12:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Just had a look at that site: for the Lord our saviour Jesus Christ's soul, sake and sandals, don't use frames or iframes.

I'd probably use Flash to make something quick and easy, that works cross-browser, and you can do more interesting stuff with it, should you wish to do so.
Sat 18/09/04 at 12:49
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
monkey_man wrote:
> I'd probably use Flash to make something quick and easy, that works
> cross-browser, and you can do more interesting stuff with it, should
> you wish to do so.

It would work very easyly if, my navigation bar wasn't flash, my content wasn't flash, basically everything but some text and links at the bottom and the content is flash.

i'll try the PHP thing that you said before, and i'm pretty sure the host supports PHP.

thanks.
Sat 18/09/04 at 15:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Anyway, what is wrong with frames and Iframes anyway?
Sat 18/09/04 at 19:10
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> Anyway, what is wrong with frames and Iframes anyway?

All you need top knwo is frames suck. I haven't built a site using frames since 1998!

You can acheive exactly what you want using CSS, thi smakes the site more search engine friendly and easier to maintain.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.