GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain Registry Services - scam."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/09/04 at 14:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just a quick warning to everyone who owns a domain name. I've received four separate letters in the post this morning from the 'Domain Registry Services' company, claiming that I have 4 domain names that need renewing via them.

This is in fact a scam. They claim that I need to pay them a renewal fee of £60 to keep my domain name active, but the truth is that they have nothing to do with my domain names. You can [URL]http://www.nic.uk/News/PressReleases/2004PressReleases/NominetUkWarnsOfNewInternetInvoicingScam.html[/URL] to see Nominets news piece on the subject.

If you get a letter from them asking for £60 for a 2 year renewal, then ignore it. Contact your domain agent and / or Nominet if you're concerned.

The truth is the four domain names in question did need renewing soon, but I had this done last week by my official agents. It shows that the Domain Registry Services are keeping tabs on domains up for renewal, so don't be fooled.

If you domain name needs renewing, your domain agent should contact you first, followed by Nominet if needed. No third party should be involved.

When in doubt, don't pay out, contact Nominet or your domain agent for help.
Thu 16/09/04 at 14:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just a quick warning to everyone who owns a domain name. I've received four separate letters in the post this morning from the 'Domain Registry Services' company, claiming that I have 4 domain names that need renewing via them.

This is in fact a scam. They claim that I need to pay them a renewal fee of £60 to keep my domain name active, but the truth is that they have nothing to do with my domain names. You can [URL]http://www.nic.uk/News/PressReleases/2004PressReleases/NominetUkWarnsOfNewInternetInvoicingScam.html[/URL] to see Nominets news piece on the subject.

If you get a letter from them asking for £60 for a 2 year renewal, then ignore it. Contact your domain agent and / or Nominet if you're concerned.

The truth is the four domain names in question did need renewing soon, but I had this done last week by my official agents. It shows that the Domain Registry Services are keeping tabs on domains up for renewal, so don't be fooled.

If you domain name needs renewing, your domain agent should contact you first, followed by Nominet if needed. No third party should be involved.

When in doubt, don't pay out, contact Nominet or your domain agent for help.
Thu 16/09/04 at 15:22
Regular
"Freeola Support"
We recommend any of these be sent to Trading Standards, to find you local office please goto [URL]http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/[/URL] and input your postcode. if you have any queries about your domain always contact the Registrar.
Fri 17/09/04 at 14:26
Regular
This is a REALLY important point. We can't stress enough that you are responsible for renewing with your own managing registrants and you should keep up to date with checking this. Always check with them if you are in any doubt if they've sent out a reminder.

Some of these scams are asking for as much as £120.00
Fri 17/09/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Freeola & GetDotted wrote:
> Some of these scams are asking for as much as £120.00
No joking there, the current scam out at the moment is charging £60 for a single years renewal for GLTD domains and some very nasty small print terms and conditions as well.
Fri 17/09/04 at 17:24
Regular
The terms & conditions basically involve you paying large sums of money for very little (as do most things in life to be fair!) ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.