GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uni"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/09/04 at 10:53
Regular
"NULL"
Tig - I just got info thru on my accommodation for York. Goodricke Block A. If I remember correctly, Goodricke was the college that all the student guides were telling us was the one you really didn't want to be in.

According to the handbook, Goodricke doesn't have Network, but I phoned York and they've added it in over the summer - lucky escape! And it's a Standard room not ensuite. On the plus side, it's a lot cheaper!
Thu 16/09/04 at 10:53
Regular
"NULL"
Tig - I just got info thru on my accommodation for York. Goodricke Block A. If I remember correctly, Goodricke was the college that all the student guides were telling us was the one you really didn't want to be in.

According to the handbook, Goodricke doesn't have Network, but I phoned York and they've added it in over the summer - lucky escape! And it's a Standard room not ensuite. On the plus side, it's a lot cheaper!
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Whoo!! Lucky you - at least you know what to expect! My accomodation details still haven't come through.

We'll have to organise some LAN sessions. We should talk to the computer admin guys to see if they'll allow downloading/gaming or other bandwidth hogging activities after a certain time when the network has excess capacity.
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:34
Download iTunes as well for free music. It has a LAN feature that allows you to listen to other people's collections.
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:35
Regular
If you've not managed to get uni accom with a network does this mean that you'll be stuck with dial-up?

It may be worth checking out if these are BT lines (some uni's do) and then check out Freeola's offers for ADSL! Think that you would be very interested by the number of services offered, the standards and benefitting from Freeola's massive range of free & unlimited facilities & services.
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:46
Huzzah! Most probably the phone line will be localized, i.e. only accessible to other halls in the vicinity, requiring a phone card for outside calls.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:34
Regular
"NULL"
tigamilla wrote:
> We'll have to organise some LAN sessions. We should talk to the
> computer admin guys to see if they'll allow downloading/gaming or
> other bandwidth hogging activities after a certain time when the
> network has excess capacity.

According to the handbook, computer games or similar "bandwidth intensive" things are strictly prohibited. And also "personal computer networks between study-bedrooms" aren't allowed either - so no wireless network then - unless we can hide it ;) Not quite sure why they don't allow those though.

FreeolaAdministrator wrote:
> If you've not managed to get uni accom with a network does this mean
> that you'll be stuck with dial-up?
>
> It may be worth checking out if these are BT lines (some uni's do)
> and then check out Freeola's offers for ADSL! Think that you would be
> very interested by the number of services offered, the standards and
> benefitting from Freeola's massive range of free & unlimited
> facilities & services.

I don't have a phone in my room, but for those who do, they can access dial-up via a phonecard system called Dog'n'Bone - something about them being the best ISP to use because they're who you have to get phonecards from and charge more per minute for most 0845 numbers than for their own ISP. Something like that anyway.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:37
For what it's worth, I've hosted a few Halo LAN sessions and they've been fine. Also, I once scheduled a few downloads that went out continuously for 3 days, and no cut off.

They vary across unis though, of course.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:43
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
lcarus wrote:
Stuff that I dont care about.

Get online mr.God person that i need online right now please thank you thank you please.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:45
Really, all you need is a cat5 cable and the PCI card.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:49
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Suuuuuure?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.