GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading PC, advice needed from intelligent people."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/09/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I think mp PC is in need of a bit of a an overhaul.
Current specs:

Dell Dimension DIM4500
Pentium 4 Processor
2.54Ghz
256MB 266MHZ DDR RAM
64MB Geforce 4 MX420

I'm looking to double the RAM and the graphics card to 512MB and 128Mb respectively.
Now, the cheapest place I can find compatible RAM is Crucial Technology:
[URL]http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Dimension+4500+Series&submit=Go[/URL]

I was going to go for the 256Mb stick, but was having second thoughts and thinking the 512 stick may be better. What do you lot think?

And as for the graphics card, I don't have one in mind and would like a decent recommendation for one under £160.
Help muchly appreciated.
Mon 20/09/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Nikon F75.
My lens is 28 - 100mm so not as good as your mates. But still pretty damn good.
Mon 20/09/04 at 22:00
"I love yo... lamp."
Oh right. What type of camera did you get? I mate of mine is a photographer and was gushing about his new 110 mm lens. Stupid big glass ball thing.
Mon 20/09/04 at 21:52
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Just turned out I had to spend £250 on a SLR camera for photography (AS Level type thing) so that's my savings for upgrading gone. Dammit..

Anyway.
Thanks a lot for your help people, and if my next robbery works out I'll definitely get that card you recommended, NB.
Fri 17/09/04 at 13:12
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Just ordered an Asus AX800Pro 256MB AGP GFX card. £314 inc delivery. (£249 before VAT/Del). More cuffed at the fact it's will over clock to 530/600(1200) and flash to an X800XT PE!!
Fri 17/09/04 at 12:28
"I love yo... lamp."
RoJ wrote:
> Cheers.
> Yeah, I do have an AGP slot.
>
> Can I buy that card in PC World or similar? Would it be around the
> same price?
>
> And as for the RAM, I remember reading somewhere that it was best to
> keep equal banks of the same number, eg. x2 256Mb or x2 512Mb.
> Rubbish?

I don't expect it would be as cheap as that in PC World. If they stock it.

As for the RAM, a long time ago that was true, now it all works together a whole lot better. Don't worry about it.
Thu 16/09/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
RoJ wrote:
> Cheers.
> Yeah, I do have an AGP slot.
>
> Can I buy that card in PC World or similar? Would it be around the
> same price?
>
> And as for the RAM, I remember reading somewhere that it was best to
> keep equal banks of the same number, eg. x2 256Mb or x2 512Mb.
> Rubbish?

No.... buying online will net you a SERIOUS discount in gfx card prices. PC World will charge considerable premiums on there cards.

Never buy PC World if you can help it.
Wed 15/09/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Cheers.
Yeah, I do have an AGP slot.

Can I buy that card in PC World or similar? Would it be around the same price?

And as for the RAM, I remember reading somewhere that it was best to keep equal banks of the same number, eg. x2 256Mb or x2 512Mb.
Rubbish?
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:27
"I love yo... lamp."
It will almost certainly be AGP, it can't be onboard otherwise he would have had 320 MB of RAM.

If you can stretch the extra £16, this is the graphics card to get [URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800.html[/URL] - if not then get the Radeon 9800 Pro. First of all though make sure your motherboard does have an AGP slot.

As for the memory, the more the merrier.
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:09
Regular
"NULL"
What graphics do you have at the moment? Onboard? AGP card? PCI card?
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I think mp PC is in need of a bit of a an overhaul.
Current specs:

Dell Dimension DIM4500
Pentium 4 Processor
2.54Ghz
256MB 266MHZ DDR RAM
64MB Geforce 4 MX420

I'm looking to double the RAM and the graphics card to 512MB and 128Mb respectively.
Now, the cheapest place I can find compatible RAM is Crucial Technology:
[URL]http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Dimension+4500+Series&submit=Go[/URL]

I was going to go for the 256Mb stick, but was having second thoughts and thinking the 512 stick may be better. What do you lot think?

And as for the graphics card, I don't have one in mind and would like a decent recommendation for one under £160.
Help muchly appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.