GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega Sympathies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/05/01 at 21:35
Regular
Looking around my local games store yesterday, I was slightly surprised to note two young boys saying "I feel really sorry for the Dreamcast". What, I thought? How can you feel sorry for a games consoles? Isn't it just a rather odd-looking and inanimate object?

Of course, thinking about it afterwards, I can certainly see what they mean. The Dreamcast's graphics do seem to rival the PS2, and the console hasn't taken off like some people think it ought to have done.

But think about it logically. Why hasn't the DC taken off? Because people haven't bought it and many of it's games. Why not? Because they didn't think it would be any good. Why? Because Sega have let them down in the past.

Which leads me onto another point. Why have the Saturn and Dreamcast done so badly? I think that this was because of the very bad timing of both releases.

When the Saturn was released, it was of the standard to compete with the Megadrive (I know that it's sega's product too), and the SNES. Compared to these consoles, it was pretty good. What Sega didn't realise was that the PSX and N64 were to be released within the next couple of years. Anticipation of these consoles and what they could do clearly meant that the Saturn was left with a bunch of old graphics and games that were being left behind by a new generation of consoles.

Then along comes the Dreamcast. Once again, it is of a very good standard to compete with the PSX and N64. However, in a year or too, the PS2 comes, and soon the Gamecube and X-Box. The Dreamcast looks good today, but can only be compared with the PSX, N64, and the first few games of the PS2. It looks as if the Dreamcast is reaching the end of its potential, and the PS2 is set to do nothing but improve.

Sega clearly agree with me, and have made massive price cuts, and have essentially pulled out of the console buisness.

Therefore, it does annoy me to hear people being "sorry for the dreamcast". If you want to be sorry for somebody/something, think about people in Kosovo fighting for their lives. Think about Brazilians waiting for years and months on long waiting lists for the most basic sort of housing available that is likely to stay up for more than a week. What is the world coming to, when despite all the problems the world has, people can only be sorry for "Sega".

That may sound a bit over the top, but I can see no reason for this sympathy. Sega have done it wrong. People don't like their consoles anymore (not at full price anyway). As far as I can see, that's Sega's problem and not ours. They brought it upon themselves.
Sat 05/05/01 at 14:13
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
No honour, its just something i said i could see happening ;-) Been thinking more about it actually.

Was thinking if it were to materialise, it'd be great if english companies such as rare and studio liverpool (formally psygnosis) were to make games for it. A new Brit invasion except instead of music, this time it'd be games ;-)) I think this country has proved it can make great games, so why not great consoles too ? Come on Branson ! Lead the way ! ;-))

Sat 05/05/01 at 14:03
Regular
Why would he need a rumble pack? There's loads of sheep in wales.
Sat 05/05/01 at 14:01
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I never new a console could be anything but a virgin... unless its one of Grixes, of course. We all know what he does with his rumble paks....
Sat 05/05/01 at 13:59
Regular
I seem to be a bit behind the news here.

What is the virgin console? Is anything confirmed or is it just rumours?
Sat 05/05/01 at 13:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So if the Virgin console does come through, would anyone here be interested in purchasing it ? Obviously if it were good we would, what i mean is, would it get you looking for more info ? :-)

Just think people, an English console ;-))

Sat 05/05/01 at 13:31
Regular
I agree with the Virgin console... it probably will happen.

I do feel sorry for the Dreamcast, and that's the reason why I'm going to get one... as soon as my exams are over.

Good things come to those that wait, apparently.
Sat 05/05/01 at 13:05
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think the other companies can learn a valuable lesson from Sega. The Megadrive was a very popular console and sold very well. But Sega came up with the Mega CD and 32X attachments which were very expensive at the time when not doing anything particularly new. Of course spending £300 on a new console is the norm nowadays, but back then you'd be paying out around £150, so flying upto a £300 price tag was considered taking the pee shall we say - especially when the Mega CD hardly broke massive boundries.

Credit to Sega for experimenting, we wouldn't be where we are today if not for companies doing this. But I think Sega got a little greedy with the money they were asking for and that continued with the Saturn. After making those 2 recent flops, they decided the way to come back was to release a console with a £400 price tag ! Disgusting even by todays standards when forking out for a console.

Not only did the public (at least the majority) show Sega where they could shove that idea, a couple of months later, Sony released they're Playstation which showed better graphics (not so important but on release they help to show how powerful the console is). They added a £300 price tag and from there people bought Sony's console and the PS craze began. Before then the fight for customers had been between Sega and Nintendo, but with Sega shooting themselves in the foot and Nintendo taking too much time to get they're next console out, Sony picked the right moment to enter the arena and start cleaning house.

Sega finally released the Dreamcast and it was an excellent console with an acceptable price tag. Unfortunatly, especially with the PS2 on its way, people just thought that like the Saturn to the PS1, this console would be inferior and decided to hold back in wait for Sony's new machine. For Sega, it was really too late and thats ashame. At least they can still make they're excellent games and we'll still be able to enjoy them. It would be a real disaster if players could no longer experience the excellent Sega titles such as Sonic, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Ecco the Dolphin, Crazy Taxi, etc. Top class games and I'm surprised Streets of Rage hasn't made a new appearance. Maybe it will now that Sega will concentrate mainly on games.

Soon enough Microsoft will make up the numbers again and they do look like being a good competitor on the games market. Lots of people know Microsoft from PC's which are in just about every household nowadays. Lots of people enjoy PC games and will be drawn to the X-Box because of this. Almost wonder how long it will be before Branson enters the games market with a Virgin console ;-))

Overall though, I hope Sega's fate isn't shared by other companies cause a healthy competition helps improve the consoles and games, if one is left alone to dominate, then the companies won't feel much need to improve anymore.

Sat 05/05/01 at 07:16
Regular
I agree that the DC is a decent console, but I don't believe that anyone can deny that the Sega Saturn was an absolute disaster, which just about killed Sega at the time. The company have been forced to lower prices and take a different tact when the Dreamcast hasn't sold as much as they might have hoped.
Sat 05/05/01 at 02:45
If SEGA had anounced bancrupcy and packed up completely I might have felt sorry for them, but frankly being a Nintendo kinda guy I can see a definite upside to SEGAs misfortune. Good games coming my way to the GC. I never realy respected SEGA as a console manufacturer due to them having so many faliures like the 32X and Mega CD. SEGA just don't seem to support their own machines, they just give up on them when the going gets tough.

I have however always enjoyed the games they make and especially the ones down the arcade. I look forward to SEGAs working solely as a games developer and hope they bring a few origional titles to other consoles as well as some older classics.
Fri 04/05/01 at 23:58
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't know where all your history from but Sega aren't really in troubled times.

Every company in the industry has their special talents, making games is Sega's. It is what they do, they make games and they are VERY good at it. Look at the arcades, more and more innovative methods of gameplay and graphics. The new Naomi 2 chip will work wonders for Sega's arecade machines and can definitely expect this arcade revival to happen soon.

Interaction is the key in arcades, people can play MSR at home but not in a super-pod with a steering wheel and gears etc. Sega have a lot going for them, not just in the arcades but at the home aswell. They are porting Outrun to mobile phones, Chu Chu Rocket and others to Set-Top boxes (Sky) and above all they have games planned or in development for The GAMECUBE, PS2 ans X-Box.

They don't need to worry about hardware, all they need to look at is games and if we see Shenmue on the Gamecube or PS2 or even the X-Box Sega will be laughing...all the way to the bank. The pressure is on everyone else, Nintendo and a christmas launch, Microsoft and developers, PS2 and fixing broken third party relationships. Sega and....nothing, they can makes game to their hearts content...make money from it and have a ball.

Becuase of this we are almost 100% guaranteed to see some brilliant games on the Next-Gen consoles. time and dedication will mean that even games like Shenmue will be surpassed and new titles will be crowned.

I don't have sympathy for Sega, the same as you...but unlike you, I don't think Sega did anything wrong, how can they have...okay so the DC didn't do VERY well in sales but Sega are in the best position ever, they can develop what they want, who for and when. And hey, the Dreamcast still has some life in it yet...:D Sonic Adventure 2 anyone?!

Yeah...

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.