GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Warhammer 40,000: dawn of war'.
Wed 19/01/05 at 11:29
Regular
Nabbed this from PC World last night.

Really enjoying it so far, only played it for around an hour and a half, did the comprehensive tutorial, watched the awesome introduction, had a gander at the custom squad creation and was mightily impressed by all.

Visually a very nice game, very similar in style to Command and Conquer Generals although without the extreme EA style polish. Audio wise very good, decent bass, sound effects and musical score.

Biggest bonus is the pick up and play nature of the gameplay and for a game that feels so easy to pick up and play it is surprisingly quite deep. Follows suit with the Command and Conquer series, you build a base, you build squads of soldiers, upgrade those squads and go to war. Instead of having objectives based around destroying your enemies base/s you have to play the RTS style Capture the Flag only there is no flag and instead you have points on the map you have to get to before your enemies.

This style of gameplay suits those who like to attack from the word go as you can't just sit back and build a massive army, you have to play full on going hell for leather from the word go, makes for some fast paced and really interesting gaming.

Haven't taken it online as I am currently switching ISP's. Solely based on the single player so far, big thumbs up!
Sat 22/01/05 at 21:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I liked the resource management, thought it was handled quite well. No pointless searching out of precious deposits and having to protect mining transports as they collect it, just find a strategic point, re-enforce and hold.

You can even employ hit and run strategies to attack the enemies resource's.
Fri 21/01/05 at 19:52
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Just installed 40k. Quite impressed so far. Particularly like the building structures dropped from orbit. :D
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:01
Regular
"8==="
Hero Quest was alright for the time.
Fri 21/01/05 at 16:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Yeah, don't really bother with mods but I would definitley grab an
> expansion pack.

Yeah, mods can be a little hit and miss, but with Dawn of War being the only decent Games Workshop game ever, fans of the board game have already been quick to jump on this one, so there's already plenty in development.

Unless they're going to provide a few new decent single player campaigns though, I'll probably not bother. Also, expansion pack will introduce two new species from the Warhammer universe, the Tyranids and some type of Bio-monsters.
Fri 21/01/05 at 11:11
Regular
Played a few Skirmish' last night and to be honest I am enjoying it more than I did with Command and Conquer Generals. There is a fair amount of depth on offer for what can appear quite a simple and shallow game at times. The upgrades and customisation on offer are first rate.

The biggest bonus is the fact that your enemies can't just build a f**k off super weapon that will end hours and hours of play time within seconds and instead it varies from long distance sniping to close melee combat smashing someone in the face with an axe. Quite a gory and twisted game in areas.

RTS fans should love it though, top stuff!
Thu 20/01/05 at 20:15
Regular
I see. I had a look on there but in the end all I wanted to do was PLAY the game.
Thu 20/01/05 at 20:07
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Damarus wrote:
> Pandaemonium wrote:
> Just got this off [mention of competititor] for 13 quid.
>
> A clue please.

[URL]http://www.bayphotoclub.com/[/URL]
Thu 20/01/05 at 17:30
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Just got this off [mention of competititor] for 13 quid.

A clue please.
Thu 20/01/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Just got this off [mention of competititor] for 13 quid. Quite like the look of even thought I've gone off RTS games a bit (never finished Generals) and Since I was a massive fan of the 40k universe, painted the minitures and played the Realm Of Chaos and 40k wargames, this looks pretty cool.

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes. It looks like a fast moving RTS that might be suprising fun online.
Thu 20/01/05 at 12:55
Regular
cipro wrote:
> Pity there is only one campaign though, I'd have loved to have played
> as all four races in single player. Plenty of mods already in the
> works though, all adding other species from the Warhammer universe,
> and I hear there's an expansion in the works as well.

Yeah, don't really bother with mods but I would definitley grab an expansion pack.

Played some more of the Campaign last night, found why the 'Insane' difficulty warranted such a title. Got ass raped at one point on the first map thinking I could walk it with just one squad of soldiers, oh how wrong I was.

I will hopefully be able to take it online next Friday once I get the new Broadband setup.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.