GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Artifical Intelligence!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/05/01 at 17:45
Regular
Okay, we should all know or have heard about artifical intelligence (AI) by now.

It is of course coded program(s) to make a computer seem to have human intelligence. However in truth AI is merely case statements "telling" the computer to do what in a particular instance.

AI is mostly assosciated with games and the AI is shown in computer characters and the environment.

The environment? I hear you say, well yes. Think about it environments change all the time from the weather to the objects in them. A good example of environmental AI is black & white in that when boulders are thrown at houses the houses are smashed.

Computer characters are programmed, with AI, to make them more life-like to make the game seem truer to reality. The AI of Soldier of Fortune shows off how good AI is (if used properly) for instance when you shoot someone they either run (if unarmed & scared) or attack you with their weapon. What good would this have been without AI, the computer characters would probably just carry out random actions (maybe they wouldn't even be able to walk and shoot at the same time, blonde jokes now entering my head...I must stay strong and continue my view).

Okay so I have briefly pointed out how AI is important in, especially, computer games. With the games industry mostly headed towards improvement of graphics (the majority are, you are just in denial if you disagree) I believe that AI should be given as much emphasis, if not more, as the graphics in games. This would lead to better gameplay and more longtivety in the games that we buy.

I could perhaps see some sort of Actual Intelligence eventually being created for computers where the computer integrates itself with a computer game. Perhaps the computer would control the game constantly "telling" the game what to do in each case.

If we have cards for sound, graphics, etc i could see an AI card being brought out in the distant future to determine how intelligent games are. No doubt an army will have this technology years before anything similar to it is brought out on the commercial market.

Anything to add or argue, feel free.
Sat 05/05/01 at 12:01
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The problem with A.I. development is that no-one reallys knows what intelligence is...

At least... not specifically...

Intelligence represents different attributes in different situations, animals, context...

If you try and define intelligence you need to use general terms... which themselves can only be described by general terms...

There are also a loarge number of philisophical problems... such as... can a creature without conciousness display intellignece or ever be intellingent?

However thats nothing to do with AI in computer games :) ... Which is generally an expert systems...
Sat 05/05/01 at 10:29
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The thing is, AI just isn't that easy to program. Even the most advanced sectors of the field have major holes in their work. Having said that, a computer game is a closed envirornment, and AI has been shown to preform very well in restricted domains.

Lets take the Perfect Dark bot as an example. There are only so many actions it can perform - essentially just moving and shooting. Now, you made the point that the bot simply stands in the middle of the doorway as it is opened. You said it should stand back a little so you won't be able to kill it so easily from inside the room. That's all well and good, but what if you were chasing it? Then surely it wants to get through the door as quickly as possible.

'Okay, fine' you say. If he's beinng chased, go straight through, if he's after someone else, be cautious.

Right then, so how do you even begin to define being 'chased'? Does he have to be hit? Does he have to have a player advancing towards him, or shooting at him? -and if so, how do you deine shooting 'at' him?

What happens if he's being chased AND there's someone he's chasing in the room? What if the person he's chasing has only a slow weapon like grenades?

Now, look at these problems, and see how much time you think they would take to sort out - and remember, they would still only be an approximation of human behaviour. You can't possibly forsee all the different scenarios in the game, therefore you can't possibly create a bot to react intelligently to them.

Now, what sort of level of AI do you suppose would be needed to 'integrate with and control' a game?

It is a long, long way off.

Incidentally, a boulder smashing a house is not AI. It's just an attempt at more realistic physics.

Don't even think about getting me started on 'AI learning' ;)
Sat 05/05/01 at 02:21
I think that half the time developers can't be bothered to improve AI once they get it to an OK level. Take PD for example, at first when you play against the sims they seem like they have good AI. But then when they do things the same way over and over again it becomes too easy to kill them cheaply. The sims always run down the middle of coridoors meaning you aim down the center of the corridoor and fire repeatedly to kill them. How much extra effort would it have taken to vary which side the sims run down corridoors? Also no matter what level of difficulty the sims are on, when they open doors they stand exactly behind them alowing you to shoot them in the arm/body before they can even see you or progress through the door. Most human players stand back a bit or even take cover while opening a door, I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to make the sims do something similar.

I'm not saying developers should give enamies the perfect tactics to beat you all the time, but just a variation of tactics to keep the player guessing as to what the sim will do next, just like when you play against a human.
Fri 04/05/01 at 17:45
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
Okay, we should all know or have heard about artifical intelligence (AI) by now.

It is of course coded program(s) to make a computer seem to have human intelligence. However in truth AI is merely case statements "telling" the computer to do what in a particular instance.

AI is mostly assosciated with games and the AI is shown in computer characters and the environment.

The environment? I hear you say, well yes. Think about it environments change all the time from the weather to the objects in them. A good example of environmental AI is black & white in that when boulders are thrown at houses the houses are smashed.

Computer characters are programmed, with AI, to make them more life-like to make the game seem truer to reality. The AI of Soldier of Fortune shows off how good AI is (if used properly) for instance when you shoot someone they either run (if unarmed & scared) or attack you with their weapon. What good would this have been without AI, the computer characters would probably just carry out random actions (maybe they wouldn't even be able to walk and shoot at the same time, blonde jokes now entering my head...I must stay strong and continue my view).

Okay so I have briefly pointed out how AI is important in, especially, computer games. With the games industry mostly headed towards improvement of graphics (the majority are, you are just in denial if you disagree) I believe that AI should be given as much emphasis, if not more, as the graphics in games. This would lead to better gameplay and more longtivety in the games that we buy.

I could perhaps see some sort of Actual Intelligence eventually being created for computers where the computer integrates itself with a computer game. Perhaps the computer would control the game constantly "telling" the game what to do in each case.

If we have cards for sound, graphics, etc i could see an AI card being brought out in the distant future to determine how intelligent games are. No doubt an army will have this technology years before anything similar to it is brought out on the commercial market.

Anything to add or argue, feel free.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.