GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pdark V MGS2 again"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/05/00 at 20:25
Regular
3 things.
1) MGS2 has not even been made, just a few computer enhanced screenshots. Perfect Dark is coming out 6/30th June (soon), but don't judge either until you've played both. OK, MGS2's graphics probably will be better, but it is on a better console (PS2), while PD is only on the N64. Graphics, smaphics, Pdark has great gameplay.

2) I'm going to point out the good and bad points.

(PS: point 3) is way down the bottom)

GOOD POINTS!

>This game has a great storyline - DataDyne is a computer aided technology business, is popular with the people and is well established. But recently, a security breach allowed an insider to reveal DataDynes corrupt plans of evil. This forces the government to use secret agent Joanna Dark to infiltrate, and ultimately destroy the minds behind these evil plans.
And the good thing is, you are not told their actual plans outright. You find information regarding this as you work through the game

>The game has great after and before mission cut scenes. These have been rendered brilliantly by the geniuses at Rare. They reveal DataDyne’s evil plans, and give you an insight into the next level/mission.

>A lot of thought has gone into what people want from an ace shoot ‘em up - one of these things is guns. PDark has a whole host of weapons, each having a secondary function. There is an assault rifle with grenade attachment, hunting knife which doubles up as a poison tipped throwing knife. On a special level you play as an alien, and get a phycosis gun, which allows you to make bad guys fight for you.

>aside from actual guns, you have ECM mines, which knock out security cameras, a nifty on-arm laser, the farsight which allows you to shoot through walls, the night vision, infra red and x-ray goggles, the spy fly, which is a minute video footage device, and the threat detector, which tells you where ammo, weapons and enemies are.

>There is the single player mode, and the co-operative, which sees two Joanna Dark’s! Strange! (or maybe one player is a different character)

> there is also the ace multiplayer, which has all of these modes:

*Capture the breifcase - find a hidden briefcase, but you can’t shoot while holding it! The longer you hold it the more points you get.

* king of the hill - Find the hill. Stop other players from capturing your base on the hill.

* free for all - outright deathmatch.

* you can have sims, which can help you, and you can give different orders, and AI players that play against you.

* The complex and temple levels are back. But now you can fall through the hole in temple!

> YOU can be in the game! with a GB camera and transfer pack your face can be in multiplayer!

> You get to ride vehicles. Joanna rides a hover bike AND CAN STILL USE BOTH HANDS ON GUNS!!!!!(imposible and fun!!!)

>The guards are super intelligent. If one alone is getting whipped, he will call for backup. They dive out of the way of bullets. Unlike in GoldenEye, they take cover. Some lay flat, camouflaged with their sniper rifles. And some of the wimps even surrender. One cool thing is if you wing a guard on the leg, he will run away, leaving a
trail of blood. Then he will bleed to death.

> The graphics are stunning ( well, it’s Rare)

> The sounds are great.

All of this and people still are’nt impressed??

Okay now for the
BAD POINTS

> It’s been delayed too long, but only to make it much better, although they could
have released it, fully functioning and very good back in November

>...........................................................

People use this ONE bad point to abuse PD.

If, after reading this you still think Metal Gear Solid or some other crappy game is better I think you people should get/play the game and stop dissin’ it!

3)

I think it is unfair to compare N64 games with in-the-works playstation2 games. I hold a grudge against the first
playstation, because I own an N64, but have nothing against the PS2 which I will shortly own.
I think that comparing a game on the N64, with is limited expandability, against a PS2 game, with it’s new, up to date top range hardware is an unfair comparison.
Although the N64 will herald a few great games yet, I think it is unfair to call it dead, and even more unfair to compare a game on it to one on the PS2.

This especially applies to Ant, who is often comparing MGS2 to Pdark, an unfair comparision, as Konami has the new PS2 software to fiddle with. I will be one of the first to buy
MGS2 on my PS2, but please stop comparing new level games to lower level ones.

ThankYou
TheBest
Sat 20/05/00 at 20:25
3 things.
1) MGS2 has not even been made, just a few computer enhanced screenshots. Perfect Dark is coming out 6/30th June (soon), but don't judge either until you've played both. OK, MGS2's graphics probably will be better, but it is on a better console (PS2), while PD is only on the N64. Graphics, smaphics, Pdark has great gameplay.

2) I'm going to point out the good and bad points.

(PS: point 3) is way down the bottom)

GOOD POINTS!

>This game has a great storyline - DataDyne is a computer aided technology business, is popular with the people and is well established. But recently, a security breach allowed an insider to reveal DataDynes corrupt plans of evil. This forces the government to use secret agent Joanna Dark to infiltrate, and ultimately destroy the minds behind these evil plans.
And the good thing is, you are not told their actual plans outright. You find information regarding this as you work through the game

>The game has great after and before mission cut scenes. These have been rendered brilliantly by the geniuses at Rare. They reveal DataDyne’s evil plans, and give you an insight into the next level/mission.

>A lot of thought has gone into what people want from an ace shoot ‘em up - one of these things is guns. PDark has a whole host of weapons, each having a secondary function. There is an assault rifle with grenade attachment, hunting knife which doubles up as a poison tipped throwing knife. On a special level you play as an alien, and get a phycosis gun, which allows you to make bad guys fight for you.

>aside from actual guns, you have ECM mines, which knock out security cameras, a nifty on-arm laser, the farsight which allows you to shoot through walls, the night vision, infra red and x-ray goggles, the spy fly, which is a minute video footage device, and the threat detector, which tells you where ammo, weapons and enemies are.

>There is the single player mode, and the co-operative, which sees two Joanna Dark’s! Strange! (or maybe one player is a different character)

> there is also the ace multiplayer, which has all of these modes:

*Capture the breifcase - find a hidden briefcase, but you can’t shoot while holding it! The longer you hold it the more points you get.

* king of the hill - Find the hill. Stop other players from capturing your base on the hill.

* free for all - outright deathmatch.

* you can have sims, which can help you, and you can give different orders, and AI players that play against you.

* The complex and temple levels are back. But now you can fall through the hole in temple!

> YOU can be in the game! with a GB camera and transfer pack your face can be in multiplayer!

> You get to ride vehicles. Joanna rides a hover bike AND CAN STILL USE BOTH HANDS ON GUNS!!!!!(imposible and fun!!!)

>The guards are super intelligent. If one alone is getting whipped, he will call for backup. They dive out of the way of bullets. Unlike in GoldenEye, they take cover. Some lay flat, camouflaged with their sniper rifles. And some of the wimps even surrender. One cool thing is if you wing a guard on the leg, he will run away, leaving a
trail of blood. Then he will bleed to death.

> The graphics are stunning ( well, it’s Rare)

> The sounds are great.

All of this and people still are’nt impressed??

Okay now for the
BAD POINTS

> It’s been delayed too long, but only to make it much better, although they could
have released it, fully functioning and very good back in November

>...........................................................

People use this ONE bad point to abuse PD.

If, after reading this you still think Metal Gear Solid or some other crappy game is better I think you people should get/play the game and stop dissin’ it!

3)

I think it is unfair to compare N64 games with in-the-works playstation2 games. I hold a grudge against the first
playstation, because I own an N64, but have nothing against the PS2 which I will shortly own.
I think that comparing a game on the N64, with is limited expandability, against a PS2 game, with it’s new, up to date top range hardware is an unfair comparison.
Although the N64 will herald a few great games yet, I think it is unfair to call it dead, and even more unfair to compare a game on it to one on the PS2.

This especially applies to Ant, who is often comparing MGS2 to Pdark, an unfair comparision, as Konami has the new PS2 software to fiddle with. I will be one of the first to buy
MGS2 on my PS2, but please stop comparing new level games to lower level ones.

ThankYou
TheBest
Sat 20/05/00 at 20:31
I think that the E3 show this year was a bit of a console wipeout. Sony stole the show to start with, brandishing their PS2, capturing the audience with their live demonstration. One of the biggest hoped for games of all time, MetalGearSolid2 was
announced, probably to a large amount of Ooohs and Ahhhs. From the audience. But then SEGA(?) took the show. With no new announcements, just new games, I don’t know how this happened. Sony smelt like rotten fish. But then, things were hotted up again, with Sony announcing the original Playstation was to be re-released at a new all
time low price. It’s release date coincided with that of the playstation 2, so people with no - console can chose. As soon as people lost interest in this, Sony really turned up the heat. They announced the new pocket sized PS. Unfortunately, this sleek CD
player sized console has no screen, which quelled a flame in many hearts. But it can
go semi-portable, with connectors for portable TV’s.
And then it was over. Microsoft did not show their X-Box ( probably cos' it's just a black plastic box so far).

And even more suprising was Nintendos absence. With Nintendo teams busily making the Dolphin, it's games and even the game-boy advance, they could easily of competed with Sony - PS2 V Dolphin, Porto-Ps v GB advance. But instead they stayed away. Perhaps, at next years E3 they will completely steal the show with all their new stuff?????

TheBest
Sat 20/05/00 at 20:34
We are coming to the end of a golden age. The past few years have been a golden era for games. Consoles, namely the playstation and nintendo 64 have turnt out great games, providing endless hours of gaming enjoyment. But this era should be drawing to a close, a new one started. But instead the 3 gaming giants, and even Microsoft are bringing out new consoles. Okay better specifications,
better graphics, better games, but not the little push that we need to get us over the hill. These game developers have spent too much time effort and money on more of the same consoles, that only LOOK better, when they should have spent it on developing a totally new concept to gaming, to give the word gaming a new meaning.
We need a new breakthrough such as virtual reality, or a new way to play over the internet. ie: see the person your are playing, and be able to pause the game and send them an instant message. Or a virtual reality chair, which allows you too feel like you’re actually driving a car eg. it moves about - nifty eh? So, it’ll cost a lot for the
company and you, the buyer, but the expenditure from both parties will be worth it. But instead, the new consoles you old technology, which, with a little polish looks
good enough to buy. One of the launch games of the N64 was the first to really capture a truly 3D atmosphere - Mario 64. It created a benchmark in gaming, and other games have copied the graphics engine to produce more of these games. Unfortunately, they are becoming boring and repetitive, and even I TheBest may think of retiring from consoles until the day this happens. Okay so the next generation
consoles play DVD movies, and the such, but it’s not really a new idea. So it looks like we’ll have to wait around 5 years for this to happen.

ThankYou
TheBest.
Sun 21/05/00 at 15:31
Sto writing the same message in about 3 discussion forums!!!! And also, Ant wasn't comparing the two games!! He compares Metal Gear Solid To PD, not MGS2.
TheBest wrote:
> 3 things.
> 1) MGS2 has not even been made, just a few computer enhanced
> screenshots. Perfect Dark is coming out 6/30th June (soon), but
> don't judge either until you've played both. OK, MGS2's graphics
> probably will be better, but it is on a better console (PS2),
> while PD is only on the N64. Graphics, smaphics, Pdark has great
> gameplay.
>
> 2) I'm going to point out the good and bad points.
>
> (PS: point 3) is way down the bottom)
>
> GOOD POINTS!
>
>
> >This game has a great storyline - DataDyne is a computer aided
> technology business, is popular with the people and is well
> established. But recently, a security breach allowed an insider to
> reveal DataDynes corrupt plans of evil. This forces the government
> to use secret agent Joanna Dark to infiltrate, and ultimately
> destroy the minds behind these evil plans.
> And the good thing is, you are not told their actual plans
> outright. You find information regarding this as you work through
> the game
>
> >The game has great after and before mission cut scenes. These
> have been rendered brilliantly by the geniuses at Rare. They
> reveal DataDyne’s evil plans, and give you an insight into the
> next level/mission.
>
> >A lot of thought has gone into what people want from an ace shoot
> ‘em up - one of these things is guns. PDark has a whole host of
> weapons, each having a secondary function. There is an assault
> rifle with grenade attachment, hunting knife which doubles up as a
> poison tipped throwing knife. On a special level you play as an
> alien, and get a phycosis gun, which allows you to make bad guys
> fight for you.
>
> >aside from actual guns, you have ECM mines, which knock out
> security cameras, a nifty on-arm laser, the farsight which allows
> you to shoot through walls, the night vision, infra red and x-ray
> goggles, the spy fly, which is a minute video footage device, and
> the threat detector, which tells you where ammo, weapons and
> enemies are.
>
> >There is the single player mode, and the co-operative, which sees
> two Joanna Dark’s! Strange! (or maybe one player is a different
> character)
>
> > there is also the ace multiplayer, which has all of these modes:
>
> *Capture the breifcase - find a hidden briefcase, but you can’t
> shoot while holding it! The longer you hold it the more points you
> get.
>
> * king of the hill - Find the hill. Stop other players from
> capturing your base on the hill.
>
> * free for all - outright deathmatch.
>
> * you can have sims, which can help you, and you can give
> different orders, and AI players that play against you.
>
> * The complex and temple levels are back. But now you can fall
> through the hole in temple!
>
> > YOU can be in the game! with a GB camera and transfer pack your
> face can be in multiplayer!
>
> > You get to ride vehicles. Joanna rides a hover bike AND CAN
> STILL USE BOTH HANDS ON GUNS!!!!!(imposible and fun!!!)
>
> >The guards are super intelligent. If one alone is getting
> whipped, he will call for backup. They dive out of the way of
> bullets. Unlike in GoldenEye, they take cover. Some lay flat,
> camouflaged with their sniper rifles. And some of the wimps even
> surrender. One cool thing is if you wing a guard on the leg, he
> will run away, leaving a
> trail of blood. Then he will bleed to death.
>
> > The graphics are stunning ( well, it’s Rare)
>
> > The sounds are great.
>
> All of this and people still are’nt impressed??
>
> Okay now for the
> BAD POINTS
>
> > It’s been delayed too long, but only to make it much better,
> although they could
> have released it, fully functioning and very good back in November
>
> >...........................................................
>
> People use this ONE bad point to abuse PD.
>
> If, after reading this you still think Metal Gear Solid or some
> other crappy game is better I think you people should get/play the
> game and stop dissin’ it!
>
> 3)
>
> I think it is unfair to compare N64 games with in-the-works
> playstation2 games. I hold a grudge against the first
> playstation, because I own an N64, but have nothing against the
> PS2 which I will shortly own.
> I think that comparing a game on the N64, with is limited
> expandability, against a PS2 game, with it’s new, up to date top
> range hardware is an unfair comparison.
> Although the N64 will herald a few great games yet, I think it is
> unfair to call it dead, and even more unfair to compare a game on
> it to one on the PS2.
>
> This especially applies to Ant, who is often comparing MGS2 to
> Pdark, an unfair comparision, as Konami has the new PS2 software
> to fiddle with. I will be one of the first to buy
> MGS2 on my PS2, but please stop comparing new level games to lower
> level ones.
>
> ThankYou
> TheBest
Sun 21/05/00 at 15:31
Stop writing the same message in about 3 discussion forums!!!! And also, Ant wasn't comparing the two games!! He compares Metal Gear Solid To PD, not MGS2.
TheBest wrote:
> 3 things.
> 1) MGS2 has not even been made, just a few computer enhanced
> screenshots. Perfect Dark is coming out 6/30th June (soon), but
> don't judge either until you've played both. OK, MGS2's graphics
> probably will be better, but it is on a better console (PS2),
> while PD is only on the N64. Graphics, smaphics, Pdark has great
> gameplay.
>
> 2) I'm going to point out the good and bad points.
>
> (PS: point 3) is way down the bottom)
>
> GOOD POINTS!
>
>
> >This game has a great storyline - DataDyne is a computer aided
> technology business, is popular with the people and is well
> established. But recently, a security breach allowed an insider to
> reveal DataDynes corrupt plans of evil. This forces the government
> to use secret agent Joanna Dark to infiltrate, and ultimately
> destroy the minds behind these evil plans.
> And the good thing is, you are not told their actual plans
> outright. You find information regarding this as you work through
> the game
>
> >The game has great after and before mission cut scenes. These
> have been rendered brilliantly by the geniuses at Rare. They
> reveal DataDyne’s evil plans, and give you an insight into the
> next level/mission.
>
> >A lot of thought has gone into what people want from an ace shoot
> ‘em up - one of these things is guns. PDark has a whole host of
> weapons, each having a secondary function. There is an assault
> rifle with grenade attachment, hunting knife which doubles up as a
> poison tipped throwing knife. On a special level you play as an
> alien, and get a phycosis gun, which allows you to make bad guys
> fight for you.
>
> >aside from actual guns, you have ECM mines, which knock out
> security cameras, a nifty on-arm laser, the farsight which allows
> you to shoot through walls, the night vision, infra red and x-ray
> goggles, the spy fly, which is a minute video footage device, and
> the threat detector, which tells you where ammo, weapons and
> enemies are.
>
> >There is the single player mode, and the co-operative, which sees
> two Joanna Dark’s! Strange! (or maybe one player is a different
> character)
>
> > there is also the ace multiplayer, which has all of these modes:
>
> *Capture the breifcase - find a hidden briefcase, but you can’t
> shoot while holding it! The longer you hold it the more points you
> get.
>
> * king of the hill - Find the hill. Stop other players from
> capturing your base on the hill.
>
> * free for all - outright deathmatch.
>
> * you can have sims, which can help you, and you can give
> different orders, and AI players that play against you.
>
> * The complex and temple levels are back. But now you can fall
> through the hole in temple!
>
> > YOU can be in the game! with a GB camera and transfer pack your
> face can be in multiplayer!
>
> > You get to ride vehicles. Joanna rides a hover bike AND CAN
> STILL USE BOTH HANDS ON GUNS!!!!!(imposible and fun!!!)
>
> >The guards are super intelligent. If one alone is getting
> whipped, he will call for backup. They dive out of the way of
> bullets. Unlike in GoldenEye, they take cover. Some lay flat,
> camouflaged with their sniper rifles. And some of the wimps even
> surrender. One cool thing is if you wing a guard on the leg, he
> will run away, leaving a
> trail of blood. Then he will bleed to death.
>
> > The graphics are stunning ( well, it’s Rare)
>
> > The sounds are great.
>
> All of this and people still are’nt impressed??
>
> Okay now for the
> BAD POINTS
>
> > It’s been delayed too long, but only to make it much better,
> although they could
> have released it, fully functioning and very good back in November
>
> >...........................................................
>
> People use this ONE bad point to abuse PD.
>
> If, after reading this you still think Metal Gear Solid or some
> other crappy game is better I think you people should get/play the
> game and stop dissin’ it!
>
> 3)
>
> I think it is unfair to compare N64 games with in-the-works
> playstation2 games. I hold a grudge against the first
> playstation, because I own an N64, but have nothing against the
> PS2 which I will shortly own.
> I think that comparing a game on the N64, with is limited
> expandability, against a PS2 game, with it’s new, up to date top
> range hardware is an unfair comparison.
> Although the N64 will herald a few great games yet, I think it is
> unfair to call it dead, and even more unfair to compare a game on
> it to one on the PS2.
>
> This especially applies to Ant, who is often comparing MGS2 to
> Pdark, an unfair comparision, as Konami has the new PS2 software
> to fiddle with. I will be one of the first to buy
> MGS2 on my PS2, but please stop comparing new level games to lower
> level ones.
>
> ThankYou
> TheBest

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.