GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I think adults have worse manners than us teenagers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/09/04 at 11:20
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
To alot of you, this post will probably sound like just another protesting piece of twaddle written by a hormone ridden teenager trying to be rebellious and insightful just because he's a teenager (and afterall, don't all teenagers like to rebel against the careful framework of society which previous generations have so carefully constructed?) but if you have some free time and an open mind, please spend the time to read this and consider my points. Maybe it will make the world a better place. I, however, doubt that anyone will be interested.

Every time that I have ever brought this subject up, either with parents, teachers or anyone else "wise", by which I generally mean "old people", I have generally been told I am going through a phase in teenage life that is commonly called the "young philosopher" phase, which is when we try and sound intelligent through pretentious comments about society. So tell me this, when does one come of the age where these comments aren't pretentious? Why is it that I trying to sound intelligent when I say them while an adult maybe bringing up a similar point is just making interesting conversation?

I don't know how many people who actively write in these forums are teenagers, but I assume that the majority of you have been teenagers at some point (obviously the only exceptions being those younger than 13, as everyone else, I assume, has grown through childhood at some point in their lives) and that you may have had similar thoughts before. I am not looking to have a rant at anyone, just to get my point across. Anyhoo I digress. Here's my point.

Teenagers have been typecast for years as troublemakers, hooligans and vandals and because of this I know many older people are afraid of us. I think it's quite similar to my fear of spiders (which I am, as I write, working to overcome) in that it is quite irrational. The object of the fear, either the spider of the teenager, is very unlikely to do you any harm, and often will be trying to be nice to you. OK, here's where I decided that spiders are not trying to be nice to you and dropped that simile. Whenever I walk past someone, I will try and smile at them, maybe a cheery "hello" will be thrown in for good measure, but it all depends on the circumstances. With a few exceptions, the common response from adults will be a glance at their feet or a cold stare directed at me, occasionally accompanied by a grunt of recognition but rarely so. This is my first reason for the blunt subject line.

I am a skateboarder. I know, I know, I can almost hear the groans from through my laptop speakers, but please, hear me out. I (and I know a lot of my friends will agree with me on this) feel like there is an almost unbearable stereotype placed upon us skaters. You only have to mention "Teenage skateboarders" and everone shudders, but I do not feel this is at all fair. When I skate, I move around to make sure one set of people do not get annoyed and I try to skate in areas where there is the least amount of noise. I believe the majority of skaters do the same. The following story was my main motivation for writing this.

The other day, me and my friend were skating outside an old abandoned building when an middle-aged lady came out of her house, walked the distance to us, and yelled,

"What the hell do you think you're doing? This is a menace to those around you, you destroy the environment, and [this is the clincher] you vandalise everything!" At this point me and my friend look at each other and I reply,

"Could you please name me a time when this area has been vandalised? I was unaware that this happened and if it's really a problem for you that we're here, we'll move on." the woman looks taken aback and stutters for a bit,

"W-w-well, you graffiti on the walls, break the roofs, and we've had bricks thrown through our windows. The police have gotten involved before, and will again if you carry on acting like this. Then you'll be in trouble!" I reply, in my best polite sounding voice,

"Well we're just skating actually, we don't see why anyone would do that kind of thing and haven't heard of it happening, but if you would please support our plea for a skatepark, we'd appreciate it. It would give us a place to skate which doesn't annoy you, and would give these supposed vandals something to do." I must stress here that I live in perhaps the most prejudiced and boring rural village in the south of england, and we have been asking for a skatepark for years to no avail. The woman replies,

"Absolutely not! I don't see why I, or the council, should spend more money on leisure facilities here, you have a play park, we built that for you 30 years ago! Why don't you use that?" Now there she was referring to the bark-covered field with swings and rusty adventure equipment which sports a large sign saying 'not for children over 13', and it's certainly not skateable. I get halfway through explaining this politely, when she interrupts,

"Just get out!!! I've told you before, we don't want you here!"

Almost makes you want to be a vandal.......

So there it is. I expect not many people will have read through my ramblings but those who do, please consider them without dismissing me as that hormone ridden teenage skater boy, trying to insight violence and insurrection into the people of....Hampshire....(woo, uprising) and maybe if you are an adult, next time you walk past a teenager, try smiling at them, it can't hurt. :)
Thu 16/09/04 at 23:32
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
There is an advantage to this.

If your mum/dad has failed to complete a level on a game, simply complete it for them. Thus, snatching glory.

That's what me dad did when he played Sonic 3, and had tails in the launch base zone.

Hee Hee hee.
Sun 12/09/04 at 09:45
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
munn wrote:
> jimbojambo wrote:
> I live in perhaps the most prejudiced and boring rural village in the
> south of england,
>
> I don't mean to sound predjudiced or anything, but it is a well known
> fact that the south england is one of the most depressing areas of
> the world.

Ok so taking that into account, now re-read it and see that I said perhaps the MOST boring village in the south of england.

Feel my pain.

I have actually never used the word twaddle before. I like it though. Along with codswallop (brilliant), taffer, and yarr, I think I'm well set vocabulary-wise.

"Go twaddle yer codswallop, taffer. Yarr....." Now I even sound Hampsherish.
Sun 12/09/04 at 00:25
Regular
I didn't know it was a word.

I must use it now along with codswallop.

Codswallop = thebest word ever.
Sat 11/09/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
You're the first person under 50 that I've ever seen/heard say "twaddle".
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:51
Regular
jimbojambo wrote:
> I live in perhaps the most prejudiced and boring rural village in the south > of england,

I don't mean to sound predjudiced or anything, but it is a well known fact that the south england is one of the most depressing areas of the world.

You're walking down the street, "Hello there" you say, "Mooo" they say back. Yes, that's a cow, but they're a lot more polite than most adults in south England, at least you get some sort of reply.

And you try to get mroe money out of us.

When we were in Reading a few years back, we went to an indian restaurant, £2.00 per slice of naan bread, about half a foot in length and about 2 inches in diameter, whereas in my local indian you get a huge 1.5 foot circle of naan bread for just £1.50.

South England sucks.
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:41
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
cookie monster wrote:
> mattributé wrote:
> There's only one problem: it's absolute crap.
>
> Nah, some graffiti can look awesome.

Yeah i'm with you on that. But then I don't own the walls. Most old people don't seem to like any art which doesn't involve naked greeks or watercolour paintings of fields.
Fri 10/09/04 at 20:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
mattributé wrote:
> There's only one problem: it's absolute crap.

Nah, some graffiti can look awesome.
Fri 10/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
"tokyo police club"
gamesfreak wrote:
> The one thing that irritates me is when people don't understand the
> difference between "Vandalism" and "Graffiti".
>
> Graffiti is art, pure and simple. Street art if you must.

There's only one problem: it's absolute crap.
Fri 10/09/04 at 17:21
Regular
That depends on your viewpoint.

If graffiti is in a public place, and you don't see any artistic value in it, then to you it's vandalism.

The artistic value is all that seperates it from vandalism, and that's a purely subjective quality.
Fri 10/09/04 at 17:13
Regular
The one thing that irritates me is when people don't understand the difference between "Vandalism" and "Graffiti".

Graffiti is art, pure and simple. Street art if you must.

Vandalism is where people scrawl all over walls with "jonny b was ere wiv hiz m8z gettin drunk, bling bling, yo, 2002".

There's a difference.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.