GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expectations of games in the next 10 years"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/05/01 at 14:09
Regular
The games industry is advancing extremely quickly, so quick in fact that no one really knows what is on the horizon for the industry. Will it all end with an anti-climax or will games just keep getting better and better or will they one day find a plateu?

I'd like to hear your opinions here please, be as creative as you like.
What would you want a game to be like in the future and do you think this "dream" is possible.

Here is my thoughts:

I think that games will heavily rely upon Virtual Reality.

I think that it will take loads of time and money to get VR in the games' industries driving seat. However I think the benefits (to users and to the industry itself) would be massive! I mean, think about it for a moment, the abilty to actually be part of a game; YOU could be a player in Fifa 2012 - The Masterly Superb,Just God-damn Amazing pack(hey this could be a title for Fifa).

There are however major drawbacks to VR (especially if it's enviorment nearly matches reality). There are medical and psychological drawbacks as computer games are quite addictive so you could end up preferring the virtual reality (with all it's adventure, etc) to the actual reality. Some people might not be able to distinguish between VR and actual reality. There is also the fact that it may do permanent damage to the brain (possibly cause brain cancer, etc).

I still think that VR is the way to go forward for games though. I'm not sure if it will make its mark on the games industry in the next 10 years or not but I do believe it will play a part in the industry at some point.

As I said earlier lets hear your points of view or pick at the holes in my "vision" it's up to you.
Sat 05/05/01 at 11:51
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
egg (the best) wrote:
> I don't think VR will take of for 3 reasons:

>1: With a VR helmet on you may look like a muppet

who says it will be a helmet? Future developments may reduce it to mere glasses or some sort of cap, beaming signals to the brain (the last one is probably light years away from happening)

>2: How will your friends see what is going on in the game?

I think that either (or both) a monitor or a TV will be able to show what the person in VR can see and hear.

>3: If TVs cost upwards of £200 imagine what 4
> VR helmets for you and your mates to play multiplayer >would set you back

Of course it is going to be expensive, but near enough everything is expensive when it is just released. The prices would come down. Did Dvd's sound practical 2-3 years ago (at >£500)? Plus 4 VR kits would be easier to transport
than 4 computers for a mulitplayer.

>4: I like sitting in front of a TV screen/ moniter, you can
> see what is going on around you in the real world and it > just seems less antisocial.

This is perhaps the only of the four arguments that I agree with however if VR could encorporate say some sort of "world" and VR users can plug in ANYWHERE to get into this world then people could interact therefore reducing the anti-socualness of it.
Sat 05/05/01 at 11:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
M16 wrote:
The
> only problem is there will be thousands of people hunting around
> their house to try and find Tomb Raider…. And have lots of fun
> playing with Lara, so to speak :D

People arnt doing that at the moment?...

Am I really the only one?!?!...

gutted :(
Sat 05/05/01 at 08:59
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> PinkPig wrote:
I
> think that VR will never really take off,
> because people don't want
> to look like a bunch of idiots
> walking around with strange things
> over their eyes.

Sony
> nearly didnt release the Walkman...

They thought that no-one
> would want to walk around with wires comming from their ears...
>

Since it may seem that they were wearing a hearing aid...

True. Just shows you have to take gambles in life in order to succeed.

With the VR thing. I really do think that it will be a crucial part of gaming within 5 years time. People will not look silly wearing the glasses things, because I think that people will think their “cool”.

The only problem is there will be thousands of people hunting around their house to try and find Tomb Raider…. And have lots of fun playing with Lara, so to speak :D
Sat 05/05/01 at 03:11
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
When I was at school me and my mates used to have Streetfighter 2 tournaments ;-)) Used to be a right laugh too. There were like 10 of us and we'd do the thing in rounds with the person with the most loses going out in each one till there were 2 left to fight a final. If there were 2 or 3 people with the same amount of wins, then they'd have to fight between them until 1 finally lost and was eliminated.

What made it good was that we all used to be really into that game and all had our own characters who we practised with everyday. Ryu was my bloke and I won all the tournaments ;-)

Got close a few times though and there were some excellent matches played that are still remembered now. Was a pretty passionate tournament as well, everyone was so competitive ;-)) The banter used to be exchanged at school leading upto it.

One example of how it was - My friend Jay (don't see him much now) used to play as Guile. He was always good but always got beaten at the crucial stages and ended up coming around 3rd or 4th place. Oneday, he brought this little lucky charm thing with him, it was like a little bell shaped glass thing with a little bloke inside. He'd got it from his Nan who had recently died and it took its place on my living room coffee table to er, be lucky i guess ;-))

Unfortunatly for Jay, the bad luck kicked in and along with losing to me, he was beaten by my cousin (another Jamie) and Tony (one of our ring of friends) and was knocked out into 4th place. Being the sportsman like chap Jay was, this resulted in the "lucky charm" being picked up and smashed in a fit of frustration. Tears of frustration also started welling up too ;-))

Yes those tournaments got pretty passionate ;-)) Then of course Mortal Kombat came out and quoting Jay "Streetfighter is your game, this is gonna be mine !". This was closely followed by me beating the hell out of him on it and even having the cheek to tear his poor blokes head off everytime just to rub it in ;-))
For some reason after that the Mortal Kombat tournaments never materialised ;-))

Sat 05/05/01 at 02:40
Regular
video gaming is already a sport, well for me anyway.
Sat 05/05/01 at 02:33
I don't think VR will take of for 3 reasons:
1: With a VR helmet on you may look like a D1CK
2: How will your friends see what is going on in the game?
3: If TVs cost upwards of £200 imagine what 4 VR helmets for you and your mates to play multiplayer would set you back
4: I like sitting in front of a TV screen/ moniter, you can see what is going on around you in the real world and it just seems less antisocial.

What I think will hapen over the next ten years:
1: They'll finally be able to make trees look like real trees in video games. (although they are getting close now)
2:High speed internet acess will make multiplayer gaming on consoles/ PCs much more enjoyable.
3: People will realise that video games make for good competitions and video gaming could become like a sport or something.
Fri 04/05/01 at 23:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The Pudding wrote:
If for example people just
> stopped being interested in gaming in it's current form, and sales
> plummetted the companies would have to adapt to get people
> interested again!
This though is not going to happen as the numbers
> at this site alone show the popularity of gaming!!!

10 years ago... there were no RTS style games... no 3D platformers... no 3D fighters... no First PErson Shooters...

In fact pretty much ALL gameplay genres about 10 years ago are either gone (text adventures) or compltely changes (2D platformers, virticle shooters, etc..)

VR headsets dont require an alternative gaming experince... since playing FPS games using a monitor IS playing VR game... but in 2D
Fri 04/05/01 at 23:06
I think it will be alot more than 10 years before VR takes off if it ever does!
Games companies are currently making plenty of money out of the current style of gaming sitting at a screen with a joypad or whatever!!
So long as they keep making money the industry does not have to make huge leaps in technology, but just small advances to keep ahead of their competitors.

If for example people just stopped being interested in gaming in it's current form, and sales plummetted the companies would have to adapt to get people interested again!
This though is not going to happen as the numbers at this site alone show the popularity of gaming!!!
Fri 04/05/01 at 22:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
PinkPig wrote:
I
> think that VR will never really take off, because people don't want
> to look like a bunch of idiots walking around with strange things
> over their eyes.

Sony nearly didnt release the Walkman...

They thought that no-one would want to walk around with wires comming from their ears...

Since it may seem that they were wearing a hearing aid...
Fri 04/05/01 at 21:46
Regular
I wouldn't mind a holosuite with a huge catalogue of programs......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.