GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things To Look Forward To With The Wii"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/11/06 at 13:23
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
With the Wii release just around the corner, gamers are becoming fidgety in what will likely be one of the biggest releases for any company. The introduction to a new era of gameplay as well as online capabilities enabling retro games, online gaming, news, weather and shopping are promised for Nintendo little machine. However come launch date are you sorted and do you know what to expect as far as games and hardware are concerned?

Software

When it comes to the games you can’t disagree that it is vitally important to have a great selection of titles available at launch. While America and Japan appear to be getting some extra titles, over here in the UK we still have what appear to be quality games.

The Legend Of Zelda: The Twilight Princess

It’s strange how there are people out there who don’t like the Zelda franchise. That’s just personal opinion for you though, and while I’m not in the “I hate Zelda” pile, I’m not really in the “Zelda is the greatest game ever!” either. It is a good game, just I guess I’d rather play other games that include multiplayer. Anyways that isn’t to say this game is bad because it’s far from it. The quest is said to last around 30 hours onwards minus the sidequests. The graphics may look very Gamecube, but the new control system has lead reviews to say you’ll never want to go back. Reviews have been very positive giving it a 96% average on Gamerankings.com.
Excitement Rating: 7/10

Madden NFL 2007

Being the big American Football fan I am, this looks extremely promising and could result in long multiplayer sessions. Looking online I found the first review and 8.5 from IGN is a great score. The graphics may look last generation, but to me graphics doesn’t matter too much. EA have always supplied great music and obviously the ability to throw the ball as quarterback and much more with the remote is very cool. Also the three mini games that include a “two on two” match and “kicking contest” are said to be “reason enough alone to invest in four remotes.”
Excitement Rating: 9/10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz

I don’t know about you, but I thought Super Monkey Ball Adventure was a real let-down. However this title looks set to take you back to the basics with around 100 tiles to navigate and 50 mini games! While the number of levels are slightly disappointing, reviews have stated that the game is just as hard as one and two with the controls working just fine. The mini games have been reported to have their ups and downs with around thirty of them to be great. But to get fifty mini games to be awesome would be quite a feat.
Excitement Factor: 8/10

Red Steel

What looked extremely promising has apparently bin plagued with negative factors according to reviewers. While N-Gamer has given a 90% websites like Gamespot have given it 5.5! I’m not saying that it isn’t good or isn’t bad, however from the videos I’ve seen it looks very atmospheric and fun indeed. Almost as if you’ve been thrown in a Die Hard movie. The sword play to me does seem like it may not be too hot, but the ability to aim with the remote rather than a simple analogue is great.
Excitement Rating: 6/10

Wii Play

To me this looks like an alright compilation but with the inclusion of a Wii remote it seems to make sense to buy this if you were going to get an addition control anyway. The billiards game looks cool as does the shooting and air hockey. Others look like they could be entertaining for a while. There are also two yet to be revealed games with this.
Excitement Rating: 5/10 (However if you’re buying a Wii remote get this.)

Wii Sports

Free with your console this looks like a great introduction to what the Wii remote can actually do as well as great fun in mutiplayer. Firstly the bowling looks like real fun with four people with the remote measuring your power of the bowl as well as letting you spin too. The tennis also looks great but the lack of moving may result in points being lost because the computer couldn’t move your player in time. Golf looks like it will please golf fans and baseball looks good fun for a while. Now boxing looks interesting and with the remote and nunchuck recording your fist movements this could prove great fun.
Excitement Rating: 8/10

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Having only just recently looked at this game after reading a review and watching videos online it’s not till now that I’ve become really excited. It looks full of character and I can’t help but relate this game to the movie “Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Warerabbit” I’ve loved Rayman games ever since the first title and while this is certainly a move in a different direction it seems to have paid off. The mini games are said to have depth to them and be extremely fun in multiplayer. Plus the single player is meant to last quite a while!

And here’s the rest:

Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Need For Speed Carbon
Happy Feet
Rampage: Total Destruction
Gottlieb Pinball Classics
Super Fruit Fall
Disney/ Pixar Cars
Barnyard
Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII
Far Cry Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Monster 4x4 World Circuit
Open Season
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

On The Horizon

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

In January America is getting Smooth Moves and it’s lead to believe Europe is too. I bought the Gamecube version and obviously the most fun you could have with the game is when you were playing with friends. But if you wanted more fun, then the games that allowed you to all play at once conquered all. With 15 ways to hold the control this will allow so many different objectives to do. WarioWare Twisted has proven that moving a Gameboy to pull off movements works extremely well so this could be the best WarioWare to date!

Trauma Centre Two: Second Opinion

The Nintendo DS version was awesome and very hard. The Wii copy looks set to improve using the Wii remote. While it isn’t an entirely new game, it appears to have enough improvements to warrant another purchase. The graphics look slick and with new ways to control forceps and the all new defibrillator it looks as close to real operating as you’re going to get without training to become a surgeon. Not sure when it’s out, but maybe start of the year.
Excitement Rating: 9/10

Excite Truck

Out around my birthday actually in February :) This looks like a Burnout style arcade racer. Reviews have said good things along with bad, but one thing to keep in mind is it’s over very quickly. Multiplayer is also limited to two racers without AI. However the sense of speed is awesome and videos I’ve seen look incredibly fun. Maybe that’s because I hate realistic racers.

Later In 2007

Mario Party 8
With the use of the new remote the series could get the drastic change it has needed for so long.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Been delayed till next year the title keeps looking better and better. Rumoured to have been delayed to enable online mode this will prove a must for any Wii fan.

Disaster: Day Of Crisis
Not much is known about this title other than you’ll be facing Tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes and an evil terrorist organisation all at once!

Fire Emblem
Big fan of the original Gamecube version? Then you’ll want to get this. No one knows how exactly the remote will come into play.

Super Mario Galaxy
Probably the true Mario 64 sequel we’ve all been waiting for. Critics have raved about how fun the game is and with beautiful graphics and the possibility of two player. All we’re hoping for is a long game.

Mario Strikers Charged
Some loved it and some thought it was okay. I personally loved the game. It was so much fun with three other friends and we’ve been promised online mode where we can take part in matches and tournaments! The new captains and players have yet to be shown but looking at the darkened images one can guess Luigi, Daisy, Diddy Kong and Yoshi are along for the ride.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Delayed till next year and for a good reason. Problems with having four people online mean Nintendo have had to sort this out for us. With longer single player, more characters, new levels and tons more expect this as a must buy.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Said to include all the Resident Evil titles from Zero to four this uses the same shooting system as Resident Evil 4 which is great news.

Forever Blue
This is odd as it’s a scuba diving simulation. But I am really excited about the idea of this. Looking on Nintendo’s website this is online enabled too. You can swim in the ocean with others and it’s been rumoured you can explore Atlantis, sunken ships and even hire a boat with others.

Sonic And The Secret Rings
Finally a Sonic game to take us back to his 2D days. The game looks gorgeous and critics have said how much fun the game is to play. Look out for this.

Battalion Wars 2
Never played the original, yet this looks quite fun as far as war games go. Again another title that will benefit from Nintendo’s online service.

Virtual Console Games

Nintendo have said that from day one we will be able to download and save retro games from previous consoles. These require Wii points that can be bought at any game shop. On release Nintendo have stated that the following games will be available to us:

NES (500 points)
Baseball, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Hockey, Mario Bros., Pinball, Soccer, Solomon's Key, Tennis, The Legend of Zelda, Urban Champion, Wario's Woods.

SNES (800 points)
Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, SimCity

N64 (1000 points)
Super Mario 64

Sega Mega Drive (800 points)
Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Columns, Gunstar Heroes, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier II, Toe Jam & Earl, Ristar, Dr. Robotonik's Mean Bean Machine

Turbografx (PC Engine) (600 points)
Bonk's Adventure, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run, Bomberman '93, Dungeon Explorer

And here are some that I remember playing and am looking forward to playing again:

Donkey Kong County (SNES)

This was one of my favourite platforming series. I simply cannot wait till the sequel gets the downloadable treatment, but this will do for now. Taking the role of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong the game takes you through around six worlds if I remember as you enter level upon level of pure platforming heaven. The graphics were simply amazing at the time and the music suited the game so well. I also loved the whole tagging system between the monkeys. Playing with two people was also a lot of fun.

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Is there really any point in introducing this game? It’s an unbelievable game and one that everyone must play.

Sonic The Hedgehog (GEN)

While admittedly not the greatest game in the series, this was still an amazing title. It’s a great game to get started on and hopefully Sega will see right in release two, three and Sonic and Knuckles. The speed was constant enough and with a feeling of “pick up and play one more time” it’s clear this is a must on my list.

Accessories

A Remote and Nunchuck should cost you around £45 for the two (the remote costing £30 with the nunchuck the final £15) and while it is expensive if you want another player to join, it might be an idea getting “Wii Play” as you get a free remote with it. This may cost a tenner more, but with a control worth £30 free who’s complaining.

The classic control should be bought if you’re looking to buy some retro games online. It’s around £15 and rumour has it, it may come with some free Wii points already.

The Wii Point cards will be on sale as 1000 points, 3000 points and 5000 points. 3000 points is displayed on Amazon as costing £15 which is quite a good bargain.

So there you have it. A helpful little guide on what to expect come December 8th and beyond. What games are you getting and is anyone going to collect theirs at midnight?
Tue 21/11/06 at 11:26
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> Ah those fond memories of South Park.

Watching the 2 Wii episodes (episodes 1012 and 1013) of South Park the other day just made me want the Wii even more.

3 weeks? come oooooooooooon.

"I've been waiting for this thing to come out for months, but now its like time is slowing down. It's like waiting for Christmas x 1000."
Mon 20/11/06 at 19:07
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Just found on website that apparently the likes of Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars and Mario RPG have been sent to the board who gives the games certificates. This means they are going to come out on the Wii! Anyone going to download any games on launch?
Sun 19/11/06 at 20:46
Regular
Ghost Killer wrote:
> Agreed about Rayman. It's this sort of game that's going to make
> my mates and I laugh loads. The bunnies look so funny and games
> that involve tossing a cow hundreds of yards couldn't be better.

Or shooting things in the face with a plunger.
Sun 19/11/06 at 19:46
Regular
Ah those fond memories of South Park.
Sun 19/11/06 at 18:18
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Agreed about Rayman. It's this sort of game that's going to make my mates and I laugh loads. The bunnies look so funny and games that involve tossing a cow hundreds of yards couldn't be better.
Sun 19/11/06 at 17:54
Regular
It would ruin it entirely.

Rayman looks nothing short of excellent... but you just can't ignore Monkey Ball.
Sun 19/11/06 at 15:40
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> I also like the Wind Wakers graphics and I cannot wait to
> re-visit them with the Phantom Hourglass (as soon as that and
> Pokemon Diamon/Pearl are released I'll have a proper reason
> (outside of New Super Mario Brothers) to own a DS).
>
> But if you're gonna make Ocarina of Time 2 then you'll need a
> darker graphical style.

Errgh could you imagine windwaker with Ocarina style graphics?
Sun 19/11/06 at 15:39
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Zelda Twilight Princess s probably a great game, don't get me wrong, it's just I'd rather play Monkey Ball or Madden. Red Steel also looks great but again the likes of Rayman looks more fun to me. Anyone looking forward to Mario Strikers? Anyone here enjoy the original?
Sun 19/11/06 at 15:05
Regular
I also like the Wind Wakers graphics and I cannot wait to re-visit them with the Phantom Hourglass (as soon as that and Pokemon Diamon/Pearl are released I'll have a proper reason (outside of New Super Mario Brothers) to own a DS).

But if you're gonna make Ocarina of Time 2 then you'll need a darker graphical style.
Sun 19/11/06 at 15:03
Regular
I like Wind Wakers graphics alot more tbh but I think they'll suit the DS nicely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.