GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games and Violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/05/00 at 13:02
Regular
Why is it that some people don't believe that we can tell the difference between reality and fiction. They seem to think that if we see somthing on t.v or in a game we will automatically want to go out and do it for real (says a lot for self control)! Have these people never played a video game incsase they feel the need to go out and kill somone ? you only have to watch the news have all the members of th IRA been playing games non stop? Has anyone that has blaimed computers games for what they did (and nothing else happened in their life?)?. I think that this is just a way people are trying to find an excuse for people that have no excuse. So that they don't have to be reponsiblke for their actions.
Sun 21/05/00 at 13:02
Why is it that some people don't believe that we can tell the difference between reality and fiction. They seem to think that if we see somthing on t.v or in a game we will automatically want to go out and do it for real (says a lot for self control)! Have these people never played a video game incsase they feel the need to go out and kill somone ? you only have to watch the news have all the members of th IRA been playing games non stop? Has anyone that has blaimed computers games for what they did (and nothing else happened in their life?)?. I think that this is just a way people are trying to find an excuse for people that have no excuse. So that they don't have to be reponsiblke for their actions.
Sun 21/05/00 at 15:26
I completely agree. It's just common sense not to go out and kill someone! It's on the news and soaps all the time, just look at them and you'll see it's a bad thing to do. Games don't influence people.
cem wrote:
> Why is it that some people don't believe that we can tell the
> difference between reality and fiction. They seem to think that
> if we see somthing on t.v or in a game we will automatically want
> to go out and do it for real (says a lot for self control)! Have
> these people never played a video game incsase they feel the need
> to go out and kill somone ? you only have to watch the news have
> all the members of th IRA been playing games non stop? Has anyone
> that has blaimed computers games for what they did (and nothing
> else happened in their life?)?. I think that this is just a way
> people are trying to find an excuse for people that have no
> excuse. So that they don't have to be reponsiblke for their
> actions.
Mon 22/05/00 at 15:13
i don't think anyone is claiming that those who play videogames end up doing life for murder. the debate is nothing to do with the main video game buying market ie adult gamers. the whole point is that sometimes, some children are exposed to a lot of violence on screen from a very eraly age. now this may well be pixellated violence, but, stepping back and considering videogames from a purely common sense point of view we could argue that they do in fact create a norm on which kids may base their future perceptions.

i do not claim to be a psychologist. however at the same time as we cannot make sweeping statments saying that every games player will at some point turn into a maniac, we also cannot categorically state that games have nothing to do with increasing violence levels in society. after all, they are merely an additional visual medium, which along with tv and cinema contributes to a ever growing portion of young children's daily activity.

and kids 'learn' by immitation. of course they don't shoot someone because they did it last night in goldeneye, but, they learn to accept what they see as part and parcel of every day life. so i think that perhaps there may be a certain amount of 'desensitizing' going on, as far as young children and overly violent games goes.

the best pokemon are those which fight the best......

anyway, i believe that if children are getting more violent, then the media are partly to blame. it is here where kids increasingly find role models and escapism. and videogames are a (growing) part of our media-led lives.

don't get me wrong. i love videogames, and there is no reason why kids should stop playing. it may be the part of adults to reinforce the distance between them and reality in the heads of our kids.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.