GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD lip-sync problem - solved?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 23:20
Regular
Okay, I do not take credit for this - I'm simply passing it on. This is from a letter in the latest issue of Play magazine, from someone called Mark.

I also do not know if it actually works, because (a) I do not use my PS2 as a DVD player because I have a dedicated unit, and (b) when I *have* used the DVD playback, I have had no problems with lip-sync. Anyway, here it is...

"...page 7 of the manual, you'll find an auto-diagnosis function, which works as follows: switch on the console with nothing in it and press on your controller to access the main menu then:

1. Select 'Console' and press
2. Select 'On' and press X
3. Insert a disc. I used a DVD which I had been having lip-sync problems with.

The console should now automatically start the diagnosis. After doing this, I have watched several DVD's since and they have all played okay."

Well, there you go. Hope it helps you guys out.
Thu 03/05/01 at 23:20
"High polygon count"
Okay, I do not take credit for this - I'm simply passing it on. This is from a letter in the latest issue of Play magazine, from someone called Mark.

I also do not know if it actually works, because (a) I do not use my PS2 as a DVD player because I have a dedicated unit, and (b) when I *have* used the DVD playback, I have had no problems with lip-sync. Anyway, here it is...

"...page 7 of the manual, you'll find an auto-diagnosis function, which works as follows: switch on the console with nothing in it and press on your controller to access the main menu then:

1. Select 'Console' and press
2. Select 'On' and press X
3. Insert a disc. I used a DVD which I had been having lip-sync problems with.

The console should now automatically start the diagnosis. After doing this, I have watched several DVD's since and they have all played okay."

Well, there you go. Hope it helps you guys out.
Fri 04/05/01 at 13:13
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I has always wondered what this 'auto-diagnosis' thing was, but always forgot to ask..... and I didn't want to switch it on incase it did something nasty.....
Thanks WM
Fri 04/05/01 at 14:33
Hmmm.... If it's true, shame no one from Sony could tell us about it!
Fri 04/05/01 at 15:27
cheers wookie I'll have to try that...nearly ALL of my DVD's have lip-sync issues.
Fri 04/05/01 at 15:41
"High polygon count"
Don't forget - let us know if it does or doesn't work!
Fri 04/05/01 at 19:12
Regular
devo wrote:
> Hmmm.... If it's true, shame no one from Sony could tell us about
> it!

Though the info souds like great news (Thanks WM), it does seem strange that as devo said, Sony haven`t mentioned it.

Anyway, I shall try it tonight and see.
Sat 05/05/01 at 21:05
Regular
There`s good and bad news-

Good - The diagnostic thing works, and keeps a check on the lip sync.

Bad - Its not very good at it.

I tried my DVD that is the worst offender in terms of lip sync, and the diagnostic mode did help keep a check on the sync throughout the movie. However, once it had got to the slipped stage, it held it just slightly out of sync.

Normally, it gets worse and worse and worse and ... but this time it stopped just marginally out. So it works, but not amazingly well.

However, I had to concentrate really hard in order to see that the lips and sound were out of sync. My brother and friends were watching, and could not tell, as they were not thinking about it or looking for it. I only noticed it when I really stared hard.

So, it works, and makes it so imperceptable that it really ain`t a problem. So, thanks for the info, and I hope everyone tries this and has an equal amount of success!
Mon 07/05/01 at 18:45
Cheers for the tip Wookie. It seems to work on most DVDs I've tried. The only one where I still have problems is Snatch, where Brick Top speaks when Turkish suggests puuting Brad Pitt in the fight. All other characters lip synch is fine - it's just the one charcter. How does that work then? It's fine on a Pioneer machine.
Tue 08/05/01 at 07:28
yeah wookie after very limited testing (disc 2 of Gladiator) I can say that it does seem to work!! hoorah!

just got to try it on my others now......
Tue 08/05/01 at 10:38
"High polygon count"
Glad it seems to be helping, but remember it's not my discovery!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.