GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I will be Keeping My N64 for a long time to come."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/05/00 at 17:55
Regular
Boom!!! Out comes the Dreamcast, everyone is amazed by Sonic Adventure. Kapow!!! Soon we will have the Playstation 2 and everyone will be saying Tekken the next Generation is super. Bang!!! Soon, people will start to talk of the Dolphin, and the whole world of video games will be shook once more. But then, like the Dreamcast has found out, making new games to satisfy all these new customers is a lot harder than it looks. People nowadays are too used to playing their favourite games on the N64 or the Playstation and with all this new found power, people think that the new developers should really be pushing the Hardware to it's limits before it has even found it's bearings. While all those people, wishing for new and more realistic games buy their Dreamcasts and Playstation 2s, all those people just wishing for some Rock hard Gaming Experiances keep their machines untill they die to sample some of the most amazing games ever to rock the world. While all those people who try and dive deeper into Graphical Frippery may be pleased for a while with their Next-Gen machines, how many people can actually say they don't miss all those classics that they used to play. How many people honestly can raise their hand and say, "I am very glad I sold My PSX or my N64 with all those classic games" Not many I am sure. If all people want are amazing graphics and no Gameplay, why not stare blankly at a photograph for a while. They are as realistic as things come. So, I have decided, I will not be like those people, I will continue to play the old classics such as Lylat Wars and Goldeneye and chuckle at those who have only a few games for their new Next-Gen Consoles. And another thing, I am really pleased that the N64 has been surpassed by the Dreamcast, because I am able to get many Class Titles, for only a measley £9:99. So I rest my case, I will be happy with my machine, and laugh at those who think that the Next Generation Consoles will rule the world. Maybe in a year or too, but for a long while to come, classic consoles will live on in the spirit of gamers.
Sun 04/06/00 at 16:41
Future of Gaming:
We all dream about playing games in virtual reality and moving the character around by your own movements. With the way technology is advancing you could easily say in less than 10 years people will be buying virtual reality headsets like they were consoles. Imagine playing ISS as one of the players wearing the headset. You will get the best control and you could score some brilliant goals. Or Imagine you are playing a detective game and you can interact with virtual characters to find out the clues. Even better will be shoot’ em ups where you and even your mate can combines your skill and play cooperative diving behind crates, firing guns and using stealth. You would think you were in the army or something. All together the Future of Gaming is looking to be one of the most incredible things ever. The only thing is that this won’t happen for sometime so until then I will play perfect dark (if I can get hold of it!)
Sun 04/06/00 at 16:41
DowBoy wrote:
> Boom!!! Out comes the Dreamcast, everyone is amazed by Sonic
> Adventure. Kapow!!! Soon we will have the Playstation 2 and
> everyone will be saying Tekken the next Generation is super.
> Bang!!! Soon, people will start to talk of the Dolphin, and the
> whole world of video games will be shook once more. But then, like
> the Dreamcast has found out, making new games to satisfy all these
> new customers is a lot harder than it looks. People nowadays are
> too used to playing their favourite games on the N64 or the
> Playstation and with all this new found power, people think that
> the new developers should really be pushing the Hardware to it's
> limits before it has even found it's bearings. While all those
> people, wishing for new and more realistic games buy their
> Dreamcasts and Playstation 2s, all those people just wishing for
> some Rock hard Gaming Experiances keep their machines untill they
> die to sample some of the most amazing games ever to rock the
> world. While all those people who try and dive deeper into
> Graphical Frippery may be pleased for a while with their Next-Gen
> machines, how many people can actually say they don't miss all
> those classics that they used to play. How many people honestly
> can raise their hand and say, "I am very glad I sold My PSX or my
> N64 with all those classic games" Not many I am sure. If all
> people want are amazing graphics and no Gameplay, why not stare
> blankly at a photograph for a while. They are as realistic as
> things come. So, I have decided, I will not be like those people,
> I will continue to play the old classics such as Lylat Wars and
> Goldeneye and chuckle at those who have only a few games for their
> new Next-Gen Consoles. And another thing, I am really pleased that
> the N64 has been surpassed by the Dreamcast, because I am able to
> get many Class Titles, for only a measley £9:99. So I rest my
> case, I will be happy with my machine, and laugh at those who
> think that the Next Generation Consoles will rule the world. Maybe
> in a year or too, but for a long while to come, classic consoles
> will live on in the spirit of gamers.
Thu 01/06/00 at 00:51
Why is it, that whenever a new console comes out with spangly new graphics and a useful (but ultimately gimmicky) selling point (DVD player, internet access) you all jump ship and abandon your favourite console for the latest bit of kit? I'm the proud owner of a Playstation, N64, Dreamcast and many of the older consoles such as megadrive and snes. I even have most of the handheld machines too, most recently the neo geo pocket. However, do I have a distinct and personal favourite? no! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, definitely. But to say a certain console 'sucks' or is 'rubbish' is complete drivel. I could say the N64 sucks due to it's relative lack of brilliant titles, disregarding the fact it's home to the best console game of all time (in my opinion, of course) Zelda 64. I could say the Playstation was awash with poor, dull games from tired genres with glitchy, low res graphics, disregarding the fact the machine has broken more records than a disgruntled virgin megastore clerk. The dreamcast has it's faults.... still no online gaming, and it's being drowned by poor PC ports. Then again, with half life and Quake 3 on the horizon, who's to say I'm not completely wrong? My point is, the fickle gaming public need to acknowledge each console individually, not comparing their N64 to their friends dreamcast, simply because they can't afford one. (and yes, I work very hard at my local branch of tescos to finance my gaming habit!) The average gamers not going to want to buy each and every console, so making a choice between them is inevitable. However, to slate other consoles without any real basis other than 'I haven't got it' is ridiculous. Wise up.
Thu 25/05/00 at 22:36
This is exactly how i feel my N64 will always be plugged in to my T.V
no matter how old or "out of date it is" the games like Goldeneye and Zelda are timeless clasics which despite finishing them many times i will still play.
And when the Next Gen consoles although they look promising will never earn a place on my Screen unless they justify spending £200 on when the N64 will do
and i will be able to buy games incredibly cheaply from second hand shops and off my friends.
The N64 will never die (well not for a long time)
Sun 21/05/00 at 17:55
Boom!!! Out comes the Dreamcast, everyone is amazed by Sonic Adventure. Kapow!!! Soon we will have the Playstation 2 and everyone will be saying Tekken the next Generation is super. Bang!!! Soon, people will start to talk of the Dolphin, and the whole world of video games will be shook once more. But then, like the Dreamcast has found out, making new games to satisfy all these new customers is a lot harder than it looks. People nowadays are too used to playing their favourite games on the N64 or the Playstation and with all this new found power, people think that the new developers should really be pushing the Hardware to it's limits before it has even found it's bearings. While all those people, wishing for new and more realistic games buy their Dreamcasts and Playstation 2s, all those people just wishing for some Rock hard Gaming Experiances keep their machines untill they die to sample some of the most amazing games ever to rock the world. While all those people who try and dive deeper into Graphical Frippery may be pleased for a while with their Next-Gen machines, how many people can actually say they don't miss all those classics that they used to play. How many people honestly can raise their hand and say, "I am very glad I sold My PSX or my N64 with all those classic games" Not many I am sure. If all people want are amazing graphics and no Gameplay, why not stare blankly at a photograph for a while. They are as realistic as things come. So, I have decided, I will not be like those people, I will continue to play the old classics such as Lylat Wars and Goldeneye and chuckle at those who have only a few games for their new Next-Gen Consoles. And another thing, I am really pleased that the N64 has been surpassed by the Dreamcast, because I am able to get many Class Titles, for only a measley £9:99. So I rest my case, I will be happy with my machine, and laugh at those who think that the Next Generation Consoles will rule the world. Maybe in a year or too, but for a long while to come, classic consoles will live on in the spirit of gamers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.