GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Japanese movies always have to include rape and death of the main character?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/09/04 at 22:28
Regular
I'm fairly new to Japanese movies so wonder about this. I bought the Beat Takeshi trilogy the other day and every movie had rape in, and the main character died. I dont know if this is just something Takeshi Kitano chooses to do but it seems really odd. I have to admit though that one of the rape scenes, although tasteless made me smile. Kitano had just killed a room full of bad guys. Then he finds the waitress hiding behind a sofa. The next scene he's on top of her. Its so bloody tasteless. Funny though. Dont ask me why. Maybe you'll understand if you've seen the movie (son. And then at the end of each of these movies. Kitano gets killed or commits suicide. For example in sonatine he had beaten the bad guys and seemed to be safe. Then he takes a gun out of his pocket and blasts his brains out. WTF. Then the credits role and it confuses me. Its like a total difference to hollywood movies. Where in them you know that the main character will almost definately survive, against the odds. But in Japanese films, you seem to know that the main character will die. But this may just be in takeshi kitano movies. Because no one was raped in battle royale, but that was directed by Kenji Fukosawa. But did the main characters die in that? I cant remember. Its been awhile since I saw it. Please will someone whose seen other Kitano movies explain, or maybe its just hiss 'artistic directorial vision.' Either way its weird. But dont get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the movies in the box and it only cost 15 quid.

By the way Kitano is a very skilled actor and director. He uses clever camera techniques and his acting is so understated, yet brutal when necessary.
Fri 03/09/04 at 16:19
Regular
Takeshi Kitano died in that to then?
Fri 03/09/04 at 07:24
Regular
Reefer wrote:
> In BR, the main characters did survive (excluding Kawada, but he's
> only secondary to Nakagawa and Nanahara).

Thanks, I'd forgotten.
Oh and I agree that violent cop isn't the best kitano movie. It had dodgy subtitles to. My favourite was sonatine.
Fri 03/09/04 at 01:20
Regular
In BR, the main characters did survive (excluding Kawada, but he's only secondary to Nakagawa and Nanahara).
Fri 03/09/04 at 00:59
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Rule number 1 of trying to understand the Japanese - Don't bother.

I've been talking to representatives of a few Uni's over there lately and i swear the reps are high on something. They're absolutely mad, one of them talked to me for 5 minutes just about a small park about 10 minutes from the university explaining everything in great detail in it, and i do mean everything.

But then this is the people who crippled themselves on Takeshi's Castle for no apparent reason

Got to love them though :-D
Thu 02/09/04 at 22:43
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Beat Takeshi rules.
do not question him :)
... unless it's about Violent Cop, that's kinda poor by his standards.
Thu 02/09/04 at 22:28
Regular
I'm fairly new to Japanese movies so wonder about this. I bought the Beat Takeshi trilogy the other day and every movie had rape in, and the main character died. I dont know if this is just something Takeshi Kitano chooses to do but it seems really odd. I have to admit though that one of the rape scenes, although tasteless made me smile. Kitano had just killed a room full of bad guys. Then he finds the waitress hiding behind a sofa. The next scene he's on top of her. Its so bloody tasteless. Funny though. Dont ask me why. Maybe you'll understand if you've seen the movie (son. And then at the end of each of these movies. Kitano gets killed or commits suicide. For example in sonatine he had beaten the bad guys and seemed to be safe. Then he takes a gun out of his pocket and blasts his brains out. WTF. Then the credits role and it confuses me. Its like a total difference to hollywood movies. Where in them you know that the main character will almost definately survive, against the odds. But in Japanese films, you seem to know that the main character will die. But this may just be in takeshi kitano movies. Because no one was raped in battle royale, but that was directed by Kenji Fukosawa. But did the main characters die in that? I cant remember. Its been awhile since I saw it. Please will someone whose seen other Kitano movies explain, or maybe its just hiss 'artistic directorial vision.' Either way its weird. But dont get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the movies in the box and it only cost 15 quid.

By the way Kitano is a very skilled actor and director. He uses clever camera techniques and his acting is so understated, yet brutal when necessary.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.