GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gladiator VS Titanic"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/05/01 at 19:36
Regular
All of this contraversy about Gladiator winning Best Picture has brought up comparison to 1997 with Titanic's win.

I take this as an insult. If Titanic is predictable, it's also well-made, exciting and effective. Gladiator is merely predictable. The action sequences in Titanic had me on the edge of my seat watching in amazement as the boat was falling apart. Gladiator had me feeling sick with its shaky camera work and frequent cutting. I had no idea what was going on, except that it was bloody.

In addition, the visual effects in Gladiator were lousy. The Coliseum looked like it was CGI whereas the visuals in Titanic were surprisingly real despite being three years older. Gladiator's Best Visual Effects Oscar is just as much a travesty as its Best Picture Oscar. Hollow Man might not have been a great movie, but at least the special effects looked real.

Pace wise, Titanic feels like a shorter movie than Gladiator even though it's an hour longer. I was yawning my way through parts of Gladiator, but was involved the entire length of Titanic.

Titanic was an epic. It may have been manipulative and it may have been predictable, but it was also enormously entertaining. Gladiator was a rip-off of Braveheart without motivated characters or any kind of energy. Academy members voted for Titanic because it was an incredible experience, they voted for Gladiator because they thought they were supposed to.

Gladiator is not a bad film but compared to the Titanic it is not as good in all areas.
Thu 03/05/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I think you'll find that most people knew what was going to happen at the end of Titanic.

;)
Thu 03/05/01 at 20:33
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I feel that Gladiator was a great film as was Titanic. As for special effects of Gladiator, I thought the way they had made the whole surroundings look authentically like ancient Rome was very deserving of an award. Predictable? I suppose. But most films are. Don't tell me you haven't been suprised when the good guys win and the bad guys lose.. :)
Thu 03/05/01 at 19:36
All of this contraversy about Gladiator winning Best Picture has brought up comparison to 1997 with Titanic's win.

I take this as an insult. If Titanic is predictable, it's also well-made, exciting and effective. Gladiator is merely predictable. The action sequences in Titanic had me on the edge of my seat watching in amazement as the boat was falling apart. Gladiator had me feeling sick with its shaky camera work and frequent cutting. I had no idea what was going on, except that it was bloody.

In addition, the visual effects in Gladiator were lousy. The Coliseum looked like it was CGI whereas the visuals in Titanic were surprisingly real despite being three years older. Gladiator's Best Visual Effects Oscar is just as much a travesty as its Best Picture Oscar. Hollow Man might not have been a great movie, but at least the special effects looked real.

Pace wise, Titanic feels like a shorter movie than Gladiator even though it's an hour longer. I was yawning my way through parts of Gladiator, but was involved the entire length of Titanic.

Titanic was an epic. It may have been manipulative and it may have been predictable, but it was also enormously entertaining. Gladiator was a rip-off of Braveheart without motivated characters or any kind of energy. Academy members voted for Titanic because it was an incredible experience, they voted for Gladiator because they thought they were supposed to.

Gladiator is not a bad film but compared to the Titanic it is not as good in all areas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.