GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Visual Basic"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/08/04 at 20:42
Regular
"We are not alone!!!"
I am interested in starting programming and i was wondering if Visual Basic is the best program to go with and i was also wondering where to get it from?
Fri 03/09/04 at 14:36
Regular
I started my programming life through VB.

It was VB that teached me the fundamentals of programming, it introduced me to loops, arrays, string manipulation and many other delightful things.

I then moved onto C and I was already packed with the knowledge of the principles of programming, so adapting to it wasn't really that difficult.

I'm now hoping to move up to C++ or C#.
Fri 03/09/04 at 12:08
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Yamoo!!! wrote:
> You can't "GOTO 25" in other languages.
>
> It will lead people to look for those events.
>
> And if you can I would very much like to know how.
> It could help better than the while loops.

*shiver*

No-one, but NO-ONE should be forced or want to use goto's in this day and age.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I remember for the Y2k project, debugging code written in the 80's that only used gotos. Not a function in sight. I still have nightmares.
Fri 03/09/04 at 12:00
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
AliBoy wrote:
> I'd agree with Pandaemonium on this. Its far easier to get to grips
> with a simpler language like Basic which will teach you the main
> design approaches that are common in most programming languages.

Thanks. That's what I was trying to get across.

Also, C++ and Java can sometimes take an incredible amout of work to even get a blakc screen working. I dabble in games programming and spending days going through pages and pages of system control code can be vastly intimidating.

VB/VB.NET? File -> new -> draw some controls.

Instant results.
Fri 03/09/04 at 11:52
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'd agree with Pandaemonium on this. Its far easier to get to grips with a simpler language like Basic which will teach you the main design approaches that are common in most programming languages.

From here you can decide which language(s) you want to be fairly confident programming in, you'll have the basic knowledge so starting a new language will be a little easier. I'd reccomend C, C++ or JAVA once you've done all you want with Basic.
Fri 03/09/04 at 11:45
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Actually don't start off with any of these things-learn to program and indent properly in html and javascript.

Much easier.

For a complete begginer basic my be a good idea but when a complete begginner starts to do other languages they won't be able to grasp it as easily as they would if they start from scratch.

I talk from experience.

You can't "GOTO 25" in other languages.

It will lead people to look for those events.

And if you can I would very much like to know how.
It could help better than the while loops.
Fri 03/09/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Yamoo!!! wrote:
> Don't learn Basic unless you are under the age of 12 or you really
> really don't want to program later in your life.
>
> I advise not to do assembly too.
>
> Start with a language like java or c as they are easy to learn and
> free.

Dear lord. I have to disagree. If he uses VB.net, it'll allow him to learn an event driven language, with full object orientation and allow a nice smooth transition into c# once the basics are learned.

I've seen people try to learn C++ or Java from scratch and get amazingly frustrated with it and walk away. I'd also disagree about it teaching bad habits too.

I personally can learn ANY language in less than a month and have good results in it (example, a self written java game uploaded to a motorola handset in four weeks) and this is because I started learning many years ago in BASIC, numbered basic at that, not this new fangled event driven basic.

I'd suggest standard VB to learn the basic rules. For..Next, do..while, arrays, prodedures, methods. Once you've got a good understanding in these concepts, transfering them to another language is simple.

Then you can get down to the nitty gritty of low level memory maniplulation of C++ pointers to pointers (my dissertation)

My suggested route.

VB -> VB.NET -> C#/JAVA

:) :) :)
Fri 03/09/04 at 11:19
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Don't learn Basic unless you are under the age of 12 or you really really don't want to program later in your life.

I advise not to do assembly too.

Start with a language like java or c as they are easy to learn and free.

I recommend Java as it is based on C++ and will be helpful to you.
It is all object orientated.

And it will run the same on unix and windows.

Learning a Basic language will teach you bad habits.

If you need a light introduction just get an advanced version of turtle program(also know as logo) and learn how to set it to program certaing things.
Fri 03/09/04 at 00:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It depends on what you wish to achieve later in terms of programming. Plenty of languages worth learning each with their own pros and cons.
Fri 03/09/04 at 00:02
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I started off in QBasic with a Dummies book to beginning programming. Just look on Amazon for a book with consistant excellent reviews for QBasic maybe. I wouldn't recommend TrueBasic just cause it annoyed me so much. However VB is generally harder to understand if you don't first understand programming basics and Basic. Good luck.
Mon 30/08/04 at 21:13
"High polygon count"
It'll cost you a pretty penny, and it's not the best BASIC language to start with, either.

Try a simpler form of BASIC first.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.