GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Urusei Machie"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/11/06 at 21:41
Regular
This is where I post problems and questions while I work on my Language/Travel website.

Link coming soon =)
Sat 18/11/06 at 21:41
Regular
This is where I post problems and questions while I work on my Language/Travel website.

Link coming soon =)
Sat 18/11/06 at 21:52
Regular
Daily Image/Link change feature

Okay not sure how this might be done. I have an image that when clicked, takes you to another page. But I need to change this image and the link every single day. Is there any way I can do this without having to come on daily and change it myself. I'd love to have it all change itself so I dont have to worry about it.
Sat 18/11/06 at 22:03
Regular
Displaying User's Time

Maybe I should do a quick search, is it possible to post the users desktop time using javascript right? And is there a way to display the time in the UK, well I guess it would be the servers time. How would I display that?
Sat 18/11/06 at 22:09
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
You can do local time with Javascript, the method is date() if I remember correctly but it's been a while...
And as for UK time, you could get the server time using PHP and add/subtract as many hours as is necessary.
Sat 18/11/06 at 22:31
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> Displaying User's Time

Part 2 of this page shows you how to display your current time to visitors via javascript.
Sat 18/11/06 at 22:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> Daily Image/Link change feature

Yes its possible, can do it via javascript or server side (PHP). You'd need to explain a little more how you'd want the rotation to work before can advise further though.
Sat 18/11/06 at 22:59
Regular
Thanks guys :)

Just testing the javascript now for the user time. Is PHP the only way I can display the serve time? Or could I use a Perl script instead? The server time is for my UK main page, the user time is for the section on timezones.

@Garin

No rotation really. I'm borrowing ideas from IMDB, where they have the quote of the day thing. Well in the quiz I did a question where they had to give the name of the country by looking at the map of it.

So I wanted to do it daily for my site as something a little fun for users, but I'm not sure I'd be able to come online daily and change it manually (especially if I'm travelling), so it would be nice to have something in place to do it for me. "What country is this?" title, then the map (which should change daily) and clicking the map will take you to the countries profile page. So I guess it's a queue rather than a rotation.

Hope this gives you an idea of what I'm doing, I have other uses for it too though. Like a "picture of the day" for my photography, clicking it will take you to a bigger version.

In the quiz the answer was India, most got it right
Sat 18/11/06 at 23:27
Regular
Just tried that code, it works, but it needs some editing. Just need the one time :S

"Your Local Time: 23:16 on Saturday
Website Business Office: 18:16 on Saturday"
Sat 18/11/06 at 23:51
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> Just testing the javascript now for the user time. Is PHP the
> only way I can display the serve time? Or could I use a Perl
> script instead? The server time is for my UK main page, the user
> time is for the section on timezones.

PHP is an easier way to do it as you can embed it in your page. You can do it via Perl too but then you need to use server side includes as well. So in my opinion, its best to just change the file extension on your pages to .php (which you'll need to do anyway for other dynamic elements) and then can just put
<?=date('g:ia on jS F Y',time())?>
which displays 11:30pm on 18th Novemenber 2006 I think. If you want to change the format, have a look at the table on this page http://uk.php.net/date and just replace the characters between the ' ' as needed.

> So I wanted to do it daily for my site as something a little fun
> for users, but I'm not sure I'd be able to come online daily and
> change it manually (especially if I'm travelling), so it would
> be nice to have something in place to do it for me. "What
> country is this?" title, then the map (which should change
> daily) and clicking the map will take you to the countries
> profile page. So I guess it's a queue rather than a rotation.

Easy enough then, it depends how much effort you want to go into in regards to administrating it. If you want an admin area for it you can find numerous image rotation scripts in php which should be easy enough to modify. If you're happy enough just modifying a text file every so often I can show you the code for it as its quite trivial.
Sun 19/11/06 at 10:53
Regular
Well I was hoping to avoid php but I guess I can't :-D

I tried the code, it came up with

"10:26am o11 19th November 2006"

Rather odd, it changed the 'n' into '11' for some reason.

I think I want two version.

- Sunday 19th November 2005
- 10:32AM* on Sunday

12 hour clock

The first, for the main page (maybe) and the latter for people working out their time zones.

Can I get the servers time on here too? I want it for the main UK page. As not everyone has the correct time on their PC.

I think I would also need the servers time so I can do a "what time is it in X" page. So for Singapore it would have to be [server time]+8hrsAM/PM on [date]. Hopefully that wont be too difficult to do.

----
RE:Daily Image

I'd like to keep it simple but I'm worried that in the end I might have 5+ of these daily changing images running. Which might be too much for an admin area. I'd be fine modifying a text file though :-) Can I have a look at the code please Garin?

While I wait I'll play around with that time display to see if I can get it to display what I want. ^^

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.