GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future........will be the same....probably......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/05/00 at 22:47
Regular
The Future of Gaming? I wouldn't bet on it being all that different, not for another 10-15years anyway. Whats going to change when it REALLY comes down to it?

OK, we'll see better graphics, more effects, better 3D sound, games for OAP's (Sim Post Office....fooking funny) :-)) But i doubt we'll see anything truely original.

Think about every game available at the moment, is there any one of them that is truely original and not just a rehash of some other game? Well, actually come to think of it I guess The Sims is very original, and extremely addictive and good fun...

Hmm...erm, i think i'm beating me own argument here, oh well......As i was saying, the games we'll see in the future will be the same thing over and over again. I've noticed a lot of complaints about rehashes and sequels at the moment, but i think there really is little the developers can do about it. The simple fact is any game you buy will have been done in the past by some other game, even The Sims is really just Theme Park in another guise...

Until we see some real technological developments, like truely intelligent AI, game environments that actually do develop, whole worlds that have been modelled, entirely open games then i doubt we'll see anything truely new for a long time.

The closest we can get to something exciting at the moment are the Online RPG's that are around such as Ultima Online and Everquest. Those games are truely something special, but we can already see real similarities between them, they're basically the same idea with a few little tweaks in each. But either way they're still the sort of game in which anything can happen. Once we see that sort of game much more expanded then we'll be seeing something truely exciting.

The other major advance that we're in need of is VR. It'll make some major changes in games and will really let the gaming industry take off in a big way i think. Graphics are already good enough for VR we just now lack the technology cheap enough to properly put it to good use.

So PLEASE stop moaning about the games that are available atm, firstly sequels are the natural state for a console (PC games don't suffer quite so bad...although we are up to Quake3 now, but that series is an exception), and secondly just wait, give it 10 years, we'll all be a hell of a lot older and marvelling at the latest release of Virtual Post Office.... :-)
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 24/05/00 at 22:47
The Future of Gaming? I wouldn't bet on it being all that different, not for another 10-15years anyway. Whats going to change when it REALLY comes down to it?

OK, we'll see better graphics, more effects, better 3D sound, games for OAP's (Sim Post Office....fooking funny) :-)) But i doubt we'll see anything truely original.

Think about every game available at the moment, is there any one of them that is truely original and not just a rehash of some other game? Well, actually come to think of it I guess The Sims is very original, and extremely addictive and good fun...

Hmm...erm, i think i'm beating me own argument here, oh well......As i was saying, the games we'll see in the future will be the same thing over and over again. I've noticed a lot of complaints about rehashes and sequels at the moment, but i think there really is little the developers can do about it. The simple fact is any game you buy will have been done in the past by some other game, even The Sims is really just Theme Park in another guise...

Until we see some real technological developments, like truely intelligent AI, game environments that actually do develop, whole worlds that have been modelled, entirely open games then i doubt we'll see anything truely new for a long time.

The closest we can get to something exciting at the moment are the Online RPG's that are around such as Ultima Online and Everquest. Those games are truely something special, but we can already see real similarities between them, they're basically the same idea with a few little tweaks in each. But either way they're still the sort of game in which anything can happen. Once we see that sort of game much more expanded then we'll be seeing something truely exciting.

The other major advance that we're in need of is VR. It'll make some major changes in games and will really let the gaming industry take off in a big way i think. Graphics are already good enough for VR we just now lack the technology cheap enough to properly put it to good use.

So PLEASE stop moaning about the games that are available atm, firstly sequels are the natural state for a console (PC games don't suffer quite so bad...although we are up to Quake3 now, but that series is an exception), and secondly just wait, give it 10 years, we'll all be a hell of a lot older and marvelling at the latest release of Virtual Post Office.... :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.