GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"10 Best SF movies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/08/04 at 09:24
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1290561,00.html[/URL]

1 Blade Runner (1982) Dir: Ridley Scott
2 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Dir: Stanley Kubrick
3 Star Wars (1977)/Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4 Alien (1979) Dir: Ridley Scott
5 Solaris (1972) Dir: Andrei Tarkovsky
6 Terminator (1984)/T2: Judgment day (1991) Dir: James Cameron
7 The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Dir: Robert Wise
8 War of the Worlds (1953) Dir: Byron Haskin
9 The Matrix (1999) Dir: Andy & Larry Wachowski
10 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Dir: Steven Spielberg

Well, I generally (sortof) agree, but where's Gattaca?
Alien is strictly a horror "haunted house" movie, but I still love it. Star Wars I'd drop, but definately keep ESB. Never seen the original Solaris but love the Soderburg remake. 2001 for all it's pretentiousness, does make you think. Same with Bladerunner.

My personal list:-

1 Gattaca
2 Solaris (Excellent movie. If you didn't like it and consider it boring, you have no soul. It's a beautiful love story)
3 Testuo: The Iron Man (Japanese Madness, check the sequel out, but its a far weaker movie)
4 Delecatessin
5 The Thing
6 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless mind
7 Blade Runner
8 Vanilla Sky (it was all a dream! Usually hate this, but was expecting a chick flick. I got a quite thoughfull and clever SF movie)
9 Dune (Parp! I love it. Sue me)
10 The City Of Lost Children.

Runners up, Cube, Brazil, PI, Dark City, Planet of the apes, the day the earth stood still, A clockwork orange, Invasiobn of the body snatchers (original), Alien / Aliens / Alien3. Not sucky Alien4 (Jeunets direction, Perlman and Pinon regardless)
Sat 28/08/04 at 12:41
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Whitestripes DX wrote:
> What's with all the Empire Strikes back? I thought it was the worst
> of
> the original trilogy.
>
> ----------
>
> Madness! Empire had the good guys getting whooped, Vader being Vader
> and the introduction of the badass imperial march theme. And Yoda.
> And Boba Fett.

One word: "Ewoks". That automatically makes RotJ worst.
Sat 28/08/04 at 12:12
Regular
"That's right!"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> What's with all the Empire Strikes back? I thought it was the worst of
> the original trilogy.

----------

Madness! Empire had the good guys getting whooped, Vader being Vader and the introduction of the badass imperial march theme. And Yoda. And Boba Fett.
Sat 28/08/04 at 10:36
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Aliens - The best of the 5 films made, great kick ass action and storyline make this just edge the first one, my best film.

Alien - This was the scariest movie made at the time, and was a bench mark in which all other sci fi horrors followed

The Thing - John Carpenters best film by a long shot and scared the life out of me when I first seen this.

2001 space oddyssey - How can we forget al the dogey on board computer going mad, breathtaking for a film made this early.

War of the Worlds - This film is still watchable today and is only in my list because it was one of my best films when I was younger, hope the next one will be just as good.

Terminator - Come on you can't have an indestructable android not in your list.

Matrix - The first one was just brilliant, slow mo, cool cothes and a no nonsense attitude, groundbreaking.

Alien 3 - OK so it wasn't as good as the first 2 but it still had the killings and kick ass action you expect, still highly enjoyable.

Planet of the Apes - This film should be in anybodys top 10 and is packed with suspense.

Starship Troopers - I love a film with good monsters in and this is no different, giant bugs ripping people up is great fun to watch
Sat 28/08/04 at 00:53
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> What's with all the Empire Strikes back? I thought it was the worst of
> the original trilogy.

Possibly the greatest ever character development movie ever made, in my opinion.. Jedi was the worst, but it's still amazing.
Sat 28/08/04 at 00:50
Regular
What's with all the Empire Strikes back? I thought it was the worst of the original trilogy.

My favourite is Edward Scissorhands.

It might not be classed as Sci-Fi, but he is a really advanced robot, and that's good enough for me.
Sat 28/08/04 at 00:13
Regular
"The South Will Rise"
The Best ones I recon are

1. Battlestar Galatica (2003 Remake)
2. Star Trek: First Contact Best one out of the series
3. Fifth Element Bruce Willis is just quality in this film
4. Planet of the Apes Charlton Heston and the beach sequence is good when you actually find out he is really been on earth
5. Starship Troopers This is a good movie, but the second one is really pansy, but the first is still brilliant.[/B]
6. Solaris [I]Got to agree, is a good movie, didn't really understand it at first.[/B]
7. Alien & Aliens [I]These are good, the other 2 are boring and useless i think

8. Running Man Brilliant Book, and Brilliant movie, although if they re-made it could have more special effects, but unfortunatly no mr governor though.
9. Dawn of the Dead (1978, I think) Good movie, and made me wanted to know what happens to the whole earth, does it get destroyed and all of mankind wiped out. Re-make not good though.
10. Logan's Run So good, a world were people are only allowed to live till their only 30. Credit to good Sci-Fi movies.

These are in no particular order
Fri 27/08/04 at 23:06
Regular
The fifth element.
Cos it made me laugh.
Fri 27/08/04 at 21:42
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Blade Runner, Return of The Jedi (if only for the final battles), Fifth Element (I like it anyway, and it's a brilliant sci-fi), Terminator 1 (and 2 but 1 is scarier and bettah), and Alien, if I'm to admit I still am absoloutely terrified of the eponymous creation.

I liked 'Eternal Sunshine...' a lot. Space 2001 was great but also not. But also was. And very quiet.
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> How about Titanic vs The Abyss?
>
> that could work.
>
> Titanic sets sail, crappy love story starts, Titanic sinks, Aliens
> save Titanic, Several Full Frontals of Kate Winslet, Roll Credits.

You forgot the part where the Predator turns up to win Winslets hand in marrige, right after he calves a shield out of the flesh and bones of Leonardo DiCaprio.
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That's why I love it. It's awful, but it's really watchable and I
> love bad movies anyway, especially bad movies directed by John
> Carpenter.

True, I'm a big bad movie aficionado too. Johnny Mnemonic, Battlefield Earth…………...Ahhh, cinematic garbage, but so much fun to watch (and pick to pieces).

Carpenter is responsible for a number of my favorite movies, but theres no denying that for every Precinct 13, Thing and Mouth of Madness, there’s a Ghosts of mars, Village of the damned and Escape from LA lurking in his résumé. :D :D :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.