GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backing up HD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Hi everyone,

I want to back up my HD- problem is it's 120GB, and I've got 75GB left. Obviously 120Gb is too much, so would creating a sperate partition work? Is it easy/safe to do?

Thanks.
Fri 27/08/04 at 13:17
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Pfft, sod this. Waaay to risky. I burned all my school work, movie files, music etc onto a couple of DVD's, and I'll have to live with re-installing all my programs from scratch if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the help.
Fri 27/08/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I do know with Ghost you boot via the CD, so in theory it will be able to get an exact copy, but I've tried this before, copied the image to the new drive but it blue screened, I only recommend you do this on another drive if that is your only drive you risk losing everything.
Thu 26/08/04 at 23:51
Regular
Though most HD images can be mounted as a imaginary drive, so you can access files and folders from there, copying and deleting stuff where required.

Edit: with Acronis TrueImage you can append to images now, basically saving the changes to any sectors on the HD since the last image copy. Works a treat.
Thu 26/08/04 at 23:48
Regular
"Back For Good"
I can't recommend 'making an image' of your hard drive, This is basically your entire OS inc all files and folders wrapped up in one file so you can load it one day if your OS packs in. The reason for this is you edit/create/delete files all the time and can't add to it. Also any change in hardware may cause blue screen errors.

It's much simpler to put in another hard drive and use it for backing up files. Partitioning the drive is also an option but remember if the hard drive packs in it's all on the same drive.
Thu 26/08/04 at 18:19
Regular
"Freeola Support"
It shouldn't be hard to do in theory, you can backup your drive via Norton Ghost and then partition the drive, as you want to repartition everything will be lost from the drive so do backup everyhting you may want, also after placing the ghost backups back on your new partitions Windows is known to faf about and complain (e.g blue screen), this means you best be prepaired to reinstall your OS.
Wed 25/08/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Hi everyone,

I want to back up my HD- problem is it's 120GB, and I've got 75GB left. Obviously 120Gb is too much, so would creating a sperate partition work? Is it easy/safe to do?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.