GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Asian DVDs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/08/04 at 12:10
Regular
I've been sifting through eBay this morning looking for some new DVDs. Particularly, CSI, Buffy, Angel and The X-Files.

And I've come across these "Asian" versions which compared to their UK counterparts are like a million times cheaper. I mean, like I can get five box sets for the price of 1 UK one!!

Anyways, what I wanna know is are they exactly the same as the R2/R1 versions just with Jap writing on the box?
Wed 01/09/04 at 20:19
Regular
Hush you.
Wed 01/09/04 at 19:52
Regular
YOU'RE ALL FUNDING TERR... erm.. probably some kid's college fees, actually.
Wed 01/09/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Nice.

CSI is a brilliant program.

I wouldn't hesitate to say it's superior to 24.
Wed 01/09/04 at 19:47
Regular
CSI season 3 arrived today.
Tis real and all fancy too. Not all box setty though, the discs are in sleeves chucked into a CSI book type of case but I can't complain for a tenner!
Wed 25/08/04 at 13:03
Regular
"cachoo"
The ones I bought were Asian copies but weren't even real Asian copies! They say Special Features, but don't have special features. You press Special Features, but they just go to a part of an episode! Stoopid. Episodes are fine though. S'ok, though. Not bad for a fiver. ;)
Wed 25/08/04 at 12:17
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Belldandy wrote:
> "Special Asian Edition" = Pirate
>
> They take the US region 1 version, copy it and the packaging, resell.
> A new tactic some sellers are trying is to say the DVDs are region 1,
> when they are in fact multiregion. Asian DVD's should be R2 or R3, if
> they aren't, and it's not some obscure release, then it's a copy.
> I've seen the CSI Miami Asian Edition and it is very very poor -
> DVD's look like VHS quality and some episodes do not even play at
> all, others skip. The discs are burned at really high speeds on
> lowest quality discs (maximise profit), hence why they are crap.
>
> A very small number of titles on eBay are genuine when they are
> sourced from Asian sellers, and inceasingly UK/US sellers 'cause
> people buy them to resell.
>
> Film companies in the US and UK have both recently warned eBay to
> clean up it's act, and the government has signalled it will be really
> cracking down on pirate copies pretty soon, including tighter
> customs. If you get unlucky HM Customs can seize what they suspect is
> pirated material - one of my mates had £120 worth of pirate
> DVD's seized by Customs two weeks ago and he's been told they will be
> destroyed. First time I've heard of it happening but...

Heh. But Bell, in the Xbox forum, you tried to claim that your version of Doom 3 MUST be legitimate because you bought it from ebay. Now it seems you're admitting that you told a porkie pie and that you knowingly get pirated versions of games, whether via download or via ebay.

> Well whoever is making them can produce loads of them, with uptodate
> titles, proper printing, and sell them worldwide. If you have that
> amount of legal finance then you'd run a legal business, but this is
> illegal business on a massive scale. You can't put the profits
> through normal accounts because then you pay tax, and then someone
> wants to know where the monet comes from and you don't show the tax
> people around your illegal DVD business do you? Maybe not terrorism,
> but I'd bet some of the cash is going to something illegal.

Probably; so how does it feel to know that you, voice of all that is good and pure and true (so long as it doesn't differ with what you already think) have contributed money to a criminal syndicate?

Of course, since you've jammed your mittens over your ears to say "Lalalalala, I'm not listening", it hardly matters. But it'll be nice for everyone else to read about what a hypocrite you're being, won't it?
Wed 25/08/04 at 11:51
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
"Special Asian Edition" = Pirate

They take the US region 1 version, copy it and the packaging, resell. A new tactic some sellers are trying is to say the DVDs are region 1, when they are in fact multiregion. Asian DVD's should be R2 or R3, if they aren't, and it's not some obscure release, then it's a copy. I've seen the CSI Miami Asian Edition and it is very very poor - DVD's look like VHS quality and some episodes do not even play at all, others skip. The discs are burned at really high speeds on lowest quality discs (maximise profit), hence why they are crap.

A very small number of titles on eBay are genuine when they are sourced from Asian sellers, and inceasingly UK/US sellers 'cause people buy them to resell.

Film companies in the US and UK have both recently warned eBay to clean up it's act, and the government has signalled it will be really cracking down on pirate copies pretty soon, including tighter customs. If you get unlucky HM Customs can seize what they suspect is pirated material - one of my mates had £120 worth of pirate DVD's seized by Customs two weeks ago and he's been told they will be destroyed. First time I've heard of it happening but...

monkey_man wrote:
> You're supporting terrorism!!!!11111163879120498

Well whoever is making them can produce loads of them, with uptodate titles, proper printing, and sell them worldwide. If you have that amount of legal finance then you'd run a legal business, but this is illegal business on a massive scale. You can't put the profits through normal accounts because then you pay tax, and then someone wants to know where the monet comes from and you don't show the tax people around your illegal DVD business do you? Maybe not terrorism, but I'd bet some of the cash is going to something illegal.
Tue 24/08/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Teal'c"
It looks stupid along with my English versions of Series 2, 5 and 6, I agree, but I'm a pauper. I can barely afford to shine my shoes, let alone pay full price for all of my geeky treasures.
Tue 24/08/04 at 17:07
Regular
Jonathan Nash wrote:
> I got Deep Space Nine Series 7 Asian version from ebay and paid about
> £20 inc P&P. It was genuine, I just had to make sure I set
> it to "English" when I started the DVD.
I would buy the Star Trek ones but I already have some of the UK versions, and it'd just look stupid with half Asian digipaks and half the UK uber cool LCARS boxes.
Tue 24/08/04 at 16:23
Regular
The guy just emailed me back and said that they are definitely authentic DVD's. He was referring to the Simpsons Box Set though, so I can't vouch for the others.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.