GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I cant be bothered searching for a similiar topic...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/08/04 at 00:56
Regular
~How Much Can You Make Off A Web-Site?~

Please answer, if you have any knowledge of what i am going on about. I have been asked to make a site for someone, well its kinda of a deal:

I have made a few Programs that i want to release, and a friends brother has a Domain that he never uses and has given it to me. He says i can make a site about anything i want as long as he can place a couple of ad's on the site. So fair enough, i get a free domain (Im Skint), i am sorting out hosting - and polishing my programs off.

But how much will this guy make off this site?

Thanks,
James
Mon 23/08/04 at 18:19
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Google are super strict with their adverts though, my sites were all turned down because of 'adult content.'

I signed up with an affilate service where I can advertise certain companies and if any sales are made I get a percentage.

I decided SR would be a good choice seeing as they sell mainly games. I get 5% of all sales that come from my site, the cookie lasts 30 days too so anything else they buy I get commission from.

I've only had 1 sale in a month, but it was pretty good, I got £5.63 off of it.

Clicks to sales ratio is pathetic however, I've had 469 clicks this month, 211,340 impressions yet no sales!

SR charge £4 per 1000 impressions, (wonder why nobody ever takes up that offer!?) If I were to charge that I would have made £844+ so far this month, I could live on that!

Anyway, back to the point. If you're making a freebie site you'll never get anything. Google won't accept you and you'll never get any visitors to justify anything else.

EDIT:

Just got another £4 from selling one of those random CDs on my site, that's a whopping £16 now!
Mon 23/08/04 at 17:59
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
oh, google adsense,
you know all those google ads that you see all over the place on nearly any site that wants to make money, well the idea of that is;

you sign up if they think your good enough, every time somebody clicks your ad it goes though google and send them to somebody who advertises with google on a pay per click basis, so google makes money because every time you click that ad the advertiser pays, now a large amount of the money the advertiser pays goes to google, i haven't looked on google recently but i think its something like 1p per click i'm not sure, i don't know the percentages but you get a percentage of it, if you imagine how many people click them ads... *rubs hands*.

also you can set up a shop at cafepress.com or summit, all you do is send the company pictures of what you want on your product, they supply them and give you the amount you stated and they keep the amount they state, you can make alot of money there.

plus theres other advertisers and stuff.
Mon 23/08/04 at 17:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You can use Google Adsense to make a lot of money if your website is generating the required traffic.
Mon 23/08/04 at 17:35
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
I'm afraid, charity starts at home, anyone wanna donate? i take paypal donations?? no?? why not??
Mon 23/08/04 at 17:12
Regular
My applications are just little 'Projects' and they will be free to download, i just thought of placing a few Ad's on the site.
Mon 23/08/04 at 16:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've always wanted to use my web powers for good, instead of evil. I had an idea last year to make a site where user's could upload their own music tracks, then sell them in return for contributions to the charity of their choice. I'd still like to do that, but Oxfam have their own service, so I don't want my house trashed and knees caved in by 'The Boys'. Shame it wasn't Scope, or I could have said "I've got the Spastics after me".

But my latest idea is a charity web design service. Basically, if a charitable organisation wanted a site built, they could set up an account, make people aware, and once enough donations had been received to cover the design, overheads, etc., the site could be built, with any left over money going back to the charity. Good idea, but it would a lot of effort.
Mon 23/08/04 at 15:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
What about that bloke that made millions from spam mail. I still don't understand that, but Ebay auctioned his Porsche online which is just the most ironic justice ever since the bloke that invented sliced bread got the guillotine.
Mon 23/08/04 at 10:24
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
a) Unless your interesting, nothing
b) If you look like a bunch of untrained monleys with a pooter, nothing
c) Unless your Applicatios conform to certain standards, nothing
d) Unless you have a proper licence etc covering liability, nothing
e) If your apps are open source, nothing

There is no "easy" way to make money online, and even if yo manage it, it wont be much unless your a well established name. Amazon didn't go into profit until last year which will give you a roughidea on howlong it takes to get anywhere.
Mon 23/08/04 at 01:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you're interesting, you can make money. If you're not, you're boned.

So ask yourself, is your site interesting?
Mon 23/08/04 at 00:56
Regular
~How Much Can You Make Off A Web-Site?~

Please answer, if you have any knowledge of what i am going on about. I have been asked to make a site for someone, well its kinda of a deal:

I have made a few Programs that i want to release, and a friends brother has a Domain that he never uses and has given it to me. He says i can make a site about anything i want as long as he can place a couple of ad's on the site. So fair enough, i get a free domain (Im Skint), i am sorting out hosting - and polishing my programs off.

But how much will this guy make off this site?

Thanks,
James

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.