GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Trogan Horse Dialer"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/08/04 at 15:37
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Ok... so I've got one of these and every now and then it'll start dialing up to some number, to which I usually turn off the PC asap. What I really need to know are what are the consequences of a dialer (i.e. cost, damage to computer etc.), how I can track the dialer down and any programs that can deal with the problem.

Thanks for your time.

Forest Fan
Thu 09/09/04 at 14:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> Since ive installed Sp2 ive just noticed that the windows loading
> screen doesnt say windows xp pro anymore, just windows xp. Should
> that happen?

Yeap, the screen is the same across all versions now. Windows XP and Blue Bar.
Thu 09/09/04 at 13:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Since ive installed Sp2 ive just noticed that the windows loading screen doesnt say windows xp pro anymore, just windows xp. Should that happen?
Thu 09/09/04 at 09:54
Regular
"NULL"
I've got 2 Samsung S-ATA 160GB drives in a RAID 1 array - I wanted the mirroring because I've had a couple of major problems with the hard drives and I can't be bothered to send them back.
Thu 09/09/04 at 09:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> How do you get it to go from power to login so fast? From login to
> desktop takes me about 10 seconds, but it must take at least 30 to
> get to the login. How do I speed up the initial bit?

Get yourself a copy of BootVis from M$. It's a boot diagnostic tool for XP which M$ created their 30sec benchmark. gives you a report on what's loading where and what you can do to speed things up.
Thu 09/09/04 at 08:03
Regular
"Trogan Horse". Heh.
Thu 09/09/04 at 07:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nono, you want a PAIR of Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration :-)
Thu 09/09/04 at 02:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
IF you want fast either get a raptor or SCSI drive.
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It depends on your HDD access speed and what you're loading on bootup. A fresh XP install will get to the desktop about 10 seconds after the BIOS loads the OS, but a few device drivers later and that goes quickly upwards.
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:13
Regular
"NULL"
How do you get it to go from power to login so fast? From login to desktop takes me about 10 seconds, but it must take at least 30 to get to the login. How do I speed up the initial bit?
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Those screens are only for computers which do not support (or have misconfigured) ACPI power off settings. I've seen them on XP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.