GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dual-layer DVDR"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/08/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Yes you are"
Just bought myself a brand new OEM Pioneer DVR-108 for £60.

I've seen DL discs for £3.98 each - anyone know of anywhere doing them cheaper?
Sat 21/08/04 at 14:06
Regular
"Yes you are"
Just bought myself a brand new OEM Pioneer DVR-108 for £60.

I've seen DL discs for £3.98 each - anyone know of anywhere doing them cheaper?
Sat 21/08/04 at 14:51
Regular
Well, youve got yourself cheap DL disks as it is, I doubt you'll find them cheaper.

Still, no point in DL since 2 single layer disks are cheaper and the 8x speed disks are only just kinda coming out.

*laughs at everyone who thinks theyre cool with DL writers*
Sat 21/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"Yes you are"
You can laugh all you like. It's not a question of being 'cool', it's a question of convenience.

FYI, I don't actually have any DL discs at the moment, but I did buy 100 single-layer discs with the drive.

At under £60 the drive was a bargain, and at least I have the choice of which discs to use. I'm not forced to use DL discs, but am still ready for 'the future' and can back up my DVD collection properly and without losing any quality. Better to pay £4 for a blank DL than another £13 for a new copy of a damaged disc!

As I said, 'coolness' is irrelevant. And even if it was relevant, would I care what a gumby like you thought? Probably not.
Sat 21/08/04 at 15:01
Regular
Im kidding, you tard.
Sat 21/08/04 at 15:07
Regular
"Yes you are"
Well maybe you should make it clearer then, because it certainly doesn't read that way.
Sat 21/08/04 at 18:10
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
As long as i have dvd shrink, dual layer will be irrelevant.
Sat 21/08/04 at 21:03
Regular
"Yes you are"
I use DVD Shrink occasionally, but it's still not going to compare to an uncompressed copy - especially on longer films like LOTR.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Nice price for the DL discs, where are they at? Thinking of getting the 108 myself a I saw it on SVP for £60, still dont know whether to get it or the NEC one which is faster for CDRs.

DVD Shrink is good but I would much prefer to have a DVD untouched rather than compressed, or without the extras. Even with DL you would need to use DVD Shrink or some other program to rip the DVD.
Sun 22/08/04 at 00:11
Regular
"Yes you are"
The DL discs are at SVP as well. They're in the DVD+R section. They were £6.99 until a few days ago.

I got my 108 from SVP. I also toyed with the idea of the NEC drive for the very same reason as you. But then I've always had Pioneer drives and found them to be extremely reliable, so I stuck with them.

I figured that the difference between 32x and 48x CD writing was going to be small enough to be irrelevant. My current 105 (I haven't actually fitted the 108 yet) writes CDs quick enough, and that's only at 16x... so I wasn't too bothered.
Sun 22/08/04 at 10:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yeah looked on SVP this morning. Pioneer have the rep for their DVD writers so would probably go with that one. Would like the discs to come down more as currently I have a Sony U10-A and I use 4x -R discs which are £4 for 25, so £4 for one disc is not good. Will get one in a few months when I get a job and got some income coming in, by then the discs should be cheaper.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.