GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC9 - Cacophony"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/04 at 20:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Damn.

The air is cold. So very cold. It's an ancient night out here. Space is clutching at my fingers, a swift touch of something larger than the huge world before my eyes, stretching for ever until it disappears behind my more immediate concerns - the little time I have left.

So, I turn slowly in my head, all the while losing control faster than I've ever done before. I can't help but feel slightly amused - if this is a way to go, then what a way. I've always, always thought that there was something so beautiful about the sky, about the way it meets the horizon, the way the clouds just swam over the world, far, far away and rearing so high. Now, it's more beautiful than ever, simply because it's so sharp, so real, so crisp. And so very damn cold. The Great Gig In The Sky.

If the glow from above could seep through, what a find it would be

The suit I'm wearing isn't much use. I can't find the pockets because it's too tight around my legs. Silly things. Before I left the house I put my phone in there somewhere. I think I dropped it somewhere further back on, higher up. Before I left I remember putting my hand on my door, feeling the wood and the varnish - reality itself, the very realness of the world. I remember feeling slightly intoxicated with it all, despite all the crap that I've had. Boo-hoo, big deal. Some things remind you of the the sheer wonder of the world, the actual fact that you exist in a world far larger than you, full of hate and destruction, yes. But what are they? Human, for the most part. The world itself is far byond us, I reckon. We're just some arrogant little specks making arrogant little obnoxious judgements like this one right now. It's cold. The rest of the world is untouchable.

The air feels wonderful now. I'm beginning to turn a little less now, I think I've got this method of travel sorted.now. It'd be nice to do it again some time. Hah. If only. Regrets? I guess so. Too late to regret - even then, what are said regrets when facing such a thing as this?

Tell me there's no other one, Jesus was an only son, tell me I'm the chosen one. We all want it don't we? A piece of the game, a feeling we're worth more than 'that'. Some things make you think otherwise. Other times you get angry at how you're constantly told you need to be Jesus. Or a 'shelebrity'. 'You pair of fu**in' bastads ya!!'. So very funny. The stars are incredible. Is that a bird? Probably a wisp of cloud. Wispy.

So I carry on. Not much else to do really. It's getting faster now, I think. All this takes so little time really. I wonder if God's up there somewhere? He's right royally screwed me over right at this moment. And the night she fell, and the air was beautiful, the night she fell, all around. The night is falling, there's a glow, I just noticed. I'm also getting warmer. Hoorah. Really is a terrific view around these parts.

Whoosh, haha, fog. Well, kind of. I'm going slightly mad. I'm inside a cloud. With your tears scattered around the world. Rain rain, go away. My Fair Lady. Out again now, and now the stars are half gone. Damn. I'm scared. I've always watched clouds from where-ever. Always wished I could walk on them. I'm scared now.

I'm really, really scared. This isn't fair at all. Why the hell were mistakes made - cords failing?!! Why? Why me? Boo-hoo I said. Sometimes problems are more than just a shrug. God damn God. Fu**ing hell I'm scared. I'm nearer now. I feel afraid and I call your name........and the world spinning round for ever. Too true right now. Buckley never said a truer word. Just a few more seconds.

Now I'm lost. Not in a coma. No way, far to awake for anything. Far to aware of the events of the next few seconds. 'Just a few more seconds.....IT'S AWAY.....no, it didn't go in, just deflected off the surface'. 'Take that Darth Vader', said a Tom Clancy character. Jesus H Christ, I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die today, in a few miserable seconds. Ta-ta.

And our lives are forever changed, we will never be the same

I turn over one last time, and there beneath me is the sea, reaching to a crystalline shore of black clouds and the sun touching them with pink. The shores are waking up for another day, the world is slowly turning as I crash out of control from a star, a falling fool with no hope, a glimmer above the vast, vile, wonderful world. I see a boat in a cove, I see the clouds gloomily half covering the sky above me, I see the sun light fires in the sea, I see the trees carved on the edge of the world, I see the sky open up and let me go.

So very damn cold, but so infinitly beautiful.

I can't feel anything at all.

Today is the greatest day I've ever known

I'm dead.

I saw the world.

Out of fuel, it took me 20,000 feet to realise.
Mon 23/08/04 at 14:34
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think I was really in the right frame of mind for that. The bits in italics seemed to want to tell me more than I was taking in.
Sun 22/08/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Tasty word arrangement.
Sun 22/08/04 at 12:01
"Was UW."
I read one half yesterday and the other today. The story is original, and it's very good. Well done.

UW.
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:59
Regular
"SOUP!"
Hockey. Only an old yorkshire version.
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yes.

I'm wondering what 'stickball' is.

Sounds...........................

.....simple.
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Damn the metric system and damn 3am flights where im too sleepy to listen to the pilot.

You read my story chief?
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:49
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Yeah, I've flown at about 44,000 feet. It's nice when you reach way above the clouds and there's nothing but blue sky.
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Planes such as the SR71 Blackbird flew at 80,000 odd feet - the edge of space.

The guy in the story is falling from 'high sky' at night. Bit of artistic license with the space thing.

11,000ft is low (in my VAST experiance) - the planes I've been on have flown at 40,000ft, or around that....
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:43
Regular
"SOUP!"
I thought he was going up, not across.

Hmm.

I though I flew at like 11,000 feet when I went to Spain, so 20,000 would be untenable for an aircraft.

Bah what do I know.
Fri 20/08/04 at 22:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Paradox: wrote:
> The last line wasnt needed I didnt think, but for the stupider readers
> perhaps you need it.

> You could've dressed it up a bit with non-Bo-Selecta references,
> because the sort of person who goes into space doesnt have time for
> late night channel 4 telly,

Ironic, because he wasn't a space man. 20,000 is aircraft height.

;)

I dont assume. I feel it could've worked
> a bit better if you'd made the protagonist come across as cleverer
> then you could've gone to town with adjectives describing the view
> instead of the "its all so pwerdy" simpleton way you seemed
> to do it.

I guess so. I try not to over do it though - it's not exactly simpleton, but I take your point.

Thanks for the replies ye both.

+

Poor spelling is a symptom of Word not working and writing it in about 25 minutes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.