GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silent PC's"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/04 at 13:58
Regular
How many people here have silent PC's?

Well, I've just started my own last night by ordering this beauty.

[URL]http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15138#[/URL]

It's got lots of great reviews so hopefully it wont be a dissapointment.

I also ordered a quiet CPU fan and an extra quiet 120 mm case fan for extra coolness.

Anyway, after I've got it all installed it should be around 20 - 25 dBA's, however I was wondering how my WD 160 Gig and Radeon 9600 would effect the noise level. Would I have to mod them in some way to make them as quiet as the rest?
Wed 25/08/04 at 02:59
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Damarus wrote:
> How many people here have silent PC's?
>
> Well, I've just started my own last night by ordering this beauty.
>
> [URL]http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15138#[/URL]
>
> It's got lots of great reviews so hopefully it wont be a
> dissapointment.
>

Mine arrived today - it definately gets my thumbs up... I would recommend filling the extra 120mm fan fitting though...
Wed 25/08/04 at 00:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I welded a 120mm fan to my heatsink, so now I get high performance cooling without the associated noise. Result.
Tue 24/08/04 at 19:48
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
my whole pc bar 1 fan is silent all the time, i find if you get a few temprature controlled fans on non-essential parts of the computer they run slower and don't make so much noise, i'm buggered though because my cpu needs a good fan and i'm scared it would melt if i but a quieter one on.
Tue 24/08/04 at 18:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Silence in a case is something YOU engineer, in my opinion.
Tue 24/08/04 at 17:58
Regular
Ive used that case many times and i don't think it is really all that quiete, You would be better off getting a nice and silent shuttle, i hardly know mine is on unless i wack the fan speed up when doom 3'ing it.

Colin
Tue 24/08/04 at 16:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If an arctic cooler was fitted it would be ok.
Tue 24/08/04 at 15:40
Regular
"bit of a brain"
As long as you don't start overclocking that Radeon your PC shouldn't melt, I reckon.
Tue 24/08/04 at 15:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
DiG wrote:
> Watercooling requires fans anyway

Yes, but you can use a couple of silent 120mm ones.
Tue 24/08/04 at 15:33
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Watercooling requires fans anyway
Sun 22/08/04 at 23:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Mine used to be silent until the socket on my motherboard was moved.

To be honest, it depends what you want to do, and how badly you want your computer to be quiet. The most important thing is to get a decent PSU and harddrive though - these are very loud and difficult to replace if you buy the wrong ones. Other things like fans, well, they can be tweaked with a bit of money and ingenuity.

One thing that is a myth though, is that watercooling is required for a silent computer. I can assure you, it's not.

Oh unless you have a Prescott.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.