GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A victory for P2P"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/04 at 13:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Judges rule that the makers of peer-to-peer software are not responsible for what users do with their network.

Full story below.

[URL]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3582558.stm[/URL]
Fri 20/08/04 at 13:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Judges rule that the makers of peer-to-peer software are not responsible for what users do with their network.

Full story below.

[URL]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3582558.stm[/URL]
Fri 20/08/04 at 13:27
Regular
"Bicycle"
Booyah.
Fri 20/08/04 at 13:31
Regular
"the burning sky"
Plus it's getting harder and harder to tarck down individuals, since most P2P programs now have IP blockers etc...
Fri 20/08/04 at 16:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
But it's even easier to just buy the stuff you want in the first place...
Fri 20/08/04 at 17:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Not always.
Sat 21/08/04 at 15:38
Regular
"Yes you are"
Belldandy wrote:
> But it's even easier to just buy the stuff you want in the first
> place...

I'm sure most people would if high-street prices were fairer.

Any CD I think I want now, I get the tracks from services like Kazaa. If I like them, I buy the album from CD-WOW as I think £8.99 is a fair price.

But I absolutely refuse to buy at full price (usually £13 to £15 depending on the artist) in stores like HMV.

Then again, there are sometimes albums - or versions of albums (with extra tracks etc.) - that you can't buy here. And if you try to get an import, most stores charge prices which are even more of a rip-off than for standard albums. So downloading becomes the only practical way of getting them.

I was looking in HMV recently and saw a few soundtrack albums that I already have in my collection. I got legit copies online for £6.99... HMV still want £16.99 for them!

The industry shoots itself in the foot in those situations, and as far as I'm concerned only have their greed to blame for continued increases in piracy.

Some people will always want something for nothing, but many just object to extortionate prices. The industry always blame high prices on piracy, but that's just a cover story. The reason music sales are falling is that most of it isn't worth paying for in the first place... it has little to do with piracy.

If prices were dropped across the board by the music/film industries from Monday, piracy wouldn't be eliminated, but it would be greatly reduced.

On the flipside, if we woke up on Monday to global headlines that music/film piracy had somehow been eradicated overnight, do you really think that the prices would drop as a result?
Sun 22/08/04 at 12:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Or you could always use legitimate pay-for-download services...
Sun 22/08/04 at 12:51
Regular
Or you could not

Ahahahahaha

*gets coat*

Sorry.
Sun 22/08/04 at 12:53
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Stupid judge so much easier to download than make pirates with a vcr.
Sun 22/08/04 at 15:38
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Half the problem is for people like me, who don't have a credit card and are lazy, it's a hassle going out and getting a CD, or asking people if I can use theirs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.