GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A victory for P2P"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/04 at 13:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Judges rule that the makers of peer-to-peer software are not responsible for what users do with their network.

Full story below.

[URL]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3582558.stm[/URL]
Mon 23/08/04 at 16:34
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> Dringo likes to suck Fred off.
>
> Only $3 a month.

That offer goes out to anyone.
Sun 22/08/04 at 22:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Dringo likes to suck Fred off.

Only $3 a month.
Sun 22/08/04 at 22:54
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'll always buy albums I really like because I like to have the real thing.

I like it to find rare songs/one off songs by artists I like and to check out new bands to see if they're any good before I buy their album.

It's probably increased the amount I buy.
Sun 22/08/04 at 22:54
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> Or you could always use legitimate pay-for-download services...
>
> You could, but at an average of 99p per track, it would be cheaper to
> buy the CD for many albums!

Fred Durst of Limpbizkit once criticised this, claiming that a record company could charge $3 a month for legitmate unlimited downloads and see a massive increase in its earnings. 99p a song is totally ridiculours more like £3 a month. Fred believes that charging PER SONG is discouraging people to buy the album, they've essentially bought their album by downloading it. If it was like £3 a month and people downloaded loads and loads of songs some people may like what they hear and buy the album and paying for unlimited downloads a month doesn't feel like you're buying a downloadable album. Paying for individual albums and songs is essentially buying an album off the net, paying to download whatever you want doesn't feel like that.
Sun 22/08/04 at 22:50
Regular
Foszy wrote:

>
> Yeh but they probably would overall lose money, plus its more work
> for them as in doing concerts(must be fun work mind). Do they charge
> for the person to download the song? Or is it free? Plus it wont help
> them in the charts which can help when it comes to promoting
> themselves.

They see it as in "they'll download it anyway might as well do it from us... at least that way we can contact them"...

Downloading doesn't take such a massive dent in artists. The thing there are hundreds of bands out there I'm not REALLY interested in, I download some of their stuff (a.k.a Metallica, Papa Roach) but I'd never buy an album. Although they get no sales they do get an extra listener... lets say though that someone likes me also downloads stuff from a band they wouldn't normally support and they go "hang on they're good"... they (more often than not) may go out and get the Album... they could buy merchandise... go to their concerts...

It may damage record sales (only slightly mind, after all many people download and then buy and I mean many) but it will increase the bands popularity. And if they are a true band then all they'll really want is more people to hear their music. The internet allows this. Korn's album Untouchables was HEAVILY downloaded and did terrible in the charts... but Korn still sold out of big venues... work it out.

Also downloading really does help the little band. An unsigned group wanting to get their music out to the masses. Lets be honest Metallica are trying to crack down on downloading because what? They need more money? The biggest metal band in the world needs more money? Yeah whatever. What about a local band? Like my local band Let Down? They try desperatly for people to download their songs. Why? Because they want to create a fan base! They want to make it big and the internet helps.

The only thing the net damages are bands that are already massive...

I dunno about you but if I was James Hetfield I'd happily take a small dent in earnings in order to help loads of young new bands make it in the industry.
Sun 22/08/04 at 20:40
"High polygon count"
gerrid wrote:
> Or you could always use legitimate pay-for-download services...

You could, but at an average of 99p per track, it would be cheaper to buy the CD for many albums!
Sun 22/08/04 at 17:25
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dringo wrote:
> I download songs I like.
>
> Artists release individual songs to attract punters... now much of
> the time I won't get an album based on one song so I download more.
>
> Offspring had the right idea when they decided to have some of their
> singles and B-sides downloadable from the website... argueing with
> the record company over it. Offspring believed people would download
> anyway so why don't they offer the service and take their e-mail
> addresses so they can update the fans when they announce a tour
> etc...
>
> This way they get better ticket sales.

Yeh but they probably would overall lose money, plus its more work for them as in doing concerts(must be fun work mind). Do they charge for the person to download the song? Or is it free? Plus it wont help them in the charts which can help when it comes to promoting themselves.
Sun 22/08/04 at 16:45
Regular
I download songs I like.

Artists release individual songs to attract punters... now much of the time I won't get an album based on one song so I download more.

Offspring had the right idea when they decided to have some of their singles and B-sides downloadable from the website... argueing with the record company over it. Offspring believed people would download anyway so why don't they offer the service and take their e-mail addresses so they can update the fans when they announce a tour etc...

This way they get better ticket sales.
Sun 22/08/04 at 15:38
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Half the problem is for people like me, who don't have a credit card and are lazy, it's a hassle going out and getting a CD, or asking people if I can use theirs.
Sun 22/08/04 at 12:53
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Stupid judge so much easier to download than make pirates with a vcr.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.