GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help me upgrade my PC!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/08/04 at 21:43
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Due to the now imminent desire to play Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 at a decent quality, I've decided my computer is in need of an upgrade. However I'm not very clued up about how to go about it. Please help!

At the moment I am running...

Windows XP SP 1
AMD AThlon 1.4Ghz
256MB DDR SDRAM
Geforce 2 MX 400

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM, Graphics Card and Processor. Not sure how feasible a processor upgrade is but if anyone can suggest any products and links to somewhere I can buy them, much appreciated!
Mon 23/08/04 at 02:06
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Thats about 65 Cd's. I wouldnt fancy doing it.
Thu 19/08/04 at 20:30
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Just burn the fills to a cd and transfer, easy!
Thu 19/08/04 at 19:36
Regular
"keep your receipt"
It's a 50GB, so fitting it as a second hard drive is probably the best option. I'll talk to my pc builder dude and let him know.

Thanks for you help!
Thu 19/08/04 at 14:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes it would be possible, although it is good practise to do a fresh install of Windows when you change motherboards. What sort of size is the hard drive? If it isn't that big, get a new one, fit the old one as a second hard drive and then you can copy everything you need off of it.
Thu 19/08/04 at 10:41
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Would it be possible to build a new machine and keep my current hard drive? I have alot of stuff I want to keep.

thanks for your help already!
Wed 18/08/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Damarus wrote:
> From those specs I suggest you build one from scratch.

Yeah I agree. Motherboard needs replacing for a start. A new case is always good and of course a decent PSU, dont go for a case+PSU package for £20 as your asking for trouble.

You could keep the CD drive, floppy, monitor etc. What you would need for sure is a new motherboard, new CPU, new RAM(dont use the current RAM at all) and new graphics card. New hard drive would be good as you could get a fast 160Gb drive for £60.

As the computing is old it might be good to build a new one from scratch and get all new parts. My friend has just spent just over £700 and got himself a very decent gaming machine that will suffice for the next range of games.
Wed 18/08/04 at 22:06
Regular
From those specs I suggest you build one from scratch. If you want a new proccesor, graphics card (at 8x AGP) and faster RAM the chances are you'll need a new motherboard. You'll be able to use your old cd-rom drives etc, although I would also buy a new case with a more powerful power supply included.

So it'll be pretty much a brand new unit.
Wed 18/08/04 at 21:43
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Due to the now imminent desire to play Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 at a decent quality, I've decided my computer is in need of an upgrade. However I'm not very clued up about how to go about it. Please help!

At the moment I am running...

Windows XP SP 1
AMD AThlon 1.4Ghz
256MB DDR SDRAM
Geforce 2 MX 400

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM, Graphics Card and Processor. Not sure how feasible a processor upgrade is but if anyone can suggest any products and links to somewhere I can buy them, much appreciated!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.