GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" Is Wembley to be replaced."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/05/01 at 20:28
Regular
It seems the F.A and the government have made a mistake of gash proportions by allowing Wembley stadium to be dismantled without having everything sorted for a new stadium .Being Scottish, it doesn`t really bother me but I have heard that the atmosphere from past internationals and F A cup games will not be equalled in the new stadium. They say there is`nt the money available for the original idea and maybe the stadium will be built on the basis that it is not exclusive to football. With the domestic Cup finals being held in Wales for the coming years it is obvious that Wembley stadium should have been kept running up until everything had been finalised.Politicians should keep out of football with their lack of knowledge and understanding of the game.
Tue 01/05/01 at 20:28
It seems the F.A and the government have made a mistake of gash proportions by allowing Wembley stadium to be dismantled without having everything sorted for a new stadium .Being Scottish, it doesn`t really bother me but I have heard that the atmosphere from past internationals and F A cup games will not be equalled in the new stadium. They say there is`nt the money available for the original idea and maybe the stadium will be built on the basis that it is not exclusive to football. With the domestic Cup finals being held in Wales for the coming years it is obvious that Wembley stadium should have been kept running up until everything had been finalised.Politicians should keep out of football with their lack of knowledge and understanding of the game.
Tue 01/05/01 at 21:16
Regular
"Whatever!"
Its an absolute disgrace!! The cup finals could quite easily have been played at Wembley this year, they didnt have to knock it down and the fact that they dont even know the finalised plans is just absurd. Whatever the new stadium will be like it just wouldnt match the old Wembley for atmosphere, nothing can!!
The thing I dont understand is why knock down an old stadium to build another with the same capacity?? Why not increase capacity to 150,000 and make it the biggest and best in the world!! Its not like they havent got the space and Im sure they will find some kind of finance to cover it!!
Tue 01/05/01 at 23:15
Regular
I think they didnt make it 150,000 because the infrastructure around wembley is sh!te.
Wed 02/05/01 at 07:22
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
There'll probably start a tax"The save wembley fund"damn politicians.
Wed 02/05/01 at 08:56
mattyboy wrote:
Whatever the new stadium will be like it just wouldnt match
> the old Wembley for atmosphere, nothing can!!

Have you ever suffered the Wembley experience? Apart from the nightmare of travelling to and from the ground, the facilities are dilapedated, legroom laughable with restricted views all over the place. I'd be happy never to return there!

I'm off to Cardiff on the 12th for the Cup Final and I'm hoping the new stadium lives up to my expectations.
Wed 02/05/01 at 18:41
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
There woz nothin wrong with the old wembley. It was much better than cardiff is now.
Wed 02/05/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive been to Wembley many times before and it must be said the facilities were generally poor and the traffic abysmal, but its the atmosphere that cant be beaten. Ive seen many matches where an 80,000 crowd were present and I have never experienced anything like it!!
I just cant help but think the new stadium will lack the sort of match day atmosphere the old stadium produced!!
Fri 04/05/01 at 01:33
Regular
Do we really need a national staduim? I mean look at Italy. Their team play all their internationals all over the country. But i suppose Italy have got Big stadiums all over the place.

Wheras in England we only got 3 that hold more than 50,000 aint it. Old trafford, St james park, and does the staduim of light hold 50 thou? not many big staduims hey? So the new wembley is really needed.
Fri 04/05/01 at 13:32
"High polygon count"
We should have a national stadium, and IMHO a national stadium should be in the national capital - London.

Whether or not it should be at Wembley I wouldn't like to say, because it can be a real pig to get to.

It is, however, a disgrace that the FA should expect the government (i.e. the taxpayer!) to fund the new stadium. There is more than enough money in the game for them to pay for it themselves; maybe each of the Premiership clubs should put up a few million each - or a certain percentage of their annual profit for the next few years.

On the subject of capacity, we will hopefully soon have one more stadium to hold more than 50,000 - Arsenal's new stadium, at 60,000. At least Arsenal are looking at improving the transport system around the Highbury/Islington area, which is something the FA failed to do with Wembley.
Fri 04/05/01 at 16:04
I disagree entirely. Our National stadium should be funded by the government (ie, us taxpayers). The stadium should be designed for use on any number of events (ie, football, rugby, athletics, olympics, concerts etc etc).

Why should football clubs foot the bill ?. Clubs are run as independant companies and they have enough expense in building their own stadia. Arsenal's new ground will cost in excess of £150m, why should they stump up more for a national stadium ?. By comparison - does the Government tell Ford Motors to foot the bill for road and motorway maintenance just because their in the business of selling cars ?.

If the new stadium was built to the original new Wembley plans it would be the envy of the sporting world. (Paying) fans from all over the world would want to visit. Whatsmore it would improve our chances of staging World Cups and Olympic games - which would generate untold millions for the country. Euro 96 saw thousands of foriegners visit this country - a world cup or olympics would be much much bigger.

Football is our national sport. The government has done nothing to assist for decades. The game is where it is today due to SkyTV and the money they injected. Next I suppose the government will be calling on SkyTV to foot the bill !!!.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.