GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you helping software piracy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/05/01 at 19:12
Regular
Whenever you watch a movie on TV, you often have a blank recordable tabe in the player with it on record. Some of you may not know this, but it is illegal! However too many people do it to stop it going on. If the police started raiding peoples houses in Britain, I doubt they'd find many without some program or movie taped.
However, if you started recording films to distribute to other people, you'd eventually get a knock on the door from a police officer who'd like to ask you a few questions about your recording.
And if you sold them, then chances are you'll have your machinery conviscated and have to pay heavy fines.

It's a bit stricter when it comes to computer software. Games used to be able to fit on a Floppy Disk and we're copied by lots of people onto others and given to their friends who then did the same and that continues. That's how Doom became the worlds best known game and is on more conputers in the world than any other game. However, this wasn't legal. Games companies tried to tackle this by giving out Shareware disks when you buy other games. These had a small part of the game, so you could still play it, but you'd have to pay for the rest of the game.
But games were still easily copied. And it wasn't just PC games! GAmes for other systems like the ZX Spectrum which ran on a tape system were just as easy to copy. And even they used the 5 inch floppydisks!

When software and hardware developers realised that data as well as music could be stored on compact disks, they used them to put games on. They were read only, and they cut down the problem. However, some games you could install straight onto your hard disk drive and then copy to floppy.

Another way to solve this problem was to only let the user install a part of the game, meaning that you'd still need the compact disk to play the games. This also helped the fight against Piracy.

However, the computer industry released CD-Rewritable drives. These were great for copying music CD's (Even though that is also illegal) but were actually designed to replace floppy disks instead so that you could store your text, sound and other homemade files. This backfired and this enabled software pirates to copy other CD's and even Playstation games!
Hardware experts even made it possible to connect games cartridges to computers which ment that games for Nintendo and Sega's systems could be copied to PC, and modified to work on PCs.

There are usually tell tale signs which are easily spotable when you're buying games and you think they may be illegal copies.

1. If any cartridge only games are on a CD, that is an illegal copy.

2. If games are being sold in the street and not in a proper shop, chances are that they are illegal copies.

3. If the readable part of the CD is shiny blue, green or any other colour that is different to the proper disks of that format then they are illegal copies.

4. If the design of the packaging looks fake, then chances are that it is an illegal copy.

However, especially on the last point, it's not always that easy to spot. Sometimes software pirates put a lot of effort into things and make them look just like the originals. If you ever have any doubts, definately phone the company who publsihed the game!

But it's not just certain people who are software pirates. It could be any of you who don't actually realise it!

If you haven't already guessed what this was coming to, then it's to late....

...I'm talking about ROMs and Emulators.

For those who don't know, an Emulator is a piece of hardware and/or software which enables you to play games for most formats on your PC's. Some are legal, in fact there is a website on the web where you can download a tapedrive designed to load ZX Spectrum games, but you've got to have the tapes to load them!
But there are emulators that are downloadable from websites which are illegal. These emulators can have different interfaces and run slightly different. And some people even charge for you to download them! However when you do download these, you are aiding software piracy.

Earlier on in this message, I mentioned hardware which enables some people to copy games from consoles onto the PC. That's what some people do and they convert them to be able to play them on these emulators. Now as you already know, copying games is illegal.

Now some people don't realise that when they download files off the internet, they are downloading a copy! The file still stays on the server, but is copied to your home computer. So that means, when you download Roms to your system, you are copying the games and therefore becoming software pirates!

A lot of you will disagree saying that the old NES and SNES and Megadrive games (as well as others) aren't sold anymore so it doesn't make any difference to the games companies, but you couldn't be more wrong! On the Gameboy advance there is already Mario Advance which is an improved version of Super Mario Bros 2. And there is Sonic Advance, which as far as I know is based on the Megadrive version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also on the Gameboy Color there is Super Mario Bros DX and Donkey Kong Country which are SNES classics. This means that when you download a ROM of the SNES, NES, Megadrive and other systems games, and copy those copies to give to your friends, you are actually disadvantaging yourselves! The developers put effort into making these games better for the new systems so those who didn't get chance to play them first time, have another chance on the new consoles. However their efforts are halfwaisted because once you've completed the Roms, why will you want to play the actual games? This means that prices start to rise to cover the costs, and this will continue to do so as software piracy continues.

So any of you who download Emulators and Roms onto their systems, make sure you realise you have just become a software pirate! You are breaking international laws and you should be prosecuted! In fact one person was in America and he was in his teenage years. He has been fined heavily and faces another sentance!

Please don't aid or become a software pirate! I'm asking this for all proffessional gamers sakes! It's even bad for the casual gamer who thinks he's paying more money just because the games on a cartridge, or because of chip shortages, or for other reasons.

STOP CRIME NOW!!!
Wed 02/05/01 at 19:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda
Wed 02/05/01 at 19:32
Regular
I think you're right, it's silly and illegal to copy software. You aren't helping the games industry, and then will probably wonder why some small companies go bankrupt. As well as this, you don't get a proper game, box and manual, and the copy might not work, or damage your machine, or whatever. Therefore, I can see no reason for copying software. Just win it here, or buy it cheap a year or two after release!
Wed 02/05/01 at 12:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Darkness_2K wrote:

If what you guys are saying
> is true, then the copying of anything you dont own, even if you own
> alegal copy of it, is illegal.

The majority of software licences allow for one backup of their software to be made...

So, you buy a music CD. You own
> it. But not whats on it? If you copy that CD, burn it onto MP3, or
> tape or record it onto minidisc, you are breaking the law?

You are allowed to make one backup of your Tapes/CD's... although your not allowed to let anyone else hear the music...

Although you've got to bear in the mind.. according to the law... it you purchase a video tape or DVD... the you are the only person who is allowed to watch the video... If your family, friends, etc... ever watch the vid then your immeadiatly breaking the law...

It all
> comes down to the napster level.

Dont forget Napster is in the American courts not the Engloish or Scotish courts...

Do back to backups. You buy a game in the
> shops. You own that game.

You cant 'own' any software.... all software is licensed to you... which is (supposedly) a very diffrent things...

I am not a law breaker (honest!) but some of
> these old laws should be changed to bring them up to date with
> todays world.

Most of these laws arnt old... However its hard to validate computer software...
Wed 02/05/01 at 12:47
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
This topic could be expanded to backing up data on your PC. Now, most PC experts will tell you to backup your data, back up your data and so on, but it is actually illegal?
If what you guys are saying is true, then the copying of anything you dont own, even if you own alegal copy of it, is illegal.

So, you buy a music CD. You own it. But not whats on it? If you copy that CD, burn it onto MP3, or tape or record it onto minidisc, you are breaking the law?

It all comes down to the napster level. The people that add to that exchange program, own a CD with the music on originally, then begin to allow others to 'borrow' it, but this is illegal. All about 'intellectual property'

Do back to backups. You buy a game in the shops. You own that game. You wish to make a copy of the CD, incase the original breaks. You are breaking the law. I think it should be legal unless you start to sell the games!

The same with your copy of MS Works, with your important documents on. You back it up, you break the law.

I am not a law breaker (honest!) but some of these old laws should be changed to bring them up to date with todays world.

Darkness
Wed 02/05/01 at 11:31
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
meka_dragon wrote:
> Well, er, I've got this friend, right, and he says that as he
> couldn't possibly buy some SMS or NES games in the shops anymore,
> then he isn't harming anyone by emulating them.

Bseides... even if you'd spent the last 5 years doing nothing else bar emulating...

and you decided to give it all up and turn yourself in...

You'd be ard pushed to find a policeman that understood what you were saying... and even more hard pushed to find out who cared! :)

Besides... how many compaines are going to be worried about prosicuting oer a game they no longer manufacture... its hardly losing them any money?
Wed 02/05/01 at 08:41
Regular
"not dead"
Well, er, I've got this friend, right, and he says that as he couldn't possibly buy some SMS or NES games in the shops anymore, then he isn't harming anyone by emulating them.

I'm inclined to agree with him, but of course would never illegally emulate software myself

;-)

In terms of Super Mario Bros 2 appearing on the GBA it isn't the same game. Yes it's very similar, but anyone buying a GBA would surely want this game for the fabulous multiplar game included?
Wed 02/05/01 at 00:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Most computer software is covered by individual licence agreements. They're generally all pretty similar, but essentially it comes down to the fact that you have been granted a temporary licence to use a product, rather than any ownership rights to either the CD or the software.

I've had several lectures on software laws... so if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy not to bother answering them ;)
Tue 01/05/01 at 22:00
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Although... having said that... The laws govering computer software are very hazy... there are little or no precidents surrounding most areas (in English or Scotish courts)...

Although companies tell us something is illegal, it doesnt mean it actually is, it just means the company doesnt want anyone to nab the stuff...

(At last taking Computing & Law actually pays off! :) )
Tue 01/05/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
The thing about piracy is it will always be with us. If people can get cheaper games they will. It's a big business. But sadly if it continues and everyone bought pirated games then companies would go bust and there would be no more good games.

Red Alert 2 for example I believe found a way of combating cd writers I read somewhere so home users couldn't copy them. So where companies do their bit we must do ours and try even if its that tempting DON'T use pirated goods.
Tue 01/05/01 at 21:30
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
Particularly on
> the PC, many software licences state that you are allowed to make
> ONE backup copy. If so, why do they copy-protect the CD?

Thats a good point man... given the gray area of computer software property law, software companies stopping someone form making a backup might be illegal?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.