GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Book Purchases, and others I read recently."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/08/04 at 16:07
Regular
I just thought I'd use up 5 minutes of my precious time to tell you what new books I've ordered. No I don't have a life outside these forums. Ordered :

One of Us - Michael Marshall Smith
The third book of his I will have read, after 'Spares' and 'Only Forward'. If there are any PKD fans out there, this stuff is gold - a lot of his stuff is even more twisted than the king of sci-fi fantasy.

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
One that sounded good, about the future when literature is against the law, and everyone watches television pretty much round the clock. Being intellectual is frowned upon as the governments try to sedate the entire population, and through TV and other mediums, give them the mental capacities of gerbils. Sound Familiar?

The Taking
The newest Dean Koontz spectacular. After the superb 'The Face' I was dying to get my hands on this new horror epic. Alledgedly it is as wide in scope as Stephen Kings 'The Stand'. Dean Koontz has come along way since I read his earlier novels. Perhaps a candidate for the top horror writer of our time IMO.

The Gods of Eden
A curious novel putting forward the theory that our governments and all those within are being controlled by higher forces - a shadow organisation manipulating all in the world like puppets, and being run by extra-terrestrials. Yes it's a bit far fetched, but I love the whole conspiracy theory thing, and it got a good review, so ....

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (S.F.Masterworks Series)
Another Philip K. Dick novel. One I'd never heard of, but is described as being one of his 3 key pieces of work. As usual it deals with the big issues of self perception, identity and of course the effects of drugs on those two things. You can expect the usual mind-bending futuristic fantasy world setting also, I'm sure.

-------------------------------------

Just read :

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick
The book that Blade Runner was based on, although it is quite a bit different in many ways. In truth I was a bit disappointed with it, it seemed a tad short, and the ending was rather abrupt. On the whole though I did enjoy it - it certainly paints a very bleak picture of a possible future, where everyone struggles to earn enough money to buy a real animal, and staying on earth means almost certain death.

If Chins Could Kill : Confessions of a B Movie Actor - Bruce Campbell
Never read a biography before, but the guy was a legend in the Evil Dead films, so I thought I'd give it a go. Enjoyed it quite a lot too, didn't get boring at any point as I remember, and it gives you an interesting insight into the film making world.

---------------------------------------

any books you have read recently that you care to comment on?
Sat 14/08/04 at 13:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Best Dean R Koontz book ever - Toys

I cried.
Fri 13/08/04 at 22:28
Regular
I nearly bought that, but in the end I decided my views on life are far too serious as it is.
Fri 13/08/04 at 18:46
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
I just bought Michael Moore's "Dude, where's my country?" Its really good, so funny considering how factual it is. I haven't read much of it, but it is good so far. I think he takes his views a little to far sometimes, but its a very entertaining read. Worth a look I'd say, only cost me £4
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:26
Regular
"Whatever!"
Just bought Ric Flair 'To be the Man' autobiography. Looking forward to reading it, should be good!
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:23
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I bought The Running Man from Amazon for the grand sum of 1p.
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:07
Regular
I just thought I'd use up 5 minutes of my precious time to tell you what new books I've ordered. No I don't have a life outside these forums. Ordered :

One of Us - Michael Marshall Smith
The third book of his I will have read, after 'Spares' and 'Only Forward'. If there are any PKD fans out there, this stuff is gold - a lot of his stuff is even more twisted than the king of sci-fi fantasy.

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
One that sounded good, about the future when literature is against the law, and everyone watches television pretty much round the clock. Being intellectual is frowned upon as the governments try to sedate the entire population, and through TV and other mediums, give them the mental capacities of gerbils. Sound Familiar?

The Taking
The newest Dean Koontz spectacular. After the superb 'The Face' I was dying to get my hands on this new horror epic. Alledgedly it is as wide in scope as Stephen Kings 'The Stand'. Dean Koontz has come along way since I read his earlier novels. Perhaps a candidate for the top horror writer of our time IMO.

The Gods of Eden
A curious novel putting forward the theory that our governments and all those within are being controlled by higher forces - a shadow organisation manipulating all in the world like puppets, and being run by extra-terrestrials. Yes it's a bit far fetched, but I love the whole conspiracy theory thing, and it got a good review, so ....

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (S.F.Masterworks Series)
Another Philip K. Dick novel. One I'd never heard of, but is described as being one of his 3 key pieces of work. As usual it deals with the big issues of self perception, identity and of course the effects of drugs on those two things. You can expect the usual mind-bending futuristic fantasy world setting also, I'm sure.

-------------------------------------

Just read :

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick
The book that Blade Runner was based on, although it is quite a bit different in many ways. In truth I was a bit disappointed with it, it seemed a tad short, and the ending was rather abrupt. On the whole though I did enjoy it - it certainly paints a very bleak picture of a possible future, where everyone struggles to earn enough money to buy a real animal, and staying on earth means almost certain death.

If Chins Could Kill : Confessions of a B Movie Actor - Bruce Campbell
Never read a biography before, but the guy was a legend in the Evil Dead films, so I thought I'd give it a go. Enjoyed it quite a lot too, didn't get boring at any point as I remember, and it gives you an interesting insight into the film making world.

---------------------------------------

any books you have read recently that you care to comment on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.