GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Olympics - Who Cares??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Now i've been away for a few days and during that time been watching the fuss made over the Olympics on the BBC (but then seeing as that's the only thing that Sky or ITV haven't bought from under them apart from the extreme tiddlywinks championships it's hardly surprising) and the muppets that they've got as pundits there calling it the be all and end all of sporting events and something all atheletes and sportsmen want to be a part of.

Now sorry but what? I've never heard such rubbish since Sepp Blatter last opened his mouth. Where this might be true for the athletes (you know those lot who run a bit, jump in sand or jump over bars and such) as far as the sports go this is utter tripe. Most of the American basketballers couldn't even be bothered to go to Athens deciding that (quite rightly) the NBA season is far more important. I don't see Thierry Henry banging the door down on the french managers door to be let into the Olympics team because it's the most important thing in the world either. Most of the sports events are littered with young talent as a trial for the countries managers to give them a bit of experience and a taste of life at the top. I don't see the football littered with the all star names in the sport so exactly how is it 'the most important thing each athelete aspires to*?

Now the Olympics to me has always been about the athelets, bit of 100M is always exciting and nothing like seeing a nice young spanish lady in a skin tight lycra suit for the swimming, so why they decided to introduce all these sports into it as well such as the ones i've already talked about is beyond me (obviously just trying to milk more money out of tv revenue) the main players obviously don't care about it and would much rather concentrate on the upcoming seasons in their respective sports seeing as hardly any of them are in Athens at the moment. I'm sure if you asked any of them what would they rather have, a gold medal or a World Cup winners medal the World Cup would win out the majority of the time. So i have no idea where these twits at the BBC get the idea from that it's everybody's dream to win a medal. While this may be true for the minority sports and the athelets as far as the bigger sports go i'm sure they'd say themselves they'd much rather have a Wimbledon trophy, NBA playoff ring or World Cup Winners medal in their cabinet at home.
Fri 13/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Now i've been away for a few days and during that time been watching the fuss made over the Olympics on the BBC (but then seeing as that's the only thing that Sky or ITV haven't bought from under them apart from the extreme tiddlywinks championships it's hardly surprising) and the muppets that they've got as pundits there calling it the be all and end all of sporting events and something all atheletes and sportsmen want to be a part of.

Now sorry but what? I've never heard such rubbish since Sepp Blatter last opened his mouth. Where this might be true for the athletes (you know those lot who run a bit, jump in sand or jump over bars and such) as far as the sports go this is utter tripe. Most of the American basketballers couldn't even be bothered to go to Athens deciding that (quite rightly) the NBA season is far more important. I don't see Thierry Henry banging the door down on the french managers door to be let into the Olympics team because it's the most important thing in the world either. Most of the sports events are littered with young talent as a trial for the countries managers to give them a bit of experience and a taste of life at the top. I don't see the football littered with the all star names in the sport so exactly how is it 'the most important thing each athelete aspires to*?

Now the Olympics to me has always been about the athelets, bit of 100M is always exciting and nothing like seeing a nice young spanish lady in a skin tight lycra suit for the swimming, so why they decided to introduce all these sports into it as well such as the ones i've already talked about is beyond me (obviously just trying to milk more money out of tv revenue) the main players obviously don't care about it and would much rather concentrate on the upcoming seasons in their respective sports seeing as hardly any of them are in Athens at the moment. I'm sure if you asked any of them what would they rather have, a gold medal or a World Cup winners medal the World Cup would win out the majority of the time. So i have no idea where these twits at the BBC get the idea from that it's everybody's dream to win a medal. While this may be true for the minority sports and the athelets as far as the bigger sports go i'm sure they'd say themselves they'd much rather have a Wimbledon trophy, NBA playoff ring or World Cup Winners medal in their cabinet at home.
Fri 13/08/04 at 15:49
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I can't add anything else to this conversation, other than I agree with everything you've said :)
Fri 13/08/04 at 15:54
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Tenners in the mail :-D
Fri 13/08/04 at 15:57
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
=D

:P
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:01
Regular
"Yes you are"
I would have at least some interest, but Britain only ever win Gold medals in the sports that nobody gives a s**t about.

Sailing, shooting, curling...

Anything remotely interesting or energetic and we don't have a hope.

They've replaced the usual crap with 4-yearly crap is all.

Aunty Beeb has long been dead, and should've been buried years ago - she's just stinking up the airwaves now.
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Didn't take them long either to start on the drugs scandals, just pump them all full of nandrolone or whatever before the events and let them get on with it.

Although the Eurosport music that accompanied the news was a tad over the top, something you'd expect to find on a big murder mystery show.
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You mean the largest collection of sportsmen and women competing together is rubbish?

It's only 'rubbish' because the games that are overly saturated with money, like US sports and football here are ALWAYS on and ALWAYS take precedence, even when an event that started just slightly before anything else like football or basketball is on.

It might not mean much to you, but of course people care. Jesus christ, sport is a lot more than the big few games that everybody adores and worships to the point of obsession.
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
316 3055 wrote:
> I would have at least some interest, but Britain only ever win Gold
> medals in the sports that nobody gives a s**t about.
>
> Sailing, shooting, curling...

Ever heard of Paula Radcliffe, Johnathon Edwards, Kelly Holmes, Denise Lewis, Darren Campbell, Sally Gunnell etc. Forget it the list is endless.

These people will never get a Wimbledon trophy, NBA playoff ring or World Cup Winners medal. For them this is one of the highlights of their sporting calendar and they train hard to compete.

Some of the sporting events should be none starters at the Olympics but they keep letting them in. I just hope the latest push from the Darts committee does not succeed. That really would be a 'sport' too far.
Sat 14/08/04 at 15:20
"Was UW."
I watched the all the competitors come in. The only reason why was to hear the magnificent DJ Tiesto play all his brilliant tunes to the world.

*Bows down to Tiesto*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.