GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Media's Influence"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/04 at 10:52
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Just something I've been working on for a while now and when all this "Manhunt Murder" hit the front pages I thought I would finish it. It doesn't exactly go with the murder, but different forms of media.

The Media's Influence

The Archbishop is asking Christians to reject the ‘self-seeking’ life style typified by the hit ITV television series, Footballers’ Wives. But did the Archbishop really think that this series would have a major influence on people who watch it? This going to be like the argument, ‘Does Violence in Video Games Effect the Player?’ Well, a lot of Different people are going to view the program and play the games, different people, with different life styles and different types of personality. Different people that react to every day situations differently. We can easily relate both arguments in this way.

Honestly I can’t see people, whether they are Christian or not, taking a video game, or television program any further than watching it or playing it. If someone plays a particulary violent game or film it isn’t going to effect them in real life, they will watch or play it and move on. The only person that could be possibly effected by such programs and video games is a person without any ethics at all and no values, this person would obviously not understand right and wrong. You just don’t get people like this, whatever religion they are of, you are born with the concept of right and wrong and as you get older you get shown more examples of this and develop this skill further. It would take someone who was just born evil and surrounded by an evil environment to become so twisted that they think because of a game they can go around killing people and get away with it! Also different types of programming, such as Films and Soaps have a major influence on this. If you have a program like “Footballers’ Wives” it isn’t going to really have any affect on your future or present day life, you just watch it and literally it goes in one ear and out the other. Although some parts of the program do stick with you, you would probably like to think that it would be ethical or moral decisions made by characters in the film, or just general ‘niceness’. Well I’m afraid it isn't like that, this is a major point we are missing in this whole argument and it may even just blow it out of the water in one. The fact is that everyone, even if they don’t like it, is going to remember the really gruesome, violent, nastiness and selfishness, in every single program they watch, everything else in the program just gets put away or washed out of your mind. This is where you are loosing vital parts of the whole argument. You can’t just look at certain parts of a soap or game and pull it out of context and slap it down in front of someone and say how terrible it is. You must firstly look at it in context and secondly look at the rest of the soap or game. You will then probably see why something terrible has happened in the first place and then you will probably see some moral or ethical issues appearing from the whole game or soap. I think what the Archbishop has done, before launching this statement, is not to look deep into other parts of the TV program, but has just taken certain parts out and has then said how bad it is. This is wrong because when you evaluate something like this you miss key points and real ethical issues that are there in real life and that is all what the program is showing, a look into real life. It isn't actually showing, normal every day lives of just normal people who carry out their usual routine in happiness or sadness. It is showing an incite into the lives of the rich and famous. As the producer says, “We’re offering a portal to a world of untold wealth and riches, but we show that it comes with a price, that it doesn’t buy happiness.” So even if the program doesn’t actually seem to show an immediate morality there is obviously a hidden one that has yet to be picked up on by some people, such as the Archbishop, Dr Williams. What Dr Williams is missing perhaps is the fact that when you look at this program, with all the famous rich people, having a good time of it all, you do kind of miss that these rich, wealthy people aren't having such a great time of it at all. A lot of the time when you become rich you have to work really hard to get there and it is likely that you will miss out what life has really got to offer. Relationships with a God, families and friends. Love towards these people and actually helping others around you and teaching them. But these people would actually miss out on these things. These things don’t require money or fame. They are free.

All that this program is trying to do is give the general public an incite into the highs, but more importantly the lows of having all the riches in the world. It will get them thinking about what is actually important without probably realising it as well. A key thing to remember though is that it is only a TV program and it isn't any sort of guide lines on the way you should lead your life. And I honestly doubt anyone finds this kind of life tempting in any way and wouldn’t like to lead such a life style. Something that the Archbishop has definitely and obviously has missed is the fact that this life style is shown by this program, but it also shows the consquences of leading such a life style. In every episode that is shown it deals with every day life things that happen to us, around us and even when we do it and the consquences of doing these actions. This very important as it shows to people that you cant get away with doing these actions. The every day life situations it shows include, sex, drugs, alcohol, racism, relationships and other things in life that we will all eventually see or be faced with. The most important thing to do though when a program shows such things is to show the consquences and it does it perfectly.

Can the media influence us so much? Of course like everything else in life the media also will influence our future, but some times we do just look the other way and ignore what's going on. The media rarely shows any good side to the news and this should probably be improved. If we see day after day of violence, murders and war scenes it is likely to have a negative affect on our lives, but this isn’t always the case, admittedly. Sometimes seeing such violence in the world can influence our lives for the better. When we are exposed to this we feel we must do something to help, we must unite as it is Our world and what we do, although we are only one person, does matter.

An excellent example of this is when, Tomb Raider star, Angelina Jolie felt she must really commit to the world and help it for the better.

Landmines are a major issue in the world and they cause terrible consequences, they kill and orphan many children everyday. Angelina first encountered the effects of landmines when filming Tomb Raider in Cambodia three years ago and decided she could help rid the world of this particular evil. When she was out there she encountered many devastating effects of the landmines around.

In March Jolie adopted Maddox from a Cambodian orphanage and US immigrations authorities allowed her to bring him to America in June. She believes that he may have lost his parents to landmines, but cant be sure, but it is likely as many children have been orphaned by mines. She is currently building a house in Cambodia as a home for Maddox. The land around the house had to be cleared of mines because of her fear that her son will be injured.

She has shown clear, unselfish, devotion to her son and hopefully her example will lead to others helping as much as they can for a better, safer world.

This example shows a celebrity role model doing the right thing and helping others. She is a form of media and she will have an effect on others around her, this should be positive. Footballers’ Wives shows Actors portraying rich, famous peoples lives, but not in such away of course, but it still is very important to show such a program to people. It is important because it is showing to people that a rich life can be terrible, money isn't everything and also it shows actions that people take in every day life and the consequences to these actions. Hopefully as also being just a TV show it will get an ethical moral across as well. The main thing to remember though is the fact that is only a TV program and it is only acting. I can’t see anyone actually living in such a life style and anyone actually getting influenced to live like this either. The program should be taken no further than something to watch on a TV. The real people behind the acting don’t live like this as Jolie has shown, they are real people with real morals and ethics with them through their lives.

Thanks for reading and it would be interesting to hear your opinions.
Tue 24/08/04 at 09:24
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
So basically you can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em?
Tue 17/08/04 at 08:16
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Forest Fan wrote:
>
> You'll learn to never trust the media (especially
> BBC) - in fact the only media I ever trust now is the Daily
> Telegraph. Most soaps are goverment oriantated - again I've heard
> Eastenders is largely decided upon the goverment, i.e. the themes of
> the storylines. TV's great, but sometimes it lies.

Although some media do get it wrong, I think in generall it's better to trust the majority of them especially if the same news is in 2 different papers. Just because it's the telegraph doesn't mean they get everything right, it basically goes on how well the information is gathered up. Some papers will use unconfirmed information to get a exclusive(in turn getting it wrong), others will wait untill they have more evidence before they puplish anything. But I think all papers get at least something wrong, but at the same time it's still better to use that information and decide for yourself (get a picture of there version)to see if it's true or not.
Tue 17/08/04 at 07:50
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I see what you are syaing, but still I don't think the people who are getting influenced by it really know they are until they carry out an action, good or bad. So these people wouldn't even need to know they were getting educated at the same time.
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:43
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Silent Thunder wrote:
> I suspose so, but surely even that is an influence on all of us: we
> are learning that certain things will misguide us and lie to us?

In theory yes, but unfortunately many people don't separate goverment propoganda (like political correctness) from education.
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:41
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I suspose so, but surely even that is an influence on all of us: we are learning that certain things will misguide us and lie to us?
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:04
Regular
Silent Thunder wrote:
> Hmm.. I'm sure everyone gets influenced by everything around them
> whether it be their parents or TV etc. and if you choose to ignore TV
> and its programs like the news surely you won't be exactly be
> prepared for real life. Like the news displays every day - good and
> bad.

Yup back to topic. You'll learn to never trust the media (especially BBC) - in fact the only media I ever trust now is the Daily Telegraph. Most soaps are goverment oriantated - again I've heard Eastenders is largely decided upon the goverment, i.e. the themes of the storylines. TV's great, but sometimes it lies.
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:01
Regular
Then why wasn't he warned!?
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:00
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Forest Fan wrote:
> EDIT: Or was it for what I said to Cub!st?

I'm guessing it was the Cub!st thing.

Anyway back on topic..
Mon 16/08/04 at 15:59
Regular
Silent Thunder wrote:
> Also would your warning happen to be for "Offensive
> behaviour"?

Don't have a clue. I haven't recieved any e-mail about the warning and to be fair; don't know what I would have done to have recieved it. Have I said something abusive? :P

EDIT: Or was it for what I said to Cub!st?

EDIT AGAIN: Seems maddmun has been warned too.
Mon 16/08/04 at 15:56
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Forest Fan wrote:
> Personally, my views are more decided through the
> people I meet than the TV I watch.

Hmm.. I'm sure everyone gets influenced by everything around them whether it be their parents or TV etc. and if you choose to ignore TV and its programs like the news surely you won't be exactly be prepared for real life. Like the news displays every day - good and bad.

Also would your warning happen to be for "Offensive behaviour"?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.