GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Checking - Graphics Card"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/04 at 12:41
"Majestic"
I've decided to upgrade my old computer as apposed to buying fresh. I've just upgraded my ram from 256 to 512 - and that’s made a big difference. I’ve also bought a new hard drive on the cheap – which seems to have made a difference too.

My old graphics card will scrape the minimum specs of the next wave of games - i want to upgrade it. The graphics card i have at the moment is AGP x 4, and the new cards are AGP x 8 -- Will my computer run an AGP x 8 even though the motherboard only supports AGP x 4?

Or am I getting confused here?
Wed 11/08/04 at 18:54
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yeah it'll work, but if it's old enough to only support 4x then it, cpu, ram speed etc may well be hindering the latest titles.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
AGP *4 will get you by, but the newer games will suffer.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:35
"Majestic"
Still, thats alright isnt it?

Once again Cookie Monster solves my problems.
Cheers bud.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If your motherboard only supports up to AGP *4 then an AGP *8 card will work, but only in AGP *4 mode.
Wed 11/08/04 at 12:41
"Majestic"
I've decided to upgrade my old computer as apposed to buying fresh. I've just upgraded my ram from 256 to 512 - and that’s made a big difference. I’ve also bought a new hard drive on the cheap – which seems to have made a difference too.

My old graphics card will scrape the minimum specs of the next wave of games - i want to upgrade it. The graphics card i have at the moment is AGP x 4, and the new cards are AGP x 8 -- Will my computer run an AGP x 8 even though the motherboard only supports AGP x 4?

Or am I getting confused here?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.