GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Being A Teenager Sucks - Can You Relate?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/04 at 08:41
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
I know what you’re all thinking. He’s just another kid writing his views on life, filling up his word count and all that. But I’m hoping lots of people can relate to this, as I think most people on this site are sort of my age (15, for those interested, of which there are probably very few).

I’m just going to talk about how much life can kick you in the teeth when you’re a teenager. My parents always say “you just wait until you grow up, then you’ll see how hard life is”, when I’m pretty sure I already know that life is often a pain in the neck, and I’m not even old enough to drink yet. I understand that people face problems throughout life, in all kinds of situations, but I, personally, have loads of problems. Not necessarily life-threatening ones, but things that bug me, and these things bug friends of mine too. I just thought that maybe they bug you as well.

Firstly, I will start with school. I know everyone moans about it, but I’m pretty sure everyone is grateful for it really. I know I am. But it can get too much, especially when people tell you it’s easy. Without blowing my own trumpet, I’m in top stream for a lot of my classes and took separate sciences at GSCE. This indicates that I find the “average” learning that people do easy. Which is untrue. “You’re a bright lad, you can handle all this work”. Maybe, but I would also like a life to run alongside my robotic working state. Going back to my parents comment, I would like to point out to them, and anyone else who feels the same way they do, that we have homework. Oh, and also, coursework… and exams. I have done 15 A3 sheets worth of Graphics coursework this summer, and I did a 7-page Physics piece yesterday. I still have Maths, Statistics, German AS and Music work to do! Now, if that isn’t hard, especially during a 15 year old’s summer holidays, I don’t know what is. What do you do? You come in at 5pm and you are completely finished. “Oh, it’s so nice to get off my feet”. I know how you feel, but I’m now sitting at the computer doing another 3 hours work. I think I’d rather be on my feet. It’s this time in my life that I truly feel my parents don’t know me. Maybe it’s that growing up thing that we do every so often.

My second point is that of freedom. I know everyone rants and raves about it all the time, how the whole of the West is sort of brought up on lies. But, I do worry about it, and I often read the news on the “Underground Action Alliance” and alike. I listen to bands such as Anti-Flag, Rage Against The Machine and Rise Against because not only is it very good, but also it has real meaning. Real life situations that people can relate to. I think this is really important for people my age, to grow up knowing that we can voice what we feel, even if it is not on a global matter – it could be something very simple really. Whilst I’m not going to go round burning the Union Jack or using a stuffed Tony Blair on November 5th just for a change, I still feel quite strongly about this point. All I can hope for is that by the time I’m officially an adult, Bush and Blair will be long gone. I hate lies, whether they come from politicians or from people I know. Which flows quite smoothly into my next point….

Girls. “You can’t live with them, you can’t live without them,” they say. So true and so painful it’s unreal. Why would God put anything so confusing on Earth? Yes I know, for love and reproduction and all that jazz. But…I don’t know what to type, it’s so frustrating. My worst experience was caused by my own naivety. At 14, I had a girlfriend, the best I’d ever had (without making her sound like a new game or something). She was gorgeous, funny, committed – everything you could possibly want from a girlfriend. Then, one day, she told me she loved me. Why did I believe her? Why? Can someone tell me? I told her I loved her too, but I think I was telling the truth – I think of her every night, and always wish I had her back. In the end she decided that she wanted a break, and after that I knew that there was no going back. Since we broke up I’ve told her twice more how I feel, but she seems to forget when I tell her, and we are good friends again the next time we meet. She has a new boyfriend now, so that’s her and I finished it would seem, unless somehow I get some good luck. Maybe it’s those annoying chain letters that I’ve never forwarded…

My last point is on judgement. Teenagers are always, especially in social areas, judged. People see groups of teenagers as threatening, and they feel uneasy around us? Why is this? We are as human as everyone else, and I for one have no intention of causing anyone any harm. It gets to me that people feel a little uncomfortable around my friends and I, as they have no need to. Sure, we are enjoying ourselves, but does that make the environment around us a hostile one? If anything it should do the opposite.
Also, why do groups of teenagers judge each other, categorising people? All I hear is “Goths” or “Grungers” or “Skaters” or “Townies”, and it’s really annoying. I wear sport clothing, similar to a townie maybe, but listen to Slipknot and Slayer amongst other things. Most of my better friends all enjoy skating. What does this make me? It makes me, ME. It’s like racism, only on a much smaller and less serious scale. It just becomes really tedious after a while; I don’t understand why people are like this.

Well I’m spent. I know not many of you will have bothered reading this, but those who have, thank you. It feels better to get all this off my chest. I understand that there are millions of people worse off than me in the world, but although we all have our materialistic things, I’m sure there are people in third world countries and alike who are in a much better state than some of us mentally. People in some countries get the food they need and have no worries. Can you imagine that? I would happily trade all that I have to guarantee my happiness.
Thank you for your time.
Wed 03/11/04 at 14:23
Regular
"Movie Maniac!!!"
Good thing im 9. Your piece of writing has got me prepared.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:43
Regular
*Highly Excitable* wrote:
> My last point is on judgement. Teenagers are always, especially in
> social areas, judged. People see groups of teenagers as threatening,
> and they feel uneasy around us? Why is this? We are as human as
> everyone else, and I for one have no intention of causing anyone any
> harm. It gets to me that people feel a little uncomfortable around my
> friends and I, as they have no need to. Sure, we are enjoying
> ourselves, but does that make the environment around us a hostile
> one? If anything it should do the opposite.

As a teenager myself, I often feel uneasy around people. I'm namely talking about groups of 10-or-so (I'm trying to think of a term other than "Chavs", but that's quite difficult) wearing gold chains, cycling around on bikes they should've thrown away 5 years ago and talking like a gangster, when they were really brought up in the richest part of town.

9 times out of 10, if I see a group of chavs, they'll say something about my appearance - either because I wear T-Shirts supporting my favourite bands, or because I wear glasses and am therefore a "geek". The last time I looked, a geek was someone who worked for the circus and bit the heads off of chickens, but there you go.

But I also see what you mean - it's not everyone. Our Head of Year said last year that they didn't want "mob rule" and basically dismissed it as anyone who hanged around in a big group of friends. I was quite offended, to be honest, because it'd've been better if she'd said that she didn't want "Chav rule", to be honest. We hang in groups because they're our peers and our friends, not because we're like SOME people, who want to rob you blind or beat the living crap out of you.

And I'm spent.
Sat 18/09/04 at 21:22
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Fozz wrote:
> Im getting scared
> because the UL universities see the Irish leaving Cert as 7 (or in my
> case, 8) A Levels but its really not.

No they don't.
They specify different entry requirements for different qualifications.

I have a Queen's (university in Belfast) prospectus sitting right in front of me and under entry requirements there are different sections for A-Levels and the Leaving Cert.

On another page there's an equivalency table for them too.
Thu 16/09/04 at 17:58
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
P.S. Great post exciteable.
Thu 16/09/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
I just drifted through the Irish Leaving Cert course (2 years long, similar level to the A Levels) I did 8 subjects and work for about 3. I got ok results and I got into a UK university. Im getting scared because the UL universities see the Irish leaving Cert as 7 (or in my case, 8) A Levels but its really not. I have sub-standard maths and physcics for a computer course. OH GOD!
Thu 12/08/04 at 02:38
Regular
You spent this long posting something on a forum? Hmm too long
Thu 12/08/04 at 01:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
It's hormones, adolscence blah blah etc

It sucks but you grow out of it into another kind
Thu 12/08/04 at 01:48
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
> And if you think GCSE's have a lot of work, there is more at A-level.

I agree with you there, i thought it couldn't get any harder then GCSE's (lol) but now after doing my first year of A-Levels I realise that doing GCSE's is extremely easy compared to the amount of work you have to do in higher education.
Wed 11/08/04 at 11:28
Regular
"I ush!"
Ashley wrote:
> no you can't work at the same rate on a tech project earlier. It just
> wouldn't be the same. you have to do it all in the last week as the
> pressure effect maximises the use of your time.

Ahh, that old chesnut.
I work better under pressure too.

[translate]
I only bother to work hard when I really really have to.

Speaking of which I've got a stack of papers to read, a 25,000 word report on what I've been doing for the last 10 months, and. . oh yeah, 10 months worth of work to write about too. hmm.
Wed 11/08/04 at 11:25
Regular
"I ush!"
*Highly Excitable* wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied, espescially to Simon Says. Cheers, you
> opened my eyes even wider. I appreciate it

Now I've just got that scene from Clockwork Orange in my head, except you're too young to have seen that ; )

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.