GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Illusions - A Short Story"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/08/04 at 16:17
Regular
Hope you enjoy it, its just a story that ive been working on, I tried to take something ordinary and show how it could all be overwhelming and frightening to a child, feel free to comment :)

I could hear the whirl of the engine beneath my feet as I sat in a seat in the eighth row. It was my usual journey alone on the large empty bus travelling home, leaning my head against the window watching the world go on around me. The journey was a long one for mine was the last stop and it always seemed what felt like an eternity before I was able to reach the comfort of home. It was the worst time of year. The joys of summer had ended and now it was the cold dark midst of winter. It was the usual winter feeling of it being dull inside and gloomy outside. Then suddenly the bus came to a halt and I awoke from my fatigued state. Quickly standing up I walked to the front of the bus and got off, the door closing behind me. The bus drove off into the distance like a glimmer of hope fading until gone. I was now in the outside world and darkness was closing in around me. I was alone, afraid and longing to get to the security of home.

I quickly crossed the road into the alley that led home. I had been told before not to take this route but nothing ever happened; I had been here many a time. I quickly walked down the alley my feet stepping in the puddles, echoing noises around me. Then the wind began to blow and the cold came crawling in. Suddenly the trees on one side of the alley caught my attention and as I walked. I could not stop looking deep into the trees watching my shadow slide along the trees as I moved – but was that my shadow?, am I that tall?, and wait that shadow had no bag on it’s shoulder. Darkness was still closing and I began to run run to the safety of home. It was only five minutes now. Nothing would happen. That person was probably just going home as I was. I’m almost there now. No I will be fine I tell myself, it’s just my imagination.

Wait now I hear something, a pounding getting louder and louder. Oh no my heartbeat I can hear my heartbeat but why? I am not afraid am I? – Darkness had now fallen. Fear now controlled me. My mind was rushing with thoughts. Thoughts on what could happen to me on what would happen to me. Oh why didn’t I take the longer route home along the main road, but then my mind was interrupted as I heard a noise coming from all around me, a rustling noise that seemed to be getting closer. Something was moving through the bushes. Something was watching me. I felt helpless. I felt like a lone dear that was being hunted by a starved lion. There were now more shadows all around me and the trees were swaying in the strong wind. I did not know what was real and what I was just imagining due to fear. Was this all in my head and brought on by it being winter and me being alone or was it real? I could not tell. Not wanting to stay and find out, I now ran as fast as I could home – the shadows close behind me.

Finally I could see my house. I ran up the stairs and scrambled for my key. Shaking, I pulled out my key from my coat pocket. I barely managed to fit the key in the lock. I turned the key and the door opened. I slammed the door closed and sighed in relief. Finally I was home and safe. Sanity slowly returned to me; but wait; darkness was still around me. I was alone in my house and my mother had not yet returned from work. I picked up the phone and dialled my mother’s work longing to hear her voice to soothe my nerves but there was no reply and fear began to control me again as looking around the house I could see nothing but darkness.

I opened the porch door and the stairs down to the laundry room were before me. I froze as I saw what looked like mysterious figures lurking downstairs – it would be easy enough for someone to get in. The laundry room window is quite big – no I told myself it’s only my imagination. I quickly went into the kitchen.

Closing the door behind me my eyes fix on something glowing from the corner of the room. What is it? I ask myself. No again it’s only an illusion for it was only the light on the television. I scrambled for the light switch hoping that the light would make it better and help to soothe my fear but it had no effect and darkness still engulfed me. Leaning back on the kitchen door I tried to calm myself. There’s nothing to worry about I told myself it’s only my mind playing tricks on me because I’m alone. My mother will be home soon and it will all stop, but how long would my mother be – it could be what seems like an eternity before she returns.

The wind outside grew stronger and echoed around the house. It bellowed down the chimney that it seemed almost like voices calling to one another, but was that wind? My mind began to wonder again. What if that really were voices? What if there were people downstairs? What if they had followed my home in the woods? The wind grew ever stronger and began to pound swaying trees against the side of the house. Then came the rain pounding down on the roof top harder and harder. I could not help but be frightened. I moved around the corner of the kitchen staring out of the window into darkness. Then my eyes focussed and I could see deep into the garden. Oh how different the garden was at night. I could see shadows in the garden moving quickly around, moving closer to the house and light I could see lights flash every known again. Was this an illusion I asked myself but I could not tell I did not know what reality was anymore. It could be the shadows of the trees swaying in the wind and simply the moon light but if so why were they moving closer? I truly could not tell. Only the image of how tranquil the garden looks in the daytime gave me the courage to move. I ran from the kitchen back into the corridor.

My mind was filled with a million thoughts as I walked down the corridor to the safety of my room. Yes in my room I would be safe. I will stay there until my mother returns; but to get to my room I must walk down the dark corridor. Slowly I began to walk – gaining confidence with every step. Firstly I came to the open door of the bathroom. This room was not so bad. I entered the bathroom. Looking around I could see the left out toothbrushes and comb. I looked all around the room and there was nothing my mind could use against me, but then I looked into the large bathroom mirror that hung on the wall. This mirror was opposite another mirror on the bathroom cabinet. As I gazed into it I could see a thousand little mirrors peering back at me along with a thousand other reflections of myself, but what was that other figure in the mirror? My mind had found something. Just then the wind began to howl down the fan in the bathroom and I ran back out into the corridor.

I was close to my room now. It was only a little further down the corridor but then I remembered something. I remembered not to look up but I could not help it. It was there staring down on me- the hatch to the loft of the house.

My mind began to immediately fill with thousands of thoughts of what could be lurking amongst the dark depths of the loft. There could be anything up there lurking around, watching me from above. Someone could easily be up there. Fear was controlling me now, the darkness still around me. I continued to my bedroom, slowly putting one foot down after another as I walked down the corridor. I could hear the floor boards’ creek beneath the weight of my body. I tried to calm myself and began to tell myself that it was just my imagination, but I began to wonder, how could I tell myself that it was just my imagination when I was not sure? It seemed so real.

Finally I was in my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and sighed in relief. It was not long now, my mother would return any minute now. I walked further into my bedroom but then my eyes fixed on a shadow on the wall. What was this? It looked like a hand moving in the wind from outside. Slowly I turned to the window and to my relief it was only a lone branch blowing furiously in the wind, but from the window in my bedroom I could see the same darkness of the garden as I had before in the kitchen. I ran to the window and drew the curtains. Sitting in my chair I again began to calm myself but my heart was still pounding, I was still afraid. I continued to calm myself by clearing my mind of thoughts. However the bedroom was perhaps the worst place I could be to soothe my nerves as I began to remember all the childhood horrors, such as the monster under the bed, something starring at you from the bottom of the bed and the seemingly inanimate objects scattered across the bedroom that when put together began to form heads with dark glowing eyes.

Just then I could hear the whirl of the motor for the garage doors beneath my feet as I sat on the chair in my bedroom. My mother had returned. I was no longer alone and my fear was slowly subsiding with every breaking moment. I ran downstairs to the garage, forgetting of the shadows I thought were lurking down there. I opened the garage door and saw the blinding headlights of my mother car before me. It was a glimmer of hope coming back to rescue me from my insanity.
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:26
Regular
Thanks:), yep i didnt know about the competiton and just missed it but will try for next time.
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:18
"period drama"
Nice atmosphere - nice story, in fact.
I hope you'll enter the next Short Story competition, and keep writing.
Wed 11/08/04 at 18:12
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I'm gunna read it, just give me time, and such...
Wed 11/08/04 at 17:31
"Majestic"
Why people are overlooking this is beyond me...
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:37
Regular
Thanks DiscoDexy im glad you liked it. Its my first story of that size. You got one of the main themes of how our eyes play tricks ion us with shadows :)
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:28
"Majestic"
What a great story Innuendo. They say a picture paints a thousand words; but this story painted a thousand pictures. I can just imagine that evening in the month of November; windy, dark and lonely. And trees casting shadows - you've hit lots of nails on the head.

Fantastic choice of words – I take my hat off to you.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:17
Regular
Hope you enjoy it, its just a story that ive been working on, I tried to take something ordinary and show how it could all be overwhelming and frightening to a child, feel free to comment :)

I could hear the whirl of the engine beneath my feet as I sat in a seat in the eighth row. It was my usual journey alone on the large empty bus travelling home, leaning my head against the window watching the world go on around me. The journey was a long one for mine was the last stop and it always seemed what felt like an eternity before I was able to reach the comfort of home. It was the worst time of year. The joys of summer had ended and now it was the cold dark midst of winter. It was the usual winter feeling of it being dull inside and gloomy outside. Then suddenly the bus came to a halt and I awoke from my fatigued state. Quickly standing up I walked to the front of the bus and got off, the door closing behind me. The bus drove off into the distance like a glimmer of hope fading until gone. I was now in the outside world and darkness was closing in around me. I was alone, afraid and longing to get to the security of home.

I quickly crossed the road into the alley that led home. I had been told before not to take this route but nothing ever happened; I had been here many a time. I quickly walked down the alley my feet stepping in the puddles, echoing noises around me. Then the wind began to blow and the cold came crawling in. Suddenly the trees on one side of the alley caught my attention and as I walked. I could not stop looking deep into the trees watching my shadow slide along the trees as I moved – but was that my shadow?, am I that tall?, and wait that shadow had no bag on it’s shoulder. Darkness was still closing and I began to run run to the safety of home. It was only five minutes now. Nothing would happen. That person was probably just going home as I was. I’m almost there now. No I will be fine I tell myself, it’s just my imagination.

Wait now I hear something, a pounding getting louder and louder. Oh no my heartbeat I can hear my heartbeat but why? I am not afraid am I? – Darkness had now fallen. Fear now controlled me. My mind was rushing with thoughts. Thoughts on what could happen to me on what would happen to me. Oh why didn’t I take the longer route home along the main road, but then my mind was interrupted as I heard a noise coming from all around me, a rustling noise that seemed to be getting closer. Something was moving through the bushes. Something was watching me. I felt helpless. I felt like a lone dear that was being hunted by a starved lion. There were now more shadows all around me and the trees were swaying in the strong wind. I did not know what was real and what I was just imagining due to fear. Was this all in my head and brought on by it being winter and me being alone or was it real? I could not tell. Not wanting to stay and find out, I now ran as fast as I could home – the shadows close behind me.

Finally I could see my house. I ran up the stairs and scrambled for my key. Shaking, I pulled out my key from my coat pocket. I barely managed to fit the key in the lock. I turned the key and the door opened. I slammed the door closed and sighed in relief. Finally I was home and safe. Sanity slowly returned to me; but wait; darkness was still around me. I was alone in my house and my mother had not yet returned from work. I picked up the phone and dialled my mother’s work longing to hear her voice to soothe my nerves but there was no reply and fear began to control me again as looking around the house I could see nothing but darkness.

I opened the porch door and the stairs down to the laundry room were before me. I froze as I saw what looked like mysterious figures lurking downstairs – it would be easy enough for someone to get in. The laundry room window is quite big – no I told myself it’s only my imagination. I quickly went into the kitchen.

Closing the door behind me my eyes fix on something glowing from the corner of the room. What is it? I ask myself. No again it’s only an illusion for it was only the light on the television. I scrambled for the light switch hoping that the light would make it better and help to soothe my fear but it had no effect and darkness still engulfed me. Leaning back on the kitchen door I tried to calm myself. There’s nothing to worry about I told myself it’s only my mind playing tricks on me because I’m alone. My mother will be home soon and it will all stop, but how long would my mother be – it could be what seems like an eternity before she returns.

The wind outside grew stronger and echoed around the house. It bellowed down the chimney that it seemed almost like voices calling to one another, but was that wind? My mind began to wonder again. What if that really were voices? What if there were people downstairs? What if they had followed my home in the woods? The wind grew ever stronger and began to pound swaying trees against the side of the house. Then came the rain pounding down on the roof top harder and harder. I could not help but be frightened. I moved around the corner of the kitchen staring out of the window into darkness. Then my eyes focussed and I could see deep into the garden. Oh how different the garden was at night. I could see shadows in the garden moving quickly around, moving closer to the house and light I could see lights flash every known again. Was this an illusion I asked myself but I could not tell I did not know what reality was anymore. It could be the shadows of the trees swaying in the wind and simply the moon light but if so why were they moving closer? I truly could not tell. Only the image of how tranquil the garden looks in the daytime gave me the courage to move. I ran from the kitchen back into the corridor.

My mind was filled with a million thoughts as I walked down the corridor to the safety of my room. Yes in my room I would be safe. I will stay there until my mother returns; but to get to my room I must walk down the dark corridor. Slowly I began to walk – gaining confidence with every step. Firstly I came to the open door of the bathroom. This room was not so bad. I entered the bathroom. Looking around I could see the left out toothbrushes and comb. I looked all around the room and there was nothing my mind could use against me, but then I looked into the large bathroom mirror that hung on the wall. This mirror was opposite another mirror on the bathroom cabinet. As I gazed into it I could see a thousand little mirrors peering back at me along with a thousand other reflections of myself, but what was that other figure in the mirror? My mind had found something. Just then the wind began to howl down the fan in the bathroom and I ran back out into the corridor.

I was close to my room now. It was only a little further down the corridor but then I remembered something. I remembered not to look up but I could not help it. It was there staring down on me- the hatch to the loft of the house.

My mind began to immediately fill with thousands of thoughts of what could be lurking amongst the dark depths of the loft. There could be anything up there lurking around, watching me from above. Someone could easily be up there. Fear was controlling me now, the darkness still around me. I continued to my bedroom, slowly putting one foot down after another as I walked down the corridor. I could hear the floor boards’ creek beneath the weight of my body. I tried to calm myself and began to tell myself that it was just my imagination, but I began to wonder, how could I tell myself that it was just my imagination when I was not sure? It seemed so real.

Finally I was in my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and sighed in relief. It was not long now, my mother would return any minute now. I walked further into my bedroom but then my eyes fixed on a shadow on the wall. What was this? It looked like a hand moving in the wind from outside. Slowly I turned to the window and to my relief it was only a lone branch blowing furiously in the wind, but from the window in my bedroom I could see the same darkness of the garden as I had before in the kitchen. I ran to the window and drew the curtains. Sitting in my chair I again began to calm myself but my heart was still pounding, I was still afraid. I continued to calm myself by clearing my mind of thoughts. However the bedroom was perhaps the worst place I could be to soothe my nerves as I began to remember all the childhood horrors, such as the monster under the bed, something starring at you from the bottom of the bed and the seemingly inanimate objects scattered across the bedroom that when put together began to form heads with dark glowing eyes.

Just then I could hear the whirl of the motor for the garage doors beneath my feet as I sat on the chair in my bedroom. My mother had returned. I was no longer alone and my fear was slowly subsiding with every breaking moment. I ran downstairs to the garage, forgetting of the shadows I thought were lurking down there. I opened the garage door and saw the blinding headlights of my mother car before me. It was a glimmer of hope coming back to rescue me from my insanity.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.