GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"64 Bit"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/08/04 at 11:35
Regular
Right, I'm upgrading my processor and what not soon and I was wondering whether or not it is worth while getting a 64 bit processor yet as no software seems to use it.

So what do you think, should I get an Athlon XP 32 it 3200+ or the rather expensive 64 bit version? How long until 64 bit will actually be used? Whens Longhorn arriving etc etc?

I'm prepared to upgrade to 64 bit in 2-3 years if I get the 32 bit now.

Basically, just tell me what I need to know. etc etc.
Mon 09/08/04 at 11:35
Regular
Right, I'm upgrading my processor and what not soon and I was wondering whether or not it is worth while getting a 64 bit processor yet as no software seems to use it.

So what do you think, should I get an Athlon XP 32 it 3200+ or the rather expensive 64 bit version? How long until 64 bit will actually be used? Whens Longhorn arriving etc etc?

I'm prepared to upgrade to 64 bit in 2-3 years if I get the 32 bit now.

Basically, just tell me what I need to know. etc etc.
Mon 09/08/04 at 11:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Depends on how much you want to speed and what your current system is. The XP3200 is the fastest that the XP will be released as in its 32Bit version, so if you want a AMD and a faster CPU you will need to go 64Bit. The 64Bit CPUs run normal 32Bit fine and are faster, the FX53 is the flagship CPU and that runs everything very fast compared to other CPUs.

No need at the moment to go 64Bit as the applications and OSs arent really available, but the 64Bit CPUs run 32Bit fine so it wouldnt hinder your computer. The thing is what speed you want as the 32Bit Athlon XP doesnt go any further than the XP3200 and if your current CPU is close to this spec you would want to upgrade to an even faster CPU.
Mon 09/08/04 at 11:57
Regular
I have a 2400 at the minute so the 3200 seems a resonable upgrade although admittedly I would rather have something hire, however the prices rise fairly steeply from the 3200+ 32 and 64 bit versions.
Mon 09/08/04 at 11:59
Regular
I'm also thinking, that by the time the 64 bit applications are released, the processors will be much cheaper and hopefully a fair bit faster.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:02
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Damarus wrote:
> I'm also thinking, that by the time the 64 bit applications are
> released, the processors will be much cheaper and hopefully a fair
> bit faster.

That's exactly what's putting me off. Always the way with top of the line models though, by the time you coul dbe said to /need/ them, they're a damn sight cheaper.

Oh, and I'm skint, that puts me off too.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Buy a cheaper chip and overclock it, as far as i know you can get a reasonable overclock from the majority of A64 processors.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:37
Regular
I have a 64bit processor thing, no idea what it does or anything... but its fast ;)

Anyone care to explain what the 64bit malarky is to me?

And nobody say "Its no use since theres no 64bit programs yet" - Photoshop CS is... but I dont know what the relevance is to 64bit stuff.
Mon 09/08/04 at 19:35
Regular
A computer article once said, "If you don't know what it means, then you probably won't need it." I think it applies here.
Mon 09/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
Nope, since I use Photoshop CS.

Id just like to know what its all about.

Nevermind, useless begger.
Tue 10/08/04 at 01:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
64bit is the future, no two ways about it. However this is a bit of a bad time for a computer upgrade, if you ask me. All the 32bit chips are too slow and all the 64bit chips are too expensive. 64bit is quick, but it's not amazing, it's just how things are I'm afraid. Really your solution to this problem would be a dual CPU motherboard. It might not be as expensive as you'd think. I don't know if Windows will properly handle multiple CPUs properly, but I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.