GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"64 Bit"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/08/04 at 11:35
Regular
Right, I'm upgrading my processor and what not soon and I was wondering whether or not it is worth while getting a 64 bit processor yet as no software seems to use it.

So what do you think, should I get an Athlon XP 32 it 3200+ or the rather expensive 64 bit version? How long until 64 bit will actually be used? Whens Longhorn arriving etc etc?

I'm prepared to upgrade to 64 bit in 2-3 years if I get the 32 bit now.

Basically, just tell me what I need to know. etc etc.
Thu 12/08/04 at 11:48
Regular
Thankyou Biggles. If this is true, I think I'll get a 64 bit.
Wed 11/08/04 at 22:36
"I love yo... lamp."
What I think is worth mentioning is that equivalent speed 64's outperform XPs by around 20% according to various benchmarks.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:24
Regular
Yeh, I know upgrading seems like a waste at the moment, however most of the older parts will be used to create a new PC anyway so there is no big loss.
Tue 10/08/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This computer's due for a major upgrade soon, I'm going for SATA RAID 0, dual gig of 400+mhz and tight timings, a Macron BluePower PSU and probably a new case along with some drastic cooling. Oh and dual layer DVD RW etc. I'm going to keep the 9800XT as I'm not a great gamer.

CPU's going to be replaced with a 2400-M and I'm going to need some way of cooling it all. I don't think I'll be able to swing water cooling, but I have some ideas involving 120mm fans, SP-94Us, acetate tubes and a TEC.

Of course you know what's going to happen to the CPU.

Anyway I think that will tide me over until 64bit lands big time. I should get XP4000 out of that chip at least. Thing is though, these days everything I do is choked by RAM anyway.
Tue 10/08/04 at 11:51
Regular
"relocated"
I'd agree with Turbonutter that this is a bad time to upgrade. If you've already got a 2400 then upgrading now isn't critical because that processor will still handle most things you throw at it; and if you just upgrade your CPU then you'll likely find a new bottleneck amongst your older components. I think you'd be better waiting a few months for PCI express, cheaper 64 bit CPUs etc etc - or at least until Half Life 2 comes out.

I'm in the same sort of situation myself - chugging along with an 1800XP and wanting to upgrade to something capable of playing Doom, HL2 and Far Cry with decent frame rates. I've got the money (thanks Barclaycard!) but I don't want to be lumbered with something that isn't very upgradeable for the next few years.
Tue 10/08/04 at 01:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
64bit is the future, no two ways about it. However this is a bit of a bad time for a computer upgrade, if you ask me. All the 32bit chips are too slow and all the 64bit chips are too expensive. 64bit is quick, but it's not amazing, it's just how things are I'm afraid. Really your solution to this problem would be a dual CPU motherboard. It might not be as expensive as you'd think. I don't know if Windows will properly handle multiple CPUs properly, but I see no reason why it shouldn't.
Mon 09/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
Nope, since I use Photoshop CS.

Id just like to know what its all about.

Nevermind, useless begger.
Mon 09/08/04 at 19:35
Regular
A computer article once said, "If you don't know what it means, then you probably won't need it." I think it applies here.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:37
Regular
I have a 64bit processor thing, no idea what it does or anything... but its fast ;)

Anyone care to explain what the 64bit malarky is to me?

And nobody say "Its no use since theres no 64bit programs yet" - Photoshop CS is... but I dont know what the relevance is to 64bit stuff.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Buy a cheaper chip and overclock it, as far as i know you can get a reasonable overclock from the majority of A64 processors.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.