GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo shed their 'kiddie' image"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/06 at 07:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Nintendo have been bashed for years for producing 'kiddie consoles'. Older fans have always argued that with Capcom on board and the Resident Evil franchise in full swing nothing could be further from the truth, but for some reason the image persisted.

There were doubts about who the Wii was being aimed at and whether older gamers could finally hold up their heads proudly and declare that the Wii seriously catered for the elder wedge of the gamer demographic. Wii will bring an advanced new interface and a sophisticated new control system, surely something that will appeal to the mature gamer. Yet still the arguments raged.

Until today, when Shigeru Miyamoto, speaking in an interview with Business Week, finally put the issue beyond doubt by affirming what fans had always contended: Nintendo does not make kiddie consoles.

He explained that much of the thinking behind the Wii came from trying to imagine what would convince mothers to buy a console for their kids - "We talked about basic concepts and goals, not about the technical specifications of the console.

"Our goal was to come up with a machine that moms would want..."

Sorted.

Sat 18/11/06 at 21:38
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
>
> No he didn't but he did say they marketed it to moms, it's a
> very odd way to explain things. :D
Sat 18/11/06 at 17:32
"Darkness, always"
I'm not entirely fussed about where they market it. Playstations will always, to me, be synonymous with people who have neither cut nor washed their hair in far too long, think GTA games are cool simply because you can commit random acts of violence, and laugh like an episode of Beavis and Butthead on repeat.

Doesn't mean that, at some point in the future, I won't own one myself.

I'll certainly continue to buy Nintendo products for the forseeable future, due to their innovative nature. It's the only thing out there that offers me something I can't have on my PC right now.
Sat 18/11/06 at 15:22
"possibly impossible"
Not really, he didn't say 'this is specifically for mums', but they will market it for parents to buy for their kids, which is a great idea considering how much more appealing it would be for parents and also it works in Nintendo's favour for all those parents wanting to get their kids a surprise console but not knowing what to get.

It didn't even sound like it was exclusively for mums, he was just saying 'yeah, we wanted to make it appeal to mums' which makes perfect business sense.
Fri 17/11/06 at 23:26
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
> But he didn't say it wasn't.

No he didn't but he did say they marketed it to moms, it's a very odd way to explain things. :D
Fri 17/11/06 at 17:37
Regular
The wii is milftastic :D
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:52
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
So instead of a kiddie's console it's now a mother's console. That's a much better angle to approach from :-D

Miyamoto just wants some hot mother loving really
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:51
"possibly impossible"
But he didn't say it wasn't.

They've always said that Nintendo are a family company who's ideal market (especially for the Wii) is the whole family.

It's like the difference between Disneyland and Alton Towers. While Alton Towers does do family tickets, there's hardly anything there for small kids. But Disneyland has loads for small kids plus rollercoasters, film and science parks etc for older people. But you often think of Disneyland being for kids.

I think that's a pretty good analogy.
Fri 17/11/06 at 12:53
Regular
"8==="
That moms would want to get for their kids... errr.

So they don't make consoles for kids they just market to the kid's moms and then ultimately the console gets played by the kid once the mom's bought it for them.

ie Kiddie's console. :D

Nice logic Shigsy, muuuhhhh!
Fri 17/11/06 at 09:05
"possibly impossible"
Well, he would, wouldn't he? I mean if you're looking to sell consoles and the other two big rivals are trying to sell them just to adults, you want to aim at kids.

So, the Wii is a Family console, I think that was clear from the start. It's family friendly with the option of having adult games, something the whole family could use, like a TV. PS3 is for hard core gamers that can afford the console and want high-definition as standard, and the 360 is for...um...well, I've got one and I still don't know who they're aimed at...
Fri 17/11/06 at 07:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Nintendo have been bashed for years for producing 'kiddie consoles'. Older fans have always argued that with Capcom on board and the Resident Evil franchise in full swing nothing could be further from the truth, but for some reason the image persisted.

There were doubts about who the Wii was being aimed at and whether older gamers could finally hold up their heads proudly and declare that the Wii seriously catered for the elder wedge of the gamer demographic. Wii will bring an advanced new interface and a sophisticated new control system, surely something that will appeal to the mature gamer. Yet still the arguments raged.

Until today, when Shigeru Miyamoto, speaking in an interview with Business Week, finally put the issue beyond doubt by affirming what fans had always contended: Nintendo does not make kiddie consoles.

He explained that much of the thinking behind the Wii came from trying to imagine what would convince mothers to buy a console for their kids - "We talked about basic concepts and goals, not about the technical specifications of the console.

"Our goal was to come up with a machine that moms would want..."

Sorted.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.