GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future Of Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 12:44
Regular
"~DPG~"
I remember the days of the NES, SNES and Sega Megadrive very clearly. The consoles produced games of an excelent quality and most of the gameplay can't be beaten today. There are a few great games today that can be considered 'classic', but none really match the standard of the 'retro years' as i like to call them.

I can't remember playing a game on the next-gen consoles, which i thought would be 'amazing'. Sure, i like alot of the games that are out. In fact, most of them are good. When Nintendo and Sega were in there prime, there was more time for them to create good games, not like the rushed ones we have today.

New games tend to boast gorgeous graphics, and as a gamer, i have to admit, i like the updated graphics, but when a game has great graphics but poor gameplay i can't help but think what has gone wrong. Already manufacturers are talking about bringing out ultimate consoles, with top of the range specs and accessories, but when they haven't even perfected the current consoles.

The main change since the games of the 90's has been the sucessful online gaming. At the moment, all three next-gen consoles can go online, so you can have multiplayer games over the internet. I don't know about you, but could this ruin the future of gaming?

It seems now, that manufacturers are just after money. Maybe thats why the quality of games doesn't seems so high. Take Halo 2 for instance. All the hype surrounding it says it'll change gaming forever. Well what happen if it turns out to be a let down.

What i am trying to get at, is that the dramatic increase of opportunities with consoles may ruin gaming. Yes, it might be fun to play a game with someone over the internet, but the games don't seem to have the quality anymore.

Look at Mario Kart 64. Great game, really fun on single player and even better on multiplayer. Loads of great level design ect.

Then on the Gamcube Mario Kart: Double Dash, turned out to be a real disappointment. It was short, not as fun and had online capabilities, but that didn't help the sistuation. Maybe online gaming will improve, maybe this was just an accident by Nintendo, so Sony and Microsoft can learn from Nintendo's bad luck. Who knows? I'm sure we'll find out in the future...
Fri 19/11/04 at 12:50
Regular
i know we are due for wireless everything including broadband as i read an website saying they have made this technology which is going to be built into lamp posts so aslong as your near a lamp post you can have broadband when its coming out god knows.
Fri 22/10/04 at 18:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I remember my first win. Actually I don't. I remember the one where I got Conker's BFD. Classic. And the one where I swapped a Banjo-Tooie Pre-Purchase for WWF No Mercy. Not Clever.

Need to Play Banjo again, that was classic. Whatever happened to Rare. Grabbed By The Ghoulies.. pah.

I think the Future of Gaming will involve Wireless Pads. Broadband-less Wireless Connectivity to all the people within a 10 mile radius of your machine. (Wi-Fi?) (Bluetooth?) Blu-Ray discs.. because they beat HD-DVD hands down and more innovation from Nintendo. Not least because most of their 1st/2nd party DS games look awesome!

I might write something about that Wi-Fi potential, actually. Might mean I don't have to shell out £30 for Evo 4. If I write it well. Which I probably won't. Because I have loud music on putting me off.

Anyway...

[make-this-text-spin-round-and-glow-pink]Game [/make-this-text-spin-round-and-glow-pink]
Fri 22/10/04 at 11:55
Regular
"MOH rocks!"
Well, what would you think. If graphics on games became so advanced that it looked exactly like the world we live in, do you think the games would be as good to play?
Thu 05/08/04 at 21:26
Regular
Believe me, I've wrote about it and won many a time before about the general future of games. The trick is for these people to write something original. Although hard to do, all they need to do is to rub a few brain cells together and they'll come up with a new viewpoint or a new concept.

For example, over four years ago my first win was for writing about toasters being internet accessable.
Thu 05/08/04 at 14:48
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Everyone's trying to write GAD winning topics on the popularity of games these days, even though I already did that a couple of weeks back... And even then I'm sure there's still a bright future for video gaming.
Thu 05/08/04 at 14:43
Regular
Mario Kart Double Dash!! was a larger game than Mario Kart 64.

And developers have always been in it for the money. What other motive have they got for creating games to sell?
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:44
Regular
"~DPG~"
I remember the days of the NES, SNES and Sega Megadrive very clearly. The consoles produced games of an excelent quality and most of the gameplay can't be beaten today. There are a few great games today that can be considered 'classic', but none really match the standard of the 'retro years' as i like to call them.

I can't remember playing a game on the next-gen consoles, which i thought would be 'amazing'. Sure, i like alot of the games that are out. In fact, most of them are good. When Nintendo and Sega were in there prime, there was more time for them to create good games, not like the rushed ones we have today.

New games tend to boast gorgeous graphics, and as a gamer, i have to admit, i like the updated graphics, but when a game has great graphics but poor gameplay i can't help but think what has gone wrong. Already manufacturers are talking about bringing out ultimate consoles, with top of the range specs and accessories, but when they haven't even perfected the current consoles.

The main change since the games of the 90's has been the sucessful online gaming. At the moment, all three next-gen consoles can go online, so you can have multiplayer games over the internet. I don't know about you, but could this ruin the future of gaming?

It seems now, that manufacturers are just after money. Maybe thats why the quality of games doesn't seems so high. Take Halo 2 for instance. All the hype surrounding it says it'll change gaming forever. Well what happen if it turns out to be a let down.

What i am trying to get at, is that the dramatic increase of opportunities with consoles may ruin gaming. Yes, it might be fun to play a game with someone over the internet, but the games don't seem to have the quality anymore.

Look at Mario Kart 64. Great game, really fun on single player and even better on multiplayer. Loads of great level design ect.

Then on the Gamcube Mario Kart: Double Dash, turned out to be a real disappointment. It was short, not as fun and had online capabilities, but that didn't help the sistuation. Maybe online gaming will improve, maybe this was just an accident by Nintendo, so Sony and Microsoft can learn from Nintendo's bad luck. Who knows? I'm sure we'll find out in the future...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.