GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I wonder if the Daily Mail will report this..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 12:27
Regular
"tokyo police club"
[URL]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3918[/URL]

Taken from gamesindustry.biz (see link above)

"Fresh information raises new questions over media conduct

Police involved in the Stefan Pakeerah murder case have revealed that the copy of Manhunt at the centre of a tabloid media frenzy last week was found in the possession of the victim, not the killer.

Newspapers and TV news channels gave significant coverage to the case last week, when the mother of the victim claimed that 17-year-old killer Warren LeBlanc had been "obsessed" with the ultra-violent Rockstar game.

However, according to a spokesperson for Leicestershire Constabulary, the police division which investigated the murder, the link is even more tenuous than was reported previously - with the game being found not in the room of the murderer, but of the victim.

"The video game was not found in Warren LeBlanc's room, it was found in Stefan Pakeerah's room," the spokesperson said today. "Leicestershire Constabulary stands by its response that police investigations did not uncover any connections to the video game, the motive for the incident was robbery."

While it's still entirely plausible that LeBlanc was obsessed with the game, as he and Pakeerah were friends, this new information does raise questions about how the 14-year-old Pakeerah was able to obtain a copy of the 18-rated game; and also about the conduct of the British media in reporting on the story.

The tabloid press, in particular the extremist right-wing Daily Mail newspaper, have already been heavily criticised for ignoring the police reports and prosecution statements which gave the motive for the murder as robbery, with LeBlanc killing his younger friend in order to pay back a drugs-related debt. Few tabloid stories made any mention of the drugs angle.

The news will also pour cold water on the intentions of American lawyer Jack Thompson, infamous for his chasing of cases relating to what he judges to be immoral media. Thompson apparently plans to bring a major lawsuit on behalf of the Pakeerah family against Rockstar; the revelation that the game belonged to their son, not to the killer, may well mean that this case is quietly dropped."
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:27
Regular
"tokyo police club"
[URL]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3918[/URL]

Taken from gamesindustry.biz (see link above)

"Fresh information raises new questions over media conduct

Police involved in the Stefan Pakeerah murder case have revealed that the copy of Manhunt at the centre of a tabloid media frenzy last week was found in the possession of the victim, not the killer.

Newspapers and TV news channels gave significant coverage to the case last week, when the mother of the victim claimed that 17-year-old killer Warren LeBlanc had been "obsessed" with the ultra-violent Rockstar game.

However, according to a spokesperson for Leicestershire Constabulary, the police division which investigated the murder, the link is even more tenuous than was reported previously - with the game being found not in the room of the murderer, but of the victim.

"The video game was not found in Warren LeBlanc's room, it was found in Stefan Pakeerah's room," the spokesperson said today. "Leicestershire Constabulary stands by its response that police investigations did not uncover any connections to the video game, the motive for the incident was robbery."

While it's still entirely plausible that LeBlanc was obsessed with the game, as he and Pakeerah were friends, this new information does raise questions about how the 14-year-old Pakeerah was able to obtain a copy of the 18-rated game; and also about the conduct of the British media in reporting on the story.

The tabloid press, in particular the extremist right-wing Daily Mail newspaper, have already been heavily criticised for ignoring the police reports and prosecution statements which gave the motive for the murder as robbery, with LeBlanc killing his younger friend in order to pay back a drugs-related debt. Few tabloid stories made any mention of the drugs angle.

The news will also pour cold water on the intentions of American lawyer Jack Thompson, infamous for his chasing of cases relating to what he judges to be immoral media. Thompson apparently plans to bring a major lawsuit on behalf of the Pakeerah family against Rockstar; the revelation that the game belonged to their son, not to the killer, may well mean that this case is quietly dropped."
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:30
Regular
Hah! Brilliant.

The Police themselves making the newspapers look like the morons they are.

I bet Rockstar ain't complaining though!
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:34
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Great spot Mattribute.
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:36
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Most shops that were selling Manhunt have run out of copies, according to the BBC.

I bet Rockstar North are uber pleased now they'r definitely clean (and showered in money)
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:48
Regular
"That's right!"
I'd LOVE to meet the head morons at the Daily Mail, tell them I read their paper every day (I honestly do) and that every day they find new ways to shock, offend and amuse me.

Just today some bint was going on about all men being lap dance obsessed perverts. Pft.
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Did you notice that a couple of pages on they had a big picture of a woman in her underwear? Standard Daily Mail-brand hypocrisy.
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:02
Regular
"That's right!"
They've always got pictures of women in their underwear. But then men aren't meant to read the Mail.

I challenged my mum about it once, asking why she would read a fascist, racist, sexist, Torrie paper which was opinion, not news. She said she ignored the columns and just read the main stories.

But they're crammed full of opinion as well. The whole thing is biased.
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:02
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
One of the Staffies has obviously picked up on the story:

[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/n_3180-news.html[/URL]
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:34
"possibly impossible"
The problem is that the general public may not get to hear about this news and continue to wrongly believe that a computer game was responsible for the death of a kid.
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:41
Regular
pb: Exactly.

Like it says in the report.

"may well mean that this case is quietly dropped"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.