GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Television - Incredible Educational Tool or just a Sedative?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/08/04 at 22:57
Regular
Really, I often sit there and watch the box and wonder just why the hell I am wasting my life staring into space.

Advertisements are the best example. I don't know who these people are that create these god-awful monstrosities, but they are clearly so out of touch with reality it's almost disturbing. They really think that a couple of grinning lethargic simpletons harping on about some cheesy ware or another is going to arouse my interest in their product? No, it makes me feel anxious, irritable, and generally feel resentment towards these morons for having wasted my time. Genuine humour can be found in some of these adverts, but it's a case of one in a thousand, and even so I really could live without them. These people are ruining the world, on-screen and off.

Other times, when I'm watching an incredibly moving and inspiring documentary on a crisis on the other side of the world, or the cutting edge of science, I praise the flashing box for what it can give me. I can learn for free (well almost) about things I've always been curious about, even stuff I had no idea I might be curious about. I fire off these facts much to my friends annoyance in the pub etc, but it's good to have a knowledge of things that you might never otherwise learn about. For this, the television must surely be praised.

But I cannot, and will not even try to understand, just why anyone would choose to waste such a large portion of their day concerning themselves with what some brain dead outcast of society said to another, in a fake house full of video cameras. This is called entertainment? Has society and our way of life really become SO cumbersome and drawn out that we have to spend time discussing the activities of knuckledragger #1, and what mouthbreather #4 said to windowlicker #2? The inventor of the television would surely be thoroughly gutted that it's potential was being poured down the toilet.

I really don't watch that much telly - just an hour or so a day, if that, usually. But I've recently been wondering just where that time might better be spent. Listening to music typing this most probably .... oh the ironing.

Views?
Wed 04/08/04 at 23:01
Regular
Yuri_Fan wrote:
> Did you watch 'Peter Kay Live'? Classic.

It is a classic, but I can get that on DVD. I'm talking about normal every day telly here, not one off specials.

> Or what about 'My Family' when Nick was in it?

comedy is probably the only thing I watch besides documentaries etc. but no my family, oh no.
Wed 04/08/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
You must be wrong. Television's good.

Did you watch 'Peter Kay Live'? Classic.
Or what about 'My Family' when Nick was in it?
Wed 04/08/04 at 22:57
Regular
Really, I often sit there and watch the box and wonder just why the hell I am wasting my life staring into space.

Advertisements are the best example. I don't know who these people are that create these god-awful monstrosities, but they are clearly so out of touch with reality it's almost disturbing. They really think that a couple of grinning lethargic simpletons harping on about some cheesy ware or another is going to arouse my interest in their product? No, it makes me feel anxious, irritable, and generally feel resentment towards these morons for having wasted my time. Genuine humour can be found in some of these adverts, but it's a case of one in a thousand, and even so I really could live without them. These people are ruining the world, on-screen and off.

Other times, when I'm watching an incredibly moving and inspiring documentary on a crisis on the other side of the world, or the cutting edge of science, I praise the flashing box for what it can give me. I can learn for free (well almost) about things I've always been curious about, even stuff I had no idea I might be curious about. I fire off these facts much to my friends annoyance in the pub etc, but it's good to have a knowledge of things that you might never otherwise learn about. For this, the television must surely be praised.

But I cannot, and will not even try to understand, just why anyone would choose to waste such a large portion of their day concerning themselves with what some brain dead outcast of society said to another, in a fake house full of video cameras. This is called entertainment? Has society and our way of life really become SO cumbersome and drawn out that we have to spend time discussing the activities of knuckledragger #1, and what mouthbreather #4 said to windowlicker #2? The inventor of the television would surely be thoroughly gutted that it's potential was being poured down the toilet.

I really don't watch that much telly - just an hour or so a day, if that, usually. But I've recently been wondering just where that time might better be spent. Listening to music typing this most probably .... oh the ironing.

Views?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.