GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario - Had His Day?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/08/04 at 18:23
Regular
"a.k.a King"
We all know who he is. If you don’t, where have you been over the last 20 years? Mario is the most recognised icon in the gaming industry. Miyamoto’s creation has captivated audiences from children to adults alike, and has appeared in more video games than Michael Schumacher has won F1 races. But as we enter the next generation of console gaming, is Mario still that character who stars in such fantastic titles, or has Mario had his day, and is desperately trying to stay in the industry for the sake of it?

When the arcade game of Donkey Kong came out, people looked at that low-res character on the screen, wearing a cap and dungarees and though to themselves ‘Will this guy become a star?’ And sure enough, it only took Mario a few years to star in some of the greatest video games ever created. Hitting the big time on the NES, Mario was the subject of the Super Mario Bros. series. When people played Mario Bros. for the first time, they knew that it was a masterpiece.

Then, as the years rolled on, Mario left the platforming and started to explore more of the industry. People today claim that Super Mario Kart is one of the best racers ever, and sure enough Mario’s racing title would inspire every ‘kids racer’ for the next 10 years and beyond. It then didn’t take Mario long to enter the world of sport either, with his Mario Golf and Tennis titles, which brought all the trademark of Mario to these everyday sports.

But we all know Mario for his platforming adventures, and that’s where he astonished us the most. Super Mario World on the SNES was pure magic, introducing characters such as Yoshi to the series and acclaimed as the greatest 2D game ever by many people. And sure enough, it was the little Italian who would again change the face of the gaming industry by going 3D in Super Mario 64. Was there any stopping this guy? He had starred in some of the greatest video games ever made, made more cameo appearances than any other gaming icon, had hundreds of games with his name in the title and basically revolutionised the gaming industry.

But now, in 2004, is Mario the character he once was? It now seems Mario is running out of ideas fast. His Gamecube debut, Super Mario Sunshine, was full of originality but lacked the greatness the likes of Super Mario 64 possessed. And now when we buy a Mario title, it’s a case of ‘Been there, seen it, got the T-shirt’. Look at how many re-makes of his classic games are on the GBA, and his Gamecube titles just seem to be updates of his classic titles. Mario Kart: Double Dash, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, it just seems a case of ‘Take an old Mario game, chuck in a few new features and add a bit on the end of the name.’

Mario 128 will be the acid test for Mario. Titles such as Paper Mario 2, Mario Tennis and Mario vs. DK for example will be very good, but not ground-breaking, like we have come to expect of Mario from the last few years. Miyamoto has promised Mario 128 will be a revolution in gaming, but is keeping the lid on his latest creation. If Mario 128 fails to impress, then maybe Link or Samus will have to take over Mario’s roll, and make their own golf and karting games for us. If Mario is to keep his status, he needs to star in new and original titles that can live up to his great games in the past, and not star games by the name of Mario Kart: The Ultimate Karting Simulator and Mario Golf: Mushroom Kingdom Tour 2010. They say the Big N never let us down - well they need to do something for Mario very soon.
Sat 07/08/04 at 07:59
Regular
"8==="
Johnson wrote:
> I reckon they should do a Maio game where he is actually doing his job
> - plumbing.

Nintendo already have him plumbing the depths of N64 sequel hell as we speak.
Fri 06/08/04 at 22:54
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I reckon they should do a Maio game where he is actually doing his job - plumbing.
Fri 06/08/04 at 21:55
Regular
Mario 64 is probably the best Mario game to date however my favourite of all time has to be Super Mario World for the pure fact it is my most ever played game. It also reminds me of the good times when me and my cousin stayed up till early hours of the morning at my Grans house. We must have completed it 20 - 30 times between us.
Fri 06/08/04 at 21:42
Regular
"tokyo police club"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Dear, dear, poor, poor child.
> Never quote Adrian Mole. Never. That's another 10 minutes added to
> your already slow and painful death.
>
> Burn the books.
> Ultimate crapness.

I was young, what can I say? I had no taste.

And what's 10 minutes on an eternity?
Fri 06/08/04 at 20:26
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Story telling has moved on, for some gamers the only thing that matters is the game itself but there is a new breed now that want more rounded proper characters and stories in a game, a stereo-typical italien plumber can't compete with a Cloud Or Sephiroth as a character, gaming has moved on to a higher level.
Fri 06/08/04 at 20:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mario roolz
Fri 06/08/04 at 20:17
"period drama"
mattributé wrote:
> This reminds me of a bit from Adrian Mole, where his old mate Nigel
> delivers him a dress or something..
>
> 'What are you up to now?'
> 'I'm a delivery man'
> 'I thought you were gay!'
> 'It's a lifestyle choice, not a job'

Dear, dear, poor, poor child.
Never quote Adrian Mole. Never. That's another 10 minutes added to your already slow and painful death.

Burn the books.
Ultimate crapness.
Thu 05/08/04 at 21:04
Regular
mattributé wrote:
> UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Super Mario World was the last mario game I ever played.
>
> Well how would you know that 3D broke him then? eh?

I didn't say 'up to' Mario World, I said 'last', so that's the most recent game of the whole thing I've played.

Nerrr.
Thu 05/08/04 at 17:16
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Well, you're a student, no? A school child. Do you have pass-times? Yes, you do. Have you ever played Tennis? Probably. Golf? Probably.

You don't have to do one thing, you know.

This reminds me of a bit from Adrian Mole, where his old mate Nigel delivers him a dress or something..

'What are you up to now?'
'I'm a delivery man'
'I thought you were gay!'
'It's a lifestyle choice, not a job'
Thu 05/08/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I dont really understand the story of Mario, isn't he supposed to be a plumber?

A plumber play golf and tennis?

Hmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.