GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"English Bad Guys"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/08/04 at 11:30
"possibly impossible"
So, the American film makers are obsessed with the English playing evil bad guys, the latest being Alfred Molina (ok, so he had a Spanish father and Italian mother, but he's still English!) in Spider-man 2.

Why? Well, some would see it as the gradual demonising of the English (seemingly spearheaded by Mel Gibson) or just a fad, but I think that the English just make better bad guys.

Think about it, all that theatre training, classical texts and background in melodrama makes a perfect boiling pot to create the ultimate bad guy persona for the screen. In real life the evil guys would just be some nobody, but when you have a screen bad guy, you need them to be a little bit more....dramatic, and that's where the English excel in acting.

Think for a minute of the English hero, more often than not they have a dark streak in them, even before it became trendy for the American hero to do the same. Even Bond, the quintessential English hero has that dark side, so where better to find your evil genius or criminal mastermind?

So, far from being a bad thing, let the evil English villain reign, though perhaps Hollywood could offer us a few more hero roles as well...
Wed 04/08/04 at 01:26
Regular
It's just America.
They don't like people with different accents playing the hero in films, and an American being the bad guy.
250 million people prefer to see their race agaisnt yours (Hey, some of them are still pent up since the Independance wars).
Tue 03/08/04 at 23:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yeah, Alan Rickman is great.

Shoot the glass.
Tue 03/08/04 at 23:39
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I was going to say Anthony Hopkins/Hannibal Lecter but he is of course Welsh, but i don't suppose the Americans know any different.
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:36
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
Anybody ever read Essex Boys?
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:35
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
America, look out. The Brits are coming. (although some are already there)

The best brit villain has to be Molina. He'd teach Tobey Maguire a thing or two.
Tue 03/08/04 at 16:04
Regular
"you've got a beard"
pb wrote:
> Ultimate English Bad Guy?
>
> Alan Rickman in Robin Hood.
>
> The rest of the film may have been American crap, but he made it
> worth watching.

yeah, he was double-awsome in that movie... :)
Tue 03/08/04 at 16:04
Regular
"Excommunicated"
pb wrote:
> Ultimate English Bad Guy?
>
> Alan Rickman in Robin Hood.

He was excellent in that role
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
the thing is us brits can play anything really, an americans are so far up their own a$$es that they would never be seen as evil would they?
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:44
"possibly impossible"
Dracula
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:13
Regular
Well, everyone was supposed (listen up, Kevin Costner) to be English in that film, so it had to be a British bad guy.

I couldn't name a specific film, but Gary Oldman has it nailed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.