GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Screen capture from DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/08/04 at 15:14
Regular
"not dead"
I know, I know I only ever come in here when I want sometihng...

Does anyone know of any free software I can get hold of to allow be to capture an image from a DVD playing on my PC?

I tried a regular print screen, but you just get black - or the moving image if it's still playing.

Any ideas?
Sat 07/08/04 at 23:53
Regular
"Back For Good"
Never known Power DVD fail to take a snapshot no matter what the settings.

Try Power DVD ver 5 if your using XP or older.
Tue 03/08/04 at 09:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Just tried PowerDVD and it was greyed out, but once a movie is playing its available. I have a 9800 Pro so it might be due to that, as overlaying is on as I have the same problem with screen capture, its all black or if the movie is still playing you see the movie.
Mon 02/08/04 at 23:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Odd. It's just plain greyed out on mine. Not tried it with the new ATI yet though.
Mon 02/08/04 at 23:47
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well I use overlay as I get nothing from printing the screen, yet screen capture in PowerDVD works.
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That button never worked on my PowerDVD, I think it's disabled on machines using overlay, for the reasons below.
Mon 02/08/04 at 19:17
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Or just use a program like PowerDVD which has a capture button, which can capture to clipboard, file aswell as putting the image as your desktop image.
Mon 02/08/04 at 16:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That's because video overlay is enabled - it works a bit like "green screen" in the movies. Windows places a (nearly) black box on one section of the screen, and sends the images of your desktop to your graphics card for output to the monitor. Meanwhile your graphics card is also decoding your DVD, and it's been told by Windows to replace every pixel of that (nearly) black colour with the newly decoded DVD data. The result is you can watch DVDs while having your graphics card bother about CPU-intensive DVD decoding by usings its hardware acceleration features, instead of decoding the DVD in Windows, which would make your system a lot slower..

The upshot of all this is you hardly ever really notice it, unless of course you want to take a screenshot - as you've experienced. All you get is the (nearly) black box where your DVD is, because that's (ultimately) all that Windows thinks is there. It's out of Windows's hands by the time you get to displaying your DVD.

The solution to this is to disable overlay mode when you're playing your DVDs. Of the various tricks to doing this, my favourite method is as thus:

Find a suitable video file somewhere on your computer. Any WMV or AVI will do, probably MPGs too. I always use a DivX that I usually have lying around.

Open the file in your media player, and make sure it's playing.

Now, open your DVD player, so now you have your first video file playing, and a seperate DVD player. If you use WMP/zplayer to play both video files and DVDs, just use two separate instances.

Now, if you play your DVD you'll find it's not playing in overlay mode, because your graphics card can only handle one overlay at a time, and that's been reserved by the first video you opened. You can now take a screenshot of your DVD without incident. Hopefully :-)
Mon 02/08/04 at 15:14
Regular
"not dead"
I know, I know I only ever come in here when I want sometihng...

Does anyone know of any free software I can get hold of to allow be to capture an image from a DVD playing on my PC?

I tried a regular print screen, but you just get black - or the moving image if it's still playing.

Any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.