GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Weird PHP/ftp folder problem?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/07/04 at 21:45
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Not sure why, but I'm getting some weird characters appear in a data file stored online: "ÿþ"

The file is storing a password, but I'm fopening and echoing it for testing and it wasn't working as it should, which is why I noticed it. Anyone experienced this before? Is it a common problem, and is there a way around it? Can't really finish the site if I'm going to get funny letters appear in the data files generated - my client won't be happy with that!
Mon 02/08/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've sorted it now (I think) and, booger me, it was permissions! the folder the files were in was about 5 folders deep, and I'd forgotten to make one of them how it needed to be. D'oh - such a simple solution, and it had been bugging me for a while!
Sun 01/08/04 at 20:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er.. http headers? Clutching at straws here. May we see this in action?
Sun 01/08/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oh, it's with someone else. I never have any beef when I host with you lot, which is why I keep coming back. But this was for a mate/client who wanted non-dial-up access to the ftp folder.
Sun 01/08/04 at 14:29
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Is this hosted with us or another host?
Sun 01/08/04 at 14:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've downloaded the .data file, renamed it as .txt, opened it, and it's as it should be, which means it's happening somewhere between 'fopen' and the browser displaying it. Puzzling indeed.
Sun 01/08/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I'm not to sure whats up but I don't remember ÿþ being a valid ascii character although I could be wrong.
Sun 01/08/04 at 12:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
ASCII, because it's a text file, it always will be. Did I mention it's a Linux server? A mate of mine was telling me about some database log files that were sent to his work from a Linux server, and they returned funny, so maybe it's a common problem. I've left a note on their emergency forum bit, but whether they reply or not remains to be seen.
Sun 01/08/04 at 11:14
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Odd, it is putting the data in ascii format and not binary?
Fri 30/07/04 at 11:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
At the moment it's just a text file that I've changed to .data, and checked all the boxes off to make it writeable. But later I'll be creating .data files on the fly. I've never had a problem with this before, but I am using a different host to my normal one, so it was bound to go wrong.

I've even copied the data file back, changed it to .txt, and it's fine, whoch means it's something in how the page is displayed.
Fri 30/07/04 at 00:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Where's the data that you're putting in to this file coming from?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.