GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Will Not Boot... Mumble muble"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/07/04 at 17:41
Regular
"Digging!"
Hey all,

Today I started the PC, twas fine, and fired up Farcry. All was fine but then during the loading screen the pc just cut out, like it was a power cut, and at first I thought it was one. I then relised the moniter light was still on. Oh dear... Try to turn the PC on, nothing. Give it a good dust, take out all the expansion cards and unessisary hardware, check all the internal cables and try again. Nothing. Follow the troubleshooting section in the motherboard manual, nothing again. I don't think its caused by any shorts to the case as all the screws, spacers, whatever you want to call them are isolated. So I've norrowed it down to the PSU, CPU, RAM, or the motherboard itself. However I think it is most likely the PSU as it smells quite bad, like melting plastic, and makes a doggy noise when you connect the power... Also, I dout its the CPU as that is normally heat related, and the PC is set to bleep if the temp gets over 60 degrees, but it didn't, so I'm ruling the CPU out. I don't think its the RAM either, as then I'm farly sure it would boot up to a point and then give error beeps... So what do you all think is likely to be causing this, is there anyway I can test it without another peice of hardware, and is there anything stupid I may have missed (and don't say the fuse in the plug, I tried that...).

Many thanks for your help
S.A.
Fri 30/07/04 at 16:10
Regular
That power supply would be plenty as it is a true 330 watt PSU and not a normal "MAX" 300 watt PSU, you would be able to use that in most computers these days without any trouble.

Colin
Fri 30/07/04 at 09:43
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Allred wrote:
> Also, is this a good PSU, I beleive it is but its always good to have
> a second opinion:
>
> [URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1064560590&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=35881[/URL]
>
> Cheers

Both my machines at home have this power supply installed. Can't complain about either of them.
Fri 30/07/04 at 00:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
330W should be ok, although if you get a bigger one you will get more use of it when you come to upgrade.
Thu 29/07/04 at 21:37
Regular
"Digging!"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> If it that is the only component that smells badly then I would think
> it's the PSU and as for that Antec PSU as far as I remember they are
> a good brand but is the 330W enough for your PC.

Its currently on a 300 and its only a micro ATX case so I phyisically cant use masses of expanision cards to use up the power, I only use 1 HD, 2 CD drives, and the GFx card is only a Geforce 440MX, so that doesn't drain much power ;-)
Thu 29/07/04 at 18:39
Regular
If it that is the only component that smells badly then I would think it's the PSU and as for that Antec PSU as far as I remember they are a good brand but is the 330W enough for your PC.
Thu 29/07/04 at 18:03
Regular
"Digging!"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> Sounds like your PSU overheated.. in this weather if you don't have
> the right cooling in your PC it can happen.
The PSU has a nice big 12cm fan in it, but its made by a make I've never heard of, "Codegen", which is never good.

Anyway, is there anyway of knowing its the PSU for definite without having another one to try?

Also, is this a good PSU, I beleive it is but its always good to have a second opinion:

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1064560590&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=35881[/URL]

Cheers
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:52
Regular
Sounds like your PSU overheated.. in this weather if you don't have the right cooling in your PC it can happen.
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:41
Regular
"Digging!"
Hey all,

Today I started the PC, twas fine, and fired up Farcry. All was fine but then during the loading screen the pc just cut out, like it was a power cut, and at first I thought it was one. I then relised the moniter light was still on. Oh dear... Try to turn the PC on, nothing. Give it a good dust, take out all the expansion cards and unessisary hardware, check all the internal cables and try again. Nothing. Follow the troubleshooting section in the motherboard manual, nothing again. I don't think its caused by any shorts to the case as all the screws, spacers, whatever you want to call them are isolated. So I've norrowed it down to the PSU, CPU, RAM, or the motherboard itself. However I think it is most likely the PSU as it smells quite bad, like melting plastic, and makes a doggy noise when you connect the power... Also, I dout its the CPU as that is normally heat related, and the PC is set to bleep if the temp gets over 60 degrees, but it didn't, so I'm ruling the CPU out. I don't think its the RAM either, as then I'm farly sure it would boot up to a point and then give error beeps... So what do you all think is likely to be causing this, is there anyway I can test it without another peice of hardware, and is there anything stupid I may have missed (and don't say the fuse in the plug, I tried that...).

Many thanks for your help
S.A.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.