GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All About RAM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/04/01 at 11:38
Regular
We all know the basics about our computer's RAM,or random access memory.In human psychology analogies,it's the PC's short-term memory,where it holds all its "thoughts" or data while its "thinking" about them or processing them.RAM is expressed in megabytes(MB),if you've got 32MB of RAM,then your computer can hold 32,000 kilobytes of data in its memory.And of course,as gamers,we know that there's no such thing as too much RAM,the more you have,the more data your computer can keep in short-term memory and the smoother your games will run.But what about all the acronyms and abbreviations that represent different types of RAM?What's a SIMM to a DIMM and what the heck is RDRAM?Here's a short guide that will give you the information you need to be able to,if not speak eloquently about RAM,at least not come off as an ignoRAMus.Physically,RAM comes in two flavors:SIMMs and DIMMs.SIMM stands for single in-line memory module,and comes in a variety of formats,the most common being 30- and 72-pin.The older 30-pin format would handle data through only a 16-bit path,but as computers became faster,it became necessary to use the 72-pin format that could handle data in a 32-bit path.Before SIMMs,RAM was installed horizontally,or flat on the motherboard.The vertically mounted SIMMs take up a lot less space than previous memory.DIMMs,or dual in-line memory modules,are similar in appearance to SIMMs,with one key difference.The pins on opposing sides of a SIMM are electronically tied together,where the pins on opposites sides of a DIMM are kept separate,letting a DIMM handle data twice as fast,through a 64-bit pathway.On Pentium machines,SIMMs were required to be added in pairs,while DIMMs could be added singly.A motherboard's data pathway between the processor,its memory,and all its devices is called a bus.The higher the bus,the faster the system's overall speed.In 1998,Intel's BX chipset increased the bus speed from 66 to 100Mhz.Currently, system busses are moving up to 133Mhz,and RAM will follow.If you see memory that says it is PC 133 compliant,that means that it will be able to take advantage of a 133Mhz system bus' higher speed.Slower RAM will often work in a 133Mhz-bus system,but only up to the maximum speed for which it is configured (PC 100 or PC 66).There are a variety of RAM formats,mostly distinguished by how they handle data.RAM used to be distinguished between "static" or SRAM and "dynamic" or DRAM.Dynamic RAM must be continually refreshed or it will lose its data.Static RAM, on the other hand,doesn't need refreshing,and is therefore faster and more stable than DRAM.Unfortunately,it's also much more expensive,so it is most often used in other areas,such as a system's L2 cache.EDO,or extended data out memory,provides up to 20 percent faster data exchange between memory and the CPU,but only on systems that support it.That's why SDRAM,or synchronous DRAM, became more popular.SDRAM was only slightly faster than EDO RAM on a 66Mhz bus,but proved to be much faster on a 100Mhz bus.One of the newest types of RAM is RDRAM,or Rambus RAM.RDRAM is very fast and is able to take advantage of faster processors,such as Intel's Coppermine and AMD's Athlon,and faster motherboards.Intel ran into a few glitches with RDRAM and their new BX2 motherboards last year,but after those have been worked out,it seems that RDRAM is the direction that RAM is heading.Of course,there are many more types of RAM and even other types of DIMMs(such as the small-outline or SO DIMM designed for portable computers).If we've just piqued your interest and you're looking for more information about RAM,Kingston Technology,a major RAM manufacturer,has a thorough Ultimate Memory Guide at their Web site(e-mail me for URL).

So,there's the lo-down RAM for those interested.

So,after writing my fourth piece of the day,I'm begginning to get cramps.
Mon 30/04/01 at 07:50
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
In the future, games will need more RAM!

But aside from that, yes completely pointless. tut tut!

Darkness
Sun 29/04/01 at 19:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What was the point ion this topic? It's the FUTURE OF GAMING

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 19:41
Regular
Sonic, I've done a new thread on this. It's called Hope This Helps..... I've got it all explained.
Sun 29/04/01 at 19:35
That's irritating... I might actually skip the P4 all together, wait for P5.
Sun 29/04/01 at 19:34
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
One mistake (I've only read the first few lines... use paragraphs!)... 32 megabytes is NOT 32,000 kilabytes!

There are 8 bits in a byte
1024 bytes in a kilabyte (2 to the power 10 u see!)
1024 kilabytes in a megabyte (as above)
1000 megabytes in a gigabyte
1000 gigabytes in a terabyte... and so on

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 19:23
Regular
By the way, the new Pentium 4 chips run a 400MHx bus.

They need special RAM that runs at 200Mhz, so we're back to installing RAM in pairs again, which is a pain as a sizeable percentage of motherbouards come with three RAM slots.
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:31
Regular
I tried that.

I bought a 128MB Dimm from SR, and when I put it into my computer, it didn't recognise it til I took out my two 32MB simms....(makes up 64MB RAM)

So you either by another 2 simms which I think have to be the same as the ones you've already got, or replace them with dimms
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:13
Regular
If you have more than 2 memory slots is it possible to have both simms and dimms in a computer or won't they work together.
Sun 29/04/01 at 12:14
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I know you were!Stop the madness!:):D:0
Sun 29/04/01 at 12:13
shaneo wrote:
> Come back Er-No,I need you to back me up in my argument with TW.He
> thinks im / not ---

i was just jokin mate!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.